1,222 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars J-O-B=JustOverBroke
I believe that Who Moved my Cheese is an excellent book to help people deal with the changes that started during Pres. Clintons term, when downsizing became fashionable.
Published on May 30 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Bless you Alberto
Yup, Alberto got here got it right. We were handed this book by our manager who knew nothing about his job or ours to get us to toe the party line. It worked. We shut up. Since then employees left in droves and productivity has been sinking ever since! Nice job Cheesies!
Published on June 30 2004 by Mark Milstein

1.0 out of 5 stars Bless you Alberto, June 30 2004
This review is from: Who Moved My Cheese?: An A-Mazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Deal with it!, June 7 2004
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
This was good! I can say immediately that I have been both Hem and Haw. When life throws you a change, you have to deal with it, or it will control you, and you will get NO PLACE AT ALL!!! This is a tough lesson to learn. We want what is ours, and instead of looking for a new opportunity, we pout, like Hem. Unlike Haw, who was able to get something out of what they had gotten themselves into. He laughed at his past, and although for awhile he wasn't finding any cheese, it was a heck of a lot better then sitting on his can doing nothing!
Now, for all you Hems out there who "didn't get anything out of this and are still wondering what the point is...." Why don't you actually try reading the book?! It helps to actually try and get something out of it, not just look at the cover and say like Hem would say, "But... But... But..." C'mon! Get your feelings off of your sleeves! Get the chip off of your shoulder. It helps. Really, it does. Out with the old, in with the new. The Sniffs and Scurrys out there have already read this book and are rolling right along with the punches, keeping their running shoes around their necks, just in case.
Change does happen, people. That is life. Deal with it! Or life will deal with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who Moved My Cheese?, June 6 2004
anthony (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
I don't know that I've ever read a book that so accurately depicts the fears and anxieties associated with change. The book itself is witty and somewhat humorous, yet it's deep enough to provoke intense reflection and self evaluation if you allow it to. The storyline itself includes four characters who live in a maze and look for cheese to nourish them and make them happy. Two of the characters are mice named Sniff and Scurry. The other two are little people the size of mice who act a lot like real people do. Their names are Hem and Haw. The most thought provoking aspect of this book is that it allows each individual to draw conclusions based on their own individual situations relative to "the maze" and "the cheese". "The cheese" is a metaphor for what you want to have in life. "The maze" is symbolic for where you look for what you want in life. In this story, all of the characters are faced with unexpected change. As time passes, one of the characters deals with it successfully and writes what he has learned from his experiences on the wall. In short the message appears to be that when you see the "writing on the wall" you need to know how to deal with change. We all may have a different "maze" in life and may pursue different "cheese" in life,yet, the moral of the story is just the same. Noticing small changes early helps you adapt to the bigger changes later.

1.0 out of 5 stars So who did move it?, June 5 2004
Robert W. "BobTheCopywriter" (Starkville, MS, United States) - See all my reviews
Does it occur to anyone else that the book never answers the title question?
It's amazing to me that many of the people (managers and HR personnel) who hand out this book to their subordinates in a heart beat, apply so few of the principles in it themselves.
As most surmise the book's key message is an encouragement to adapt to changes to the environment instead of standing around complaining.
No wonder this book is such a big hit among managers and HR professionals. If they make an unpopular change that your subordinates complain about, just hand them this book. After all, it's easier to do that than for the managers involved to examine their own actions and re-evaluate. In effect, it gives the manager the near god-like position of the never-mentioned lab researcher who probably moved the cheese. (This is conjecture, since as I said before, the book never comes out and answers its title question.)
In my own specific circumstance I was handed this book by a brilliant boss who did apply the principles of change to herself and her organization, so there is a counter point. But I fear she was the sole exception.
The more I read the book and talked to my friends who'd been given it as the answer to constructive criticism they offered in their own organization, the more I see this book as the cop-out answers for managers who believe in change for changes' sake.
In closing, read this book, one, two or twenty-three times and you'll never find out, who moved the cheese. And for the sake of preserving your own inner integrity, don't tell yourself, "That's the wrong question." That's the biggest cop-out of all.

5.0 out of 5 stars J-O-B=JustOverBroke, May 30 2004
By A Customer
But I also believe that too many people are missing the point. People get canned from one company and the first thing they do is to go out and find another job within another company just like the one they just lost.
Somebody once said that the definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing, over and over even though it doesn't work.
What I got from Who Moved My Cheese is to change, to adapt to the changes going on and that very often means finding a new career ina new field.
I was working for a sales company that assured me that I had no ceiling on my income. Soon after working for this company, a B2B telesale company, found that there indeed was a ceiling imposed on me. Company controlled my time, the salary and commission structure and my leads and therefore my income.
Who Moved My Cheese gave me the necessary motivation to start a company of my own. I am no longer subservient to unappreciate bosses. If you want the true meaning of a boss, spell it backwords!
I control my income, my time and every morning while shaving I have a meeting with the CEO, President and the Board of Directors and sometime we talk about things like giving me a raise. I like my new boss.
Who Moved My Cheese is a great book to help you adapt. The key is not to just read it, but use it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy., May 9 2004
I hate change. It is my biggest weakness.
When I was recommended to read 'Who Moved My Cheese,' I was looking for a thick, hard cover book with gold wordings and a dark background in the self-improvement section. But it turned out to be the exact opposite. With a book so thin and words written in font size 16 (I think), I wondered if I could get anything out of it. And I'm still wondering if I did.
A childlike story that gets its point across, it's easy for the reader to grasps the importance of embracing change. I think Dr. Johnson was going for a simple story with a huge impact. The discussion part at the end of the book helps the reader understand better by applying real scenarios we go through everyday in our personal and work life.
When I was done with the final page, I agreed with Dr. Johnson wholeheartedly. I understood the story and the dangers of resisting change. But so what? We all know that. It just wasn't inspiring and motivating enough for a stubborn mule like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindset for dealing with RealPolitik, April 6 2004
By A Customer
I very much disagree with those reviewers who see this book as some sort of corporate propaganda or justification for Darwinian HR policies. Instead, it is a useful and empowering parable for how to deal with such policies. There is no doubting that the world has changed--Welch-type business tactics and economic globalization have eliminated the prior "corporate loyalty to employee" model (to the extent it ever existed!). As individual workers, we can either accept the changed model and adapt to it, or we can bemoan its arrival and practice denial. "Cheese" preaches flexibility, awareness, and an open mind to change. It does NOT operate from a model of "laboratory rats." It is a parable ANALOGIZING human behavior to that of rats in a maze. When you think about it, life IS often as bewildering as a maze must be to mice. The book is short and simple--but read it and absorb its profound message...and minimize the chances that you'll ever be caught off-guard by events in your life again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line..., April 5 2004
By A Customer
Not all books need to be complicated to be accurate or effective.
If you're a cynic by nature, one would not expect you to like such a simplistic view on making the big decision to MOVE ON.
As for me...... I was given this book as a gift more than 2 years ago, and had not given it a second glance until it caught my eye, all dusty on the bookshelf, and I decided, "What the heck."
After reading it, I realized why it had been given to me, and I regretted not reading it immediately upon receiving it.
In just 2 short hours, it reassured me that it was o.k. to choose to finally walk away from a destructive relationship, even when though it is a parent whom I love, after 5 years of wondering if I was a failure for not sticking it out.
You have a choice in life: sink (because it's what everyone else is doing, and because misery loves company) or swim (to save your life, without feeling guilty about it).
Maybe you prefer a novel written by some Harvard-quality psychiatrist, with lots of complicated scenarios and pharmaceutical prescription suggestions.....
But sometimes, it is even more effective when someone lays it out on the line as clearly and quickly as possible, even when that means using something as simple as mice to illustrate their point.
If you read this book, and didn't "get it".... I sadly visualize you in your little corner of the world, hoarding as much cheese as possible.......... while life moves on without you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who Moved My Cheese?, April 1 2004
In this world, there are so many people who doesn't know when to change their very lives. They get stuck with what they are and what they have right now. This book is the one of the keys to help you change.
There are two mice who loved one cheese. they did not know when to stop loving that cheese that they always thought about and couldn't shake it off their heads. Their names were Hem and Haw. They were eating and eating until they were full and saved the rest for later.
Then one day, the cheese was gone from their sight. their LOVING cheese disappeared in their very own eyes. they were looking for it for whole day. everyday they would look for tha cheese but it wasn't there still. Then Hem gave up on the cheese and asked Haw to look for the new cheese. Unfortunately, Haw didn't give up on his cheese and decided to stay.
So Hem left for the new cheese that would be waiting for him. It was a dark journey to travel. With fear, he walked through darkness. He began to write wise words in the wall, loosening his fear. He began to change and believed that he can find the cheese. At last it was then he arrived the destination and found a gorgeous cheese. Only then, he hoped that Haw would change his mind and enjoy the cheese with Hem. Then suddenly someone came and that was HAW. They enjoyed the cheese forever.It is difficult to let go of something you loved but if you begin something new, it can always be better than what you ever had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold, March 18 2004
This book is about how people should face change. The usual attitude found in most of us when confronted with change, is first to deny that change is about to happen, followed by resistance to modifying our attitude and behaviour once the change has happened. Yet in most cases this is not the best course of action; clinging to the past deprives one of all the potential possibilities, improvements and benefits that change usually brings along with it.
The book states that change is inevitable. Hence, it encourages the reader not to be averse to change, by being prepared to let go of old habits and accept change as a challenge which, when properly taken, brings about self-improvement and a superior post-change situation.
To achieve its end, the book tells a very well written parable that is both very readable and very enjoyable. The parable is about how two mice and two littlepeople face change; suddenly the easy comfortable life the four of them enjoy comes abruptly to an end; the mice being animals accept the change immediately and do something about it, whereas the littlepeople being humans, take their emotions and their logic into consideration first, with the result that they are slow to adapt to change.
The reader can identify himself with one of the four characters, thus, being able to weigh the pros and cons of his attitude towards change vis-a-vis the character. The book is only 96 pages and so can be taken in one go if one so wishes. Besides, it has the major conclusions depicted as posters on some left-hand-side pages, thus, further aiding assimilation of the message it tries to convey.
All in all, an excellent book, that is extremely useful in every day life situations. It is so relevant to real life that it must be taught at school. Very highly recommended.

CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88