5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Entertaining!
I found this third volume (except for the absence of Deputy Chief West) the best of the three Hammer novels. Rarely have I found myself laughing out loud during the reading of a book, but did so often with this one. A departure from Ms. Cornwell's Kay
Scarpetta books, Isle of Dogs is a great read for its obvious historic foundation, its absurdist humor, and Ms...
Published on March 13 2004 by Knit/Sew/Crochet Dilettante

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I read the whole thing
Published on July 28 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I read the whole thing, July 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
Contrary to the comments made by the few who actually enjoyed this book, I do not condemn it because I'm an avid Cornwell fan who misses her usual style. I had only read one of her books previously and read this with an open mind. Just how open does one's mind have to be to get around talking fish and typing dogs? What was Cornwell on when she wrote this nonsense? I plodded through in hopes it would improve, but it didn't. I was, however, curious enough about Cornwell's popularity to attempt several of her other books and thoroughly enjoyed them, apart from her tendency to keep the same crooks coming back, which makes for rather too much repetition and means you need to know that it's best to read her Scarpetta offerings chronologically.
The quality of her other books only makes this one more bewildering. Try reading something else!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just plain yucky, June 8 2004
By A Customer
Having read no Patricia Cornwell novels prior to reading this I didn't know what to expect. Well, I should say I was expecting quite a lot, since the woman does have a fine reputation as a writer. Man, I picked a dud. I know this was meant as rolicking comedy, but nothing I read made me chuckle or amused me in any way.
If I could've given 0 stars I certainly would have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh! This was just painful., June 4 2004
By A Customer
I've read 3 or 4 other titles by Patricia Cornwell and found them interesting and creative. This book, however, failed to fall in to either of those categories. The book is full of weak characters and a story line that really never takes you anywhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful. A total waste of time!, May 24 2004
By A Customer
I've read all of Cornwell's books and I really got into them. "Blow Fly" is the exception. What a downer!
"Isle of Dogs" simply blows. I picked up the book a year ago and could only make it through a couple of chapters.
Being a fool for punishment, I went to the local library last week to find a book on tape and I decided to give "Isle of Dogs" another try. What a rotten book! I enjoy listening to books on tape in my truck on the way to and from work and I usually go through a book per week. I have had "Isle of Dogs" for over a week and I have not yet finished the second tape of ten. I listen for a while then I've got to try to catch the baseball game, a talk show, anything. This book SUCKS!
Why? Cornwell is trying to be funny but she's no Carl Hiaasen. It just doesn't work. If you want to read a really good, funny book get Hiaasen's "Lucky You." I was giggling like an idiot while I read it.
The reader on the tape version has an airhead voice and I grow weary of her attempts to speak like black house servants, dumb white guys, or residents of Tangier Island.
I'm tempted to try to finish it to see if it gets better, but judging from most of the reviews I would be wasting my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars just listen to this on audio tape!, April 27 2004
I read the book some years ago and just picked up the unabridged version of hte book, read by Michele Hall. You should hear this woman speak Tangerian!!! OH MY GAWD!! she's simply fabulous. This is an oral book -- like some little houses you see for sale in the newspaper, this is one you have to HEAR to appreciate.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderfully wacky tale!, April 23 2004
And what a shame that the majority of Ms. Cornwall's "fans" have huffed themselves into such a snit because she dared to write a book different from her usual formula.
Simultaneously whimsical and dark, Isle of Dogs includes a cast of zany characters that more than once had me thinking of the crew of misfits in Cannery Row, especially once the troop of crabs made their appearance (remember the frogs in Cannery Row?). Cornwall's plot line, aided by *many* misconceptions and poorly drawn conclusions by several characters, encompasses a seeing-eye horse, scheming crabs, a cold-blooded murderess, a gay Baptist Mexican (sort of), pirates, cops, a scamming dentist, and lots of Nascar fans. This isn't a book that was meant to be taken seriously; it's simply a great romp through the inane. Those of you who didn't realize that might have taken a hint from some of the great character names, such as Windy Breeze (the airhead secretary) and the Reverend Paunchious Justice (who led the jailbreak).
I listened to the abridged audio cassette version, which is read superbly by Becky Ann Baker. She employs a wide range of accents, tones, and speaking styles for the various characters, both male and female. I even checked the box partway through the first tape to see if more than one person supplied the voices, but it appears to be all her work.
This is one of the lowest collective ratings I've ever seen on Amazon for a big-name-author book, and the travesty is that almost all of the very low ratings were bestowed to penalize this book not for what it is, but for what it isn't. It is evident, scanning the review votes, that many readers must have even stooped to voting negatively on any review that lauded the book, regardless of how well written the review was or how accurately descriptive of the book. No, Isle of Dogs isn't another formula Kay Scarpetta novel; but nowhere on the cover of the text and audio copies I saw did it claim to be such.
If you are an avid Kay Scarpetta fan who would never dream of reading any other type of book, make sure you avoid this novel. It is far too inventive for your tastes. This seems to be one of those books where there's no middle ground when it comes to opinion. The reactions of readers remind me of The Far Side cartoon-- there are those who love it, and those who don't get it.
Rave on, Trooper Truth!

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst novels...by my favorite author, March 29 2004
By A Customer
I have to concur with all the other poor reviews...this novel was a huge disappointment. I kept reading and reading, waiting for an actual, tangible, and well-developed plot to emerge, but one never did. This book in particular includes exaggerated, banal characters that bored me to tears. From now on, I'm going to peruse reader reviews on amazon before automatically trusting the "bestseller" advertisement on the front cover of Cornwell's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars could this be a hoax?, March 23 2004
I don't believe this was actually written by Patricia Cornwell. This must be the result of a twisted bet she made with some friends that an 11 year old could write a book and if Patricia sent it in under her "best seller" name it would get published regardless of merit. If this were a first novel being sent around without her name on it, it would never have gotten published.

In order for a book to be satirical, it has to have some wit and intelligence. A book about nothing can be saved by excellent writing and a poorly written book can become a best seller if the plot is original and riveting. This is the worst of both worlds. Snoopy's "It was a dark and stormy night..." puts this to shame. I've never been so disappointed in the work of well known author. Many seem to ride on their automatic fan following from time to time, but this is in a class by itself. Isle of Dogs is a "dog."

1.0 out of 5 stars Dog Day Afternoon, March 20 2004
Roy M. Gulick (Green Cove Springs, FL USA) - See all my reviews
It took only an hour or so of reading this bizarre story before I threw the book in my trash can. As a fan of Patricia Cornwell's, I've always looked forward to reading a new title, but this one is disappointing. Isle of Dogs might appeal to those who enjoy talking fish, conversations of crabs, dog's thoughts and computer skills, and seeing-eye mini-horses, but for that sort of thing I prefer Peter Rabbit, Uncle Wiggly, Winnie the Pooh, or science fiction.

1.0 out of 5 stars No sleeping pill for me..., March 13 2004
"dhobrien" (quakertown, pa United States) - See all my reviews
No sleeping pill needed for me-if I ever can't sleep, I will just pick up this book and try to finish it. I will be asleep in minutes. I tried-(really I did!)- but finally gave up in disgust when the dog started typing on the computer. Give me a break. This book was by far the worst book I have read in a long time. What in the world was Patricia Cornwell thinking? To me,reading a Patricia Cornwell book is like opening a Christmas present-I can't wait to see what is inside. What a disappointment. I wish I had never wasted my money on this one. I hope it is not an indication of books to come. Please, Ms. Cornwell if this book was a joke, don't ever do that again. Your readers are not amused.

Isle Of Dogs
Isle Of Dogs by Patricia Cornwell (Hardcover - Oct. 11 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.39