5.0 out of 5 stars The Lure of Stolen Diamonds
Published on Sept. 21 2003 by Alan Cambeira

3.0 out of 5 stars Half and half
Published on June 13 2004 by dandysmom

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lure of Stolen Diamonds, Sept. 21 2003
Alan Cambeira "author of Azucar's Trilogy" (Dominican Republic, author of Tattered Paradise...Azucar's Trilogy Ends) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
The idea of stolen diamonds immediately lured me to this novel. I am just now being formally introduced to the suspense of award-winning author Nora Roberts. Quite frankly, I am thoroughly impressed with the talent of this very fine writer who has meticulously crafted a wonderful story. The characters are all amazingly real. Roberts manipulates time-lapses exceptionally well; this can be very tricky. I'm convinced that I have to read the other works in her series.
Highly Recommended Read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Longest prologue for an Eve Dallas mystery but..., April 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
the story was great! Yes, I wanted to skip part one of the book just to get to Eve, Roarke, Peabody, etc. but I endured just to make part two make sense as far as the mystery goes.
Part one was interesting as a romance/mystery but as far as romance goes, I didn't feel like Laine and Max actually fell in love. Lust, yes. But love? (Let me put it like Roarke would say, "Hmm.") And, yes, I do believe that love at first sight can be pulled off but not in this story. While saying all that, I still like the story. It was intense about the diamonds and all. And of course there is a parallel between Laine being the criminal like Roarke and Max being the cop/PI like Eve. If all four had actually sat down and talked, that would have been interesting.
Now, part two did not disappoint me! No J.D. Robb mystery has yet disappointed me! Sharp dialogue, kick a** scenes, mystery, and of course love, hey-- you can't go wrong. One thing I was waiting on was for Eve or Roarke to buy a replacement goldfish for Samantha. And another thing I was waiting on was for the deep meaning about how that lunatic was the lunatic's grandson. The lunacy skipped a generation. So... don't you think Eve and Roarke would wonder about their own, as yet to be talked about in great detail, kids? Personally, I can't wait to read about Eve pregnant AND moody with more attitude than what she already has! New York murderers, beware! And wouldn't it just be a kick in the head if she had twins? They do run in the family...
I flat out love this series. And if you haven't heard, according to Nora Robert's website, the In Death series is optioned for screenplay. Interesting to see who they will get to play these characters if it does make it to film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing, July 12 2004
Melinda Cronin (Richmond, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
I find it amazing that so many people don't like the second part of the book. Please don't judge the second part as "boring". If you were a J.D. Robb Fan, you would understand the characters better. Eve and Roarke have been around for about 17 books so this book just continues their story. Please don't judge the characters until you get to know them in other stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Half and half, June 13 2004
dandysmom "dandysmom" (washington, dc United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
Loved the first half; good characters, people you got interested in ana cared about....but TOO MUCH SEX!! Second half...well, mostly boring; just kept reading to see how it would turn out. znone of the characters were especially well developed or appealing. And, had to skip over the sex parts. I like Nora Roberts; this the first I have read by her alter ego and doubt if I will read any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars The same author, two different styles, May 21 2004
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
For the longest time, many readers including myself did not know that Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb were the same the same person. This new book "Remember When" combines these two talents together. The book opens up the stealing of diamonds in 2004 and the love between a P.I. and the suspect daughter's The second takes us to the future where once again the diamonds are up for graps and Roarke and Eve Dallas are on the case.
I have to admitt that I enjoyed the second part of the book with Dallas and Roarke than the first half. The action in the first seem to drag and I couldn't wait to get the second half. This is a great book, but the first section did seem a bit slow.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent story - mystery & love, May 9 2004
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This book consists of two novels - the first one is the story of Laine Tavish and Max Gannon on the trail of stolen diamonds. This was excellent - the Nora Roberts we've all come to expect - mystery, romance, and a good, well written, well plotted story. I truly enjoyed this portion of the audio book. It is followed up by the second novel which features Eve Dallas working to solve a mystery case, involving the same diamonds and the grandchild of Laine & Max 56 years in the future. It's completely different in style - written as J.D. Robb it follows her formula in her "In Death" mystery series.
This was a highly enjoyable set of stories (especially the 1st of the two stories) and I highly recommend them to any Nora Roberts fan - you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Robb?, April 16 2004
renne "norrennaporter" (Jacksonville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
I think that this book was great for introducing Nora Roberts' fans to J.D. Robb. I only recently started reading Roberts but I've read all of her newer romance/mistery books and really liked them. I was a little wary of trying Robb and "Remember When" was a great crash course into the series. The problem with introducing non-Robb fans to the series this way is that they loose so much of the history of the characters and are a little lost at first with the unfamiliar slang for things that we don't have yet. The second half was so good though, and so different from the normal Roberts stuff that it made me want to read the series, which I immediately did. I definately thought that the Robb part was better than the Roberts part. That is probably because I'd burned myself out on Roberts and the plot was a little simple, but I think that was because both stories were shorter than her normal lengths and there wasn't enough area to develop the best plots. I really love Roberts, but I love Robb more and if you have read this book and didn't like Eve or didn't like the characters it is probably because you haven't read more of the series and haven't had time to fall in love with her enough. Eve is a great character, but if you come into the middle of the series, you loose how much heart she has (and she has a lot of heart).
Read Robb's other books before you give up on it all together.

3.0 out of 5 stars not her best, March 23 2004
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
This book to be was a dissapointment for sure. I was really looking foward for it to come out because of all the talk that surrounded the book, but when i finally got it it was not great. The characters werent as well developed as they could be, and the in the future thing, that so did not work.
But you can say that some of Ms. Roberts bad books are better than people BEST works. TRUTH hurts.
KEEP UP THE WORK MS ROBERTS. JUST ONE NEVER LIKE REMEMBER WHEN EVER AGAIN

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but could use some character development, March 7 2004
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
This was a good story, but it was wrapped up a little too neatly at the end of each half. The characters in the first half were well-developed, but I wanted to hear more about them in part 2. Nora Roberts'/JD Robb's trashy sex scenes were prominent in both stories. I started scanning these sections when that got old, as it usually does for me with her books.
I really wanted to know more about Samantha in part 2. The villain in that half just made me want to slap him. Lots more character development could have been done.
Overall, a good story, but predictable ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique story by "two" authors..., Feb. 22 2004
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
On the way down to Tucson, I finished up Remember When by Nora Roberts "and" J. D. Robb. For those of you who are unfamiliar with those names, they are one and the same person. Nora Roberts writes romance novels, and also pens futuristic crime novels under the pen name of J. D. Robb. I really like the Robb titles (the "In Death" series), so I decided to give this one a try. I liked it a lot...
In part 1 of the story (written by Roberts), a woman is trying to forget her father's criminal past and has set up a nice existence running an antique shop in a small town. But a partner of her father shows up at the shop, tries to deliver a message to her, and gets killed running out of the shop when a car hits him. When an investigator shows up, she gets really confused as to why all this attention has come her way. Turns out the investigator is trying to track down a multi-million dollar diamond heist, and she's suspected of being part of the scheme to hide the diamonds. As with most crime novels, she's innocent but is the target of a killer who also thinks she knows where they are. Her and the investigator team up to try and solve the case.
Jump forward to part 2 (written by Robb) about 50 years in the future. The granddaughter of the main characters in part 1 is a successful writer who has penned a blockbuster book about the original diamond heist. People close to her start getting murdered, and it appears that it's related to some unresolved questions about the crime and a missing portion of the diamonds. Eve Dallas and her husband Rourke are called in to sort out the murders and to protect the writer before she is murdered herself.
A unique approach to writing a book (writing as two different authors), and it worked for me. Both stories can stand on their own, so it's almost as if you're getting two books for the price of one. I've never read any Nora Roberts titles, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as much a mushy romance as I expected. The J. D. Robb portion was good as usual, with all the same players I've come to know and enjoy. While I'm not going to run out and start reading Roberts romances, I'm more likely to at least read the flyleaf to see what the story line might be...

Remember When
Remember When by Nora Roberts (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.70