5.0 out of 5 stars a sensible review
I've noticed that those people who discount this book usually do so for incredibly nitpicky reasons. There's more right with this book than there is wrong.
I don't pretend to say that dr. d'adamo is an infallible human, nor do I think he knows absolutely everything is right in his book. However, I do know that until I actually took the time to follow this diet, I...
Published on Aug. 22 2003 by Anthony Rosales

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it work?
Let me get a few things out of the way before reviewing the book itself. I've been on the Blood Type O diet for 9 months now and have lost 30 lbs. To give you some background I started a new job in a new industry about 3 years ago and had gained nearly 25 lbs due to the long hours and free snacks and dinners (which I ate because I was working 60-90 hours a week) - in...
Published on Jan. 24 2004 by Galen K. Valentine

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars To call it a "Diet Book" almost a disservice, May 13 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution (Hardcover)
This is a book about individuality that just happens to have a dietary component. A very good book, I might add

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 24 2014
Loved the knowledge this book gave. Following food list, feel great already and only 1 week in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another food fad fairy tale, full of plot holes, June 21 2003
By A Customer
I heard about this book through a chiropractor. After borrowing it from the library, I even ordered my own copy. Before it arrived, though, I started thinking through the premise of the book: that through evolution, each blood type has developed its own distinct food tolerance patterns, and a diet suited for one's particular blood type is the only healthy one.
This theory doesn't hold up, though; and I had only to look in my own home for the proof. According to D'Adamo, my husband and I, both type O, should thrive on the same diet. But what makes my husband healthy--high carbs--makes me fat and lethargic. Gender difference aside, since according to this book that is not the issue, my husband and I should both need and also adversely react to the same lists of foods. But it just isn't so. And the more I considered the evidence right in front of me, the more I realized this is just another trendy grab for the desperate dieter's hard-earned cash.
I returned my ordered copy and moved on. South Beach Diet, anyone?

1.0 out of 5 stars I CHANGED MY REVIEW OF THIS BOOK, April 23 2003
LatinaView (United States) - See all my reviews
I, a type O of African descent, edited my postive 5 star review of this book because I went ahead and actually DID the diet. And guess what? I gained weight.
The reason I gained weight was so stupidly simple I could have kicked myself for having bought the book (got a refund though.) See, I did exactly what the author said and ate the foods on the "highly beneficial" lists for type O's of my descent in order to lose weight. I ate nothing on the "avoid" list. And then I GAINED WEIGHT. The reason is scientifically plausible though I'm no scientist: Some foods on his "benefical" lists are high in starch.
And if that isn't bad enough, many of the foods in the "neutral" categories which he claims don't help or hurt type O's are high in starch, which causes MANY people to gain weight fast. In conclusion? THE ADVICE IN THIS BOOK [IS BAD].
I'm really tired of all these extremist books. The only thing I know for sure is that high-protein diets do cause weight loss, but I would like to find or create one for myself that allows low-starch veggies and fruits. Okay, back to the planning board!

1.0 out of 5 stars A fad diet just as likely to work as any other, June 7 2002
By A Customer
A few things to consider, for those interested in what they've heard about this book:
1. All blood types evolved millions of years ago. Agriculture began about 10,000 years ago all around the world. So, we were all hunters/gatherers once, and then we all became farmers.
2. Lectins are present in most foods, they don't survive cooking and digestion, and there is no evidence they can 'agglutinate' blood in the body. If they did, you wouldn't 'feel bad' - you'd feel dead when your extremely fine capillaries were blocked.
3. "ND" stands for Dr. of Naturopathy. Compare the training to MD, or PhD.
Judging from the other reviews, it apparently doesn't matter how much reality might differ from the claims made in this book. We're told this isn't for 'scientific review', it's for 'the people'. No one is allowed to review it who hasn't tried it, and everyone gushes over how 'scientific' it sounds. Unfortunately, unlike Amazon.com, science doesn't rely on peoples opinions. The 'method' keeps real scientists honest, whether they like it or not. D'Adamo and those like him avoid it, and even attack it, for very clear reasons.
Fortunately, you'll lose weight on this plan anyway, because ALL of the diets recommend eating less, eating healthier, and getting more exercise. Except for the O's, who are encouraged to get heart disease.
Save your money. Follow the 'nutrition pyramid' and get more exercise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter nonsense, Aug. 10 1998
By A Customer
I knew this book was a load of bull when I looked at the list of foods to avoid and foods recommended for my blood type (A+). At one time in my life, in a misguided effort to reduce below the weight Nature intended me to be, I tried all the current fad diets, and the high-carb, low-protein diet was a disaster: I felt weak all the time and had no energy. (To be fair, the high-protein, no-carb diet was just as bad!) I concluded, finally, that I was healthiest when I ate a balanced diet, exercised regularly, and accepted the shape that I was born with. But nobody wants to believe that: we're looking for the "magic pill" that will transform us all into hunks or supermodels, and anyone who writes a book purporting to be that magic pill is almost guaranteed to have a best-seller.
As for all the readers who think this book is wonderful, my years of dieting experience have led me to the following conclusions: (1) Any fad diet will work for anyone for a while. (2) Any fad diet will work permanently for SOME people. (3) No fad diet will work permanently for everyone. I'd like to talk to those enthusiasts 5 years from now, and see how many of them are still following the "blood type" diet and how well it's working; my guess would be about 5% for both questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars grea book,unfold many facts on diets, May 5 1999
By A Customer
I want to know if this book was translated into other languages such as arabic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Dec 6 2014
Got this as a gift and the person loved it and found it very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Question, April 17 1999
How come the tape is listed at $10.00 and you charge $12.40 for it

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this one...from an AB perspective, July 20 2003
No, I will admit, I have not done the diet. I liked the basis behind it, but it seems a bit wierd after reading the book. I have the "Eating right 4 your baby" version since I am still nursing my 4 months old. Here are a few things I didn't like just from reading it:
I am AB blood type.
1) Under AB blood type it says to avoid black eyed peas and milk. Then under the nursing section it also says A,B, and AB's should avoid cow's milk and cheese(can cause colic-I already had to cut it out anyway). Then it lists under breast-feeding "power foods" that AB's should eat black eyed peas(multiple times) and cow's milk! How does that add up?
2) I read on their site that his father actually started the work and isn't happy about how his son has twisted it.
3) AB's can't eat beef, chicken, shrimp, oysters, bananas, avocado, coconut, oranges, (normal) tea, or just about any other thing you could imagine eating! All I can eat is Turkey, lamb (yuck!) and some wierd fish I have never heard of.
4) My husband is either and A or O type and there is no way we could work an O diet with mine, and very little chance we could swing an A.
I found a ton of places where it would say one thing I could eat, and then come back and say it was highly benificial in another, both times being listed specifically under my blood type. I am also not too impressed with the author not being a "real" doctor.
I suppose I am part of the 5% of the population that can't do this diet. I really don't see raising my daughter this way if she is an AB either. From the small section I read about type O's, I think I could do it, but be wary otherwise.

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 | Next ›

Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution
Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution by Catherine Whitney (Hardcover - Jan. 6 1997)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.83