5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for beginners -- buy this before anything else!, June 23 2003
Ed (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pete Dunne on Bird Watching: The How-to, Where-to, and When-to of Birding (Paperback)
Pete Dunne does a wonderful job introducing the reader to the world of birding. He starts with the basics: field guides and binoculars, and explains how to choose among the various ones out there (there are so many that a beginner can easily become overwhelmed). As a beginner, I know that he saved me a lot of time and money on these two issues alone. Dunne then moves on to more advanced topics, such as basic birding techniques, where to go birding, and birding organizations. Inspirational anecdotes from his experience and other birders are peppered throughout, easing the reader into a specialized field while maintaining that natural curiousity about birds that all of us have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful For this beginner, Aug. 24 2014
I am just beginning to go bird watching, and while not extremely interested in finding different birds and species I am very interested in watching the activities of the birds I do see. I find Peter Dunnes book exceptional in it's explanation of how and where to start and I, especially, appreciated his explanation on what kind of binoculars to purchase. I found it to be VERY informative. So, while I am still in the process of beginning my new hobby of bird watching I find this book to be invaluable in getting started. Thank you Mr. Dunne!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dunne's Birding World: Don't Buy a Zoom bino!, Aug. 1 2003
This prolific writer on birding delivers again, taking many of his tried and true observations on birding and compiling them into an easy and interesting format. I would recommend this strongly to any birder but certainly beginning birders will profit the most from its insights. Especially good for anyone considering an optics purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, Sept. 8 2003
rah101 (Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I have both this book and "Sibley's Birding Basics." I think that Dunne's book is better for the beginner. It is written in a MUCH more engaging style, is not nearly as technical (e.g. in details of bird taxonomy), and has a lot more practical advice.

Pete Dunne on Bird Watching: The How-to, Where-to, and When-to of Birding