5.0 out of 5 stars a sensible review
I've noticed that those people who discount this book usually do so for incredibly nitpicky reasons. There's more right with this book than there is wrong.
I don't pretend to say that dr. d'adamo is an infallible human, nor do I think he knows absolutely everything is right in his book. However, I do know that until I actually took the time to follow this diet, I...
Published on Aug. 22 2003 by Anthony Rosales

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it work?
Let me get a few things out of the way before reviewing the book itself. I've been on the Blood Type O diet for 9 months now and have lost 30 lbs. To give you some background I started a new job in a new industry about 3 years ago and had gained nearly 25 lbs due to the long hours and free snacks and dinners (which I ate because I was working 60-90 hours a week) - in...
Published on Jan. 24 2004 by Galen K. Valentine

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars To call it a "Diet Book" almost a disservice, May 13 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution (Hardcover)
This is a book about individuality that just happens to have a dietary component. A very good book, I might add

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 24 2014
Loved the knowledge this book gave. Following food list, feel great already and only 1 week in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another food fad fairy tale, full of plot holes, June 21 2003
By A Customer
I heard about this book through a chiropractor. After borrowing it from the library, I even ordered my own copy. Before it arrived, though, I started thinking through the premise of the book: that through evolution, each blood type has developed its own distinct food tolerance patterns, and a diet suited for one's particular blood type is the only healthy one.
This theory doesn't hold up, though; and I had only to look in my own home for the proof. According to D'Adamo, my husband and I, both type O, should thrive on the same diet. But what makes my husband healthy--high carbs--makes me fat and lethargic. Gender difference aside, since according to this book that is not the issue, my husband and I should both need and also adversely react to the same lists of foods. But it just isn't so. And the more I considered the evidence right in front of me, the more I realized this is just another trendy grab for the desperate dieter's hard-earned cash.
I returned my ordered copy and moved on. South Beach Diet, anyone?

1.0 out of 5 stars I CHANGED MY REVIEW OF THIS BOOK, April 23 2003
LatinaView (United States) - See all my reviews
I, a type O of African descent, edited my postive 5 star review of this book because I went ahead and actually DID the diet. And guess what? I gained weight.
The reason I gained weight was so stupidly simple I could have kicked myself for having bought the book (got a refund though.) See, I did exactly what the author said and ate the foods on the "highly beneficial" lists for type O's of my descent in order to lose weight. I ate nothing on the "avoid" list. And then I GAINED WEIGHT. The reason is scientifically plausible though I'm no scientist: Some foods on his "benefical" lists are high in starch.
And if that isn't bad enough, many of the foods in the "neutral" categories which he claims don't help or hurt type O's are high in starch, which causes MANY people to gain weight fast. In conclusion? THE ADVICE IN THIS BOOK [IS BAD].
I'm really tired of all these extremist books. The only thing I know for sure is that high-protein diets do cause weight loss, but I would like to find or create one for myself that allows low-starch veggies and fruits. Okay, back to the planning board!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter nonsense, Aug. 10 1998
By A Customer
I knew this book was a load of bull when I looked at the list of foods to avoid and foods recommended for my blood type (A+). At one time in my life, in a misguided effort to reduce below the weight Nature intended me to be, I tried all the current fad diets, and the high-carb, low-protein diet was a disaster: I felt weak all the time and had no energy. (To be fair, the high-protein, no-carb diet was just as bad!) I concluded, finally, that I was healthiest when I ate a balanced diet, exercised regularly, and accepted the shape that I was born with. But nobody wants to believe that: we're looking for the "magic pill" that will transform us all into hunks or supermodels, and anyone who writes a book purporting to be that magic pill is almost guaranteed to have a best-seller.
As for all the readers who think this book is wonderful, my years of dieting experience have led me to the following conclusions: (1) Any fad diet will work for anyone for a while. (2) Any fad diet will work permanently for SOME people. (3) No fad diet will work permanently for everyone. I'd like to talk to those enthusiasts 5 years from now, and see how many of them are still following the "blood type" diet and how well it's working; my guess would be about 5% for both questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars grea book,unfold many facts on diets, May 5 1999
By A Customer
I want to know if this book was translated into other languages such as arabic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Question, April 17 1999
How come the tape is listed at $10.00 and you charge $12.40 for it

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this one...from an AB perspective, July 20 2003
No, I will admit, I have not done the diet. I liked the basis behind it, but it seems a bit wierd after reading the book. I have the "Eating right 4 your baby" version since I am still nursing my 4 months old. Here are a few things I didn't like just from reading it:
I am AB blood type.
1) Under AB blood type it says to avoid black eyed peas and milk. Then under the nursing section it also says A,B, and AB's should avoid cow's milk and cheese(can cause colic-I already had to cut it out anyway). Then it lists under breast-feeding "power foods" that AB's should eat black eyed peas(multiple times) and cow's milk! How does that add up?
2) I read on their site that his father actually started the work and isn't happy about how his son has twisted it.
3) AB's can't eat beef, chicken, shrimp, oysters, bananas, avocado, coconut, oranges, (normal) tea, or just about any other thing you could imagine eating! All I can eat is Turkey, lamb (yuck!) and some wierd fish I have never heard of.
4) My husband is either and A or O type and there is no way we could work an O diet with mine, and very little chance we could swing an A.
I found a ton of places where it would say one thing I could eat, and then come back and say it was highly benificial in another, both times being listed specifically under my blood type. I am also not too impressed with the author not being a "real" doctor.
I suppose I am part of the 5% of the population that can't do this diet. I really don't see raising my daughter this way if she is an AB either. From the small section I read about type O's, I think I could do it, but be wary otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars eat poorly? good self-discipline? this is the book for you, July 30 2001
O. Lee "nycreader" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
If you currently eat a lot of junk food or crap, but want to eat healthier, this book is a decent framework of heathly eating and portioning. My main problem with this book is that most people already know what food are healthy (fruit, veggies, lean meats) but lack the self control to avoid junk food. If you don't have the self control, you won't be able to follow this book's guidelines either. Especially since some of the guidelines seem very arbitrary, like as a type B, I can't eat tomatoes. My problem with that is 1) I love tomatoes 2) how can tomatoes be bad for me? 3) I feel fine after I eat tomatoes (and I do eat a lot of them). Rather than considering some foods poison and some foods medicine, I think that people are better off eating reasonable portions and paying attention to how they feel after eating foods. For example, I am starting to pay more attention to how I feel after eating meals or snacking, and noticed that my fingers swell and I get bloated after drinking coke. While this is gross, it's been a couple of weeks without coke and I feel a bit better. I did sneak half of one over the weekend, but felt so yucky that I tossed it halfway through. It's more important to pay attention to your body and think about what your feeding yourself rather than looking at a list of good foods and blindly eating them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going to give it a try..., Jan. 21 2004
GW (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I've been trying to optimize my diet for years and I think the theories put forth by Dr. D'Adamo may be plausible. I have to say that I found some of the negative reviews of the book to be worthless to me because they didn't actually address what's in the book! One mentions saving your money and following a generic diet of fruits, veges, lean meats, etc and exercise - the basic advice of nutritionists for decades. Well, I've been doing that for decades and I've noticed problems with my digestion, energy levels, etc, and to my knowledge they are not disease related, so this one-size fits all advice is just not sufficient for me. I know through my own experience and discussions with other people that people have different constitutions and respond uniquely to different foods.
I think the book potentially has a lot to offer and I'm going to give the diet for my blood type a try.

‹ Previous | 136 37 38 | Next ›

Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution
Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution by Catherine Whitney (Hardcover - Jan. 17 2002)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44