summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

on November 21, 2015
Excellent book. Since a got mine first, I bought a second one, as a present for someone that just start to make his first steps as a birder. Everything is written as you were in a conversation with Pete, or better yet, as if you were on the trail with Pete.
on August 24, 2014
I am just beginning to go bird watching, and while not extremely interested in finding different birds and species I am very interested in watching the activities of the birds I do see. I find Peter Dunnes book exceptional in it's explanation of how and where to start and I, especially, appreciated his explanation on what kind of binoculars to purchase. I found it to be VERY informative. So, while I am still in the process of beginning my new hobby of bird watching I find this book to be invaluable in getting started. Thank you Mr. Dunne!
on September 8, 2003
I have both this book and "Sibley's Birding Basics." I think that Dunne's book is better for the beginner. It is written in a MUCH more engaging style, is not nearly as technical (e.g. in details of bird taxonomy), and has a lot more practical advice.
on August 1, 2003
This prolific writer on birding delivers again, taking many of his tried and true observations on birding and compiling them into an easy and interesting format. I would recommend this strongly to any birder but certainly beginning birders will profit the most from its insights. Especially good for anyone considering an optics purchase.
on June 23, 2003
Pete Dunne does a wonderful job introducing the reader to the world of birding. He starts with the basics: field guides and binoculars, and explains how to choose among the various ones out there (there are so many that a beginner can easily become overwhelmed). As a beginner, I know that he saved me a lot of time and money on these two issues alone. Dunne then moves on to more advanced topics, such as basic birding techniques, where to go birding, and birding organizations. Inspirational anecdotes from his experience and other birders are peppered throughout, easing the reader into a specialized field while maintaining that natural curiousity about birds that all of us have.