5.0 out of 5 stars It's Amazing
This book has taught me so much I wouldn't know where I'd be without. Others have already spoken to all it offers, so I'm gong to limit myself to the folks who've trashed it.
First, this is a book of exercises. You either do them or you don't. But anyone who "flips through the book at the library," then complains it has nothing to offer is like someone who goes to...
Published on March 24 2004 by Christopher A. Kubasik

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-complicated & wordy
"The Natural Way to Draw" by Kimon Nicolaides, 221 pages
Published on June 27 2004 by Bruce Bain

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Drawing Board, July 22 2002
Madd Witch (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study (Paperback)
I bought this book, as well as The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, as a gift for my husband in an attempt to lure him back to his art table. This book asks you to put aside everything you think you know about drawing and relearn from scratch. You aren't simply learning to draw a copy of what your eyes see, you learn to draw from your minds eye aswell. To see the shape and form and not just the object as sections. I'm not a good reviewer. I never know what I might say that will give someone a positive impression, but I do know that this book will help a beginner who honestly wants to learn and an established artist who feels they have more to learn. And don't we all have more to learn?

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Masterpiece, Dec 29 2002
Spiros D. Garbis (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
Kimon Nicolaides' book shines so brightly amid the darkness of todays reality of fluf, quick-fixes, and superficiality. This book exemplifies what perfection is all about and, as such, can serve as a guide on how to sincerely enrich our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The natural Way, Jan. 8 2004
Thomas( Doc Savage 45) (St. James, MN United States) - See all my reviews
After reviewing the other reviews there may be nothing to say. I first encountered this book while brousing in a book store after my art classes at the Art Institute of Chicago. The best thing I remembered was be prepared to throw away your first five thousand mistakes. Whoaa! Nicolides tells us " There is a vast difference between drawing and making drawings. The things you will do-over and over again- are but practice." This is a wonderful course of learning vs. drawing. I have given this text to older children as a learning tool. It is better than physical therapy for people who have visual motor problems. No sane person wants to sit and produce 25 drawings in a half hour. Many people say I can do that but do not understand how long it may take each person to accomplish the same task. I learned to cut and pound as a little boy but it required a mentor to teach me finess. It requires experience to teach me patience. The rest is your passion for art. It is a mentor on your bookshelf if you choose to take this path.

4.0 out of 5 stars A staple for the serious artist..., Feb. 25 2012
This one is well known among art students. All the basics covered. Easy to read and understand. I have been through it several times and refer to it when I need a refresher or forgot how to do something or looking for a technique...

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip school and use this!, Oct. 4 2014
Why go to art school when you can just follow this book's drawing schedule. I'm taking a college drawing class and all the teacher does is use this book. Save money and get this!

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-complicated & wordy, June 27 2004
Bruce Bain "Romans 9:33/Remember Jackie Robinson" (Englewood, CO United States) - See all my reviews
"The Natural Way to Draw" by Kimon Nicolaides, 221 pages
Nicolaides book is often compared to "Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain. Now I understand why. They are both complicated, overly-intellectualized approaches to drawing. Nicoliades writes the better complication however, because his book is approximately 60% wordy text/40% pictures. Betty Edward's is approximately 80% wordy text/20% pictures.
The quote from the back cover, with the full page photo of Nicoliades shows how narrow an approach he holds:
"There is only one right way to draw and that is a perfectly natural way." -Kimon Nicolaides
Anyone who knows anything understands that there are as many approaches to drawing as there are people. If Nicoliades is simply telling us that all ways of drawing are "natural ways" it is a redundant statement, because nobody is arguing anywhere that anyone's drawing is unnatural. Such tautological complications of basic drawing show Nicolaides approach as wordy and intellectualized.
The gesture drawings in the early chapters are uninspiring. The rest of the sparse illustrations seem to come from either student drawings and master reproductions. There are just too few of them. Nicolaides' approach to art is tedious and discouraging and nobody should be expected to read through 221 pages of boring text.
There are much better books on the market with less text and more illustration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for people who can draw several hours a day for years, Oct. 12 2003
Michael (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on the reviews here at Amazon, and that was over 4 years ago when there were very little reviews. I wish I had looked at it in the bookstore first because this book wasn't for me. First let me say I agree with almost all the reviews here. Whether you like this book or not will depend on what you want to do. If you're like me, and only want to draw as a hobby, this book is NOT for you. The book requires exercises that must be done every day. It amounts to a couple years of drawing exercises, and that's if done every day. Who has time for that? After that, if you're still interested, I strongly suggest you take a look at the book in person. The quality of the drawings in the book are pretty bad in my opinion. They're scribbles. If I drew like that after 2 years of daily exercises, I'd cut off my drawing hand. Look closely at the cover, look at the picture on the left and right, that is what this book teaches. The drawing in the middle is misleading in my opinion because there are very few drawings like that. So now I've concluded that this book is for people who want to draw scribbles every day for 2 years. A serious art student maybe, but the average person wanting to learn to draw I don't think so.
I strongly recommend "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards if you're a total beginner. If you're not a beginner, my advice is to either continue practicing or find another book. I really doubt this book is for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Modern art junk, Nov. 30 2003
I browsed a copy of this book at the library and I looked at paintings done by Nicolaides on the internet. As far as I can determine, it seems he was just another deluded member of the modern art movement of the early 20th century. I haven't seen any evidence that this book will make someone a good figure draftsman. Justin Sweet's drawings are terrible. I choose not to be one of the lemmings who follow this charlatan Nicolaides. If you want to be a great draftsman of the classical tradition, this book is utter rubbish. We did one minute scribbly gesture drawings in life drawing class, but only for warmup purposes.

The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study
The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study by Kimon Nicolaides (Paperback - Feb. 1 1990)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57