4.0 out of 5 stars Longest prologue for an Eve Dallas mystery but...
the story was great! Yes, I wanted to skip part one of the book just to get to Eve, Roarke, Peabody, etc. but I endured just to make part two make sense as far as the mystery goes.
Published on April 25 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts vs. Robb: can you be pitted against yourself?
I won't comment on the plotline of the book, which has been more than adequately covered in several other reviews and the synopsis. The story is pretty much as described and to me, was formulaic romance/thriller stuff.
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by Countess Chocula

4.0 out of 5 stars Longest prologue for an Eve Dallas mystery but..., April 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
Part one was interesting as a romance/mystery but as far as romance goes, I didn't feel like Laine and Max actually fell in love. Lust, yes. But love? (Let me put it like Roarke would say, "Hmm.") And, yes, I do believe that love at first sight can be pulled off but not in this story. While saying all that, I still like the story. It was intense about the diamonds and all. And of course there is a parallel between Laine being the criminal like Roarke and Max being the cop/PI like Eve. If all four had actually sat down and talked, that would have been interesting.
Now, part two did not disappoint me! No J.D. Robb mystery has yet disappointed me! Sharp dialogue, kick a** scenes, mystery, and of course love, hey-- you can't go wrong. One thing I was waiting on was for Eve or Roarke to buy a replacement goldfish for Samantha. And another thing I was waiting on was for the deep meaning about how that lunatic was the lunatic's grandson. The lunacy skipped a generation. So... don't you think Eve and Roarke would wonder about their own, as yet to be talked about in great detail, kids? Personally, I can't wait to read about Eve pregnant AND moody with more attitude than what she already has! New York murderers, beware! And wouldn't it just be a kick in the head if she had twins? They do run in the family...
I flat out love this series. And if you haven't heard, according to Nora Robert's website, the In Death series is optioned for screenplay. Interesting to see who they will get to play these characters if it does make it to film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing Robb?, April 16 2004
renne "norrennaporter" (Jacksonville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
I think that this book was great for introducing Nora Roberts' fans to J.D. Robb. I only recently started reading Roberts but I've read all of her newer romance/mistery books and really liked them. I was a little wary of trying Robb and "Remember When" was a great crash course into the series. The problem with introducing non-Robb fans to the series this way is that they loose so much of the history of the characters and are a little lost at first with the unfamiliar slang for things that we don't have yet. The second half was so good though, and so different from the normal Roberts stuff that it made me want to read the series, which I immediately did. I definately thought that the Robb part was better than the Roberts part. That is probably because I'd burned myself out on Roberts and the plot was a little simple, but I think that was because both stories were shorter than her normal lengths and there wasn't enough area to develop the best plots. I really love Roberts, but I love Robb more and if you have read this book and didn't like Eve or didn't like the characters it is probably because you haven't read more of the series and haven't had time to fall in love with her enough. Eve is a great character, but if you come into the middle of the series, you loose how much heart she has (and she has a lot of heart).
Read Robb's other books before you give up on it all together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique story by "two" authors..., Feb. 22 2004
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
On the way down to Tucson, I finished up Remember When by Nora Roberts "and" J. D. Robb. For those of you who are unfamiliar with those names, they are one and the same person. Nora Roberts writes romance novels, and also pens futuristic crime novels under the pen name of J. D. Robb. I really like the Robb titles (the "In Death" series), so I decided to give this one a try. I liked it a lot...
In part 1 of the story (written by Roberts), a woman is trying to forget her father's criminal past and has set up a nice existence running an antique shop in a small town. But a partner of her father shows up at the shop, tries to deliver a message to her, and gets killed running out of the shop when a car hits him. When an investigator shows up, she gets really confused as to why all this attention has come her way. Turns out the investigator is trying to track down a multi-million dollar diamond heist, and she's suspected of being part of the scheme to hide the diamonds. As with most crime novels, she's innocent but is the target of a killer who also thinks she knows where they are. Her and the investigator team up to try and solve the case.
Jump forward to part 2 (written by Robb) about 50 years in the future. The granddaughter of the main characters in part 1 is a successful writer who has penned a blockbuster book about the original diamond heist. People close to her start getting murdered, and it appears that it's related to some unresolved questions about the crime and a missing portion of the diamonds. Eve Dallas and her husband Rourke are called in to sort out the murders and to protect the writer before she is murdered herself.
A unique approach to writing a book (writing as two different authors), and it worked for me. Both stories can stand on their own, so it's almost as if you're getting two books for the price of one. I've never read any Nora Roberts titles, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as much a mushy romance as I expected. The J. D. Robb portion was good as usual, with all the same players I've come to know and enjoy. While I'm not going to run out and start reading Roberts romances, I'm more likely to at least read the flyleaf to see what the story line might be...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nora Teams with Nora!, Feb. 11 2004
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
Tongue in cheek, Nora Roberts teams with her alter ego, J.D. Robb, to create a two-books-in-one surprise.
This is one of those Nora blockbusters that you simply can't put down, and that you love every step of the way. The first story, which takes place in the present day, follows Laine Tavish, owner of an antiques store in Angels Gap, MD, and sexy hunk Max Gannon, who has been sent to Angels Gap on the trail of missing diamonds worth countless millions.
Good at his job, Max has already found out Laine's deep, dark secret: She is the daughter of a well-known thief who has eluded police for years. What Max doesn't know, however, is if Laine knows about the diamond heist--or knows that a major, cold-blooded killer is after her and the booty he thinks she has. Forced to investigate further, Max meets Laine, and in true Nora Roberts fashion, sparks fly. Next thing you know, Max and Laine are embroiled in a hot-hot love affair and a quest that now threatens both their lives.
Fast-forward over 50 years. Now J.D. Robb (Nora) takes up the story with our favorite New York cop, Eve Dallas. When a series of brutal murders of innocent young women grips the city, Dallas becomes embroiled in the case--and uncovers a strange connection to a diamond heist that happened many decades before. It seems that Samantha Gannon, granddaughter of the very same Max and Laine, has written a best-seller about her grandparents' one-time involvement with the famous heist. Her book states that a quarter of the booty was never recovered...and with that information, the book sets off a crime spree that can only be solved by delving into the past.
Perfect Nora--perfect Robb. Read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An author that does the work of two..., Feb. 9 2004
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
In the present, Laine has made a new life for herself by pulling the biggest con of her life. She reinvented herself into a respectable antique dealer, someone no one would suspect of being Jack O'Hara, conman's, daughter. In one fatal moment, her past catches up to her when her "uncle" comes back into her life only moments before being run down by a car. His last words are ones she takes as incoherent ramblings, until insurance investigator Max Gannon shows up looking for diamonds that her father and uncle were responsible for stealing. Max is not the only one looking for the treasure; Jack and his deadly partner are as well; and the partner, Alex Crew, wants all the diamonds. Anyone who gets in his way, including Laine, is a target for murder. Max, Laine, and Jack partner to find the diamonds and stop Alex before more people die. In the process, Laine and Max fall in love.
Fifty years later, Max and Laine's granddaughter has capitalized on their love story and written a bestseller about how three quarters of the treasure was found. One fourth is still lost, and though Alex Crew is dead, there are still people who want to kill for them. That makes them Eve Dallas' business. When bodies begin turning up near Samantha, Eve and Roarke step in to put the saga to rest once and for all.
***** Remember When perfectly meshes the two halves of Ms. Roberts' persona into a novel that goes down smooth as Irish whiskey. Whether you love her romantic books or her futuristic thrillers, you will enjoy this. Her trademark flair combines with originality to keep you rooted to the edge of your seat, and sorry to turn the last page that you have been compelled to race to. ***** Amanda Killgore

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, Feb. 6 2004
cookie "kcookie72" (Northern, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
I have to agree with one of the other reviews on this book in regards to Part 2 not really involving the Samantha Gannon character. When I first started reading it I had assumed that Part 2 would be about Laine Tavish's granddaughter, but it wasn't. It only referred to the book Samantha was writing. Samantha was a big part of the first chapter of Part 2, but then that was it. The rest of Part 2 was about Eve and Roarke and being I haven't read any other J.D. Robb novels I can't say I understood their humor, marriage, or background nor did I really care for the character of Eve. I found Eve to be rude, obnoxious and down right nasty to the "little" people like waiters, doormen, security guards, receptionists. It appears Eve claims her rude personality is a privilege for her lieutenant position and thinks nothing of treating those in lower positions like dirt. She even encourages Peabody to do the same. As a prior receptionist and security guard, I can guarantee there are detectives and lieutenants that do not conduct themselves in this childish manner and still get what they need to do their jobs. I've always gone out of my way in order to help police personnel and never once was I treated the way Eve treated everybody. I guess I'm writing a book on this topic, but it's really the only thing that annoyed me in Remember When. I won't be reading any more J.D. Robb novels, but I will still read books by Nora Roberts. Overall, it was a good mystery, but I kind of figured out who the killer was after the second chapter in Part 2 which left me flipping pages on Eve and Roarke's awful sex scenes just to finish the book. Part 1 gets a 5, Part 2 gets a 3, overall a 4.
SPOILER ALERT!! DON'T READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T YET READ THE BOOK!!
I think a mistake the author makes alot in her books is that she tends to give away vital information that takes away from the mystery of the book. Re: Hidden Riches among others. For example, in the part when Max and Jack O'Hara went into Ohio to see Alex Crews' ex-wife she should've taken out the fact the there was a son involved and that they supposedly moved to Florida. It ruined the whole mystery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roberts vs. Robb: can you be pitted against yourself?, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of the Robb alter-ego, not so much of the recent Roberts' work. This book turned out to be no exception, as I found myself flipping through the first half of the book in my haste to get the the second half.
I was completely unimpressed with the storyline to begin with - there are only so many times we should have to hear the story of some plucky little heroine with a charming rogue of a daddy who did something bad and sent the family into ruin. It's been done to death, and Roberts adds nothing new to it. I was not intrigued or interested in the pairing of the two romantic leads, mostly because they just seemed so bland and I felt like I'd probably read about them before in one of Roberts' other books.
Skipping ahead to part 2, we're treated to Eve Dallas being brought into the storyline, which perked it up considerably to me. I disagree with others who say this was the same old, same old from Robb. This was a wonderful chapter in the continuing story of how Eve and Roarke are learning to live with each other and how Eve is starting to let people get close to her while still maintaining that tough cop attitude that is so much fun. The whole wrapping up of part 1 by Eve in part 2 was boring, but that had more to do with the bad start than it did to the Eve/Roarke characters or the "Robb" writing which is as crisp as ever.
I was pleased to read more Eve and Roarke, but sincerely hope Roberts doesn't pull a stunt like this again and try to merge her two writing personalities. They don't go together and when she forces the two side by side, we're reminded again that this woman has written so many books (a great many of them wonderful) that characters and plots are all starting to sound alike.
I'm looking forward to the next Robb book, less than happy that now that she's been "outed" as Nora Roberts that her publisher decided to start printing those in hardcovers too. There is such a thing as having too many books out at once, something I hope Ms. Roberts and her publishers realize before putting out something like this again.
The first part of the book got a 2 from me, the second half, a 4.5, with a median score of just over 3 in total. I'd recommend the book for someone looking for some mindless romantic reading, but this really isn't one of Roberts' best efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
When I realized that Nora Roberts was "co-writing" a book with her own alter-ego JD Robb, I began to bounce up and down like a child on christmas morning. I have been a Nora Roberts fan since I was around 17 or 18 (she being one of the only romance writers I can enjoy) and have been devouring her work since. I got hooked on her JD Robb stuff about 5 years ago, and now whine my way through the 6 month gap between books. So, you can imagine my anticipation for this book.
First of all, I bought it in hardcover, which is a rare purchase for me. With the exception of Nora Novels, I rarely buy hardcover...too much money. And I read it in one night...couldn't put it down.
It starts out as a Nora Novel, with the events happenning in 2003. Then it flashes over 50 years forward and Eve Dallas (one of the best characters ever) becomes entangled in a case involving the descendants of the first part of the novel.
What a great melding of her two styles, while staying true to both aspects of herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy story of love overcoming human damage, Dec 16 2003
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
When her father and three partners is responsible for a multimillion dollar jewel heist, Laine Tavish is torn. She's put her con-man father in her past but she still loves him. She can't just turn him over to private investigator Max Gannon. On the other hand, her father's life is in danger because one of the partners has decided to keep all of the diamonds for himself. Keeping herself, and her father alive become the challenges. It doesn't hurt, though, that Laine has fallen in love with the hunky Max. And Max will do anything he can to help her. Anything except give up on the diamonds.
In the second portion of the story, Laine and Max's granddaughter has written a best-selling book about the diamond heist and her grandparents' role in its solution. When she returns from a publicity trip, she finds her house has been ransacked and her housesitter murdered. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas and significant other billionaire Roarke discover that the murder is connected to the now-ancient diamond confidence scam. Someone thinks that the granddaughter knows the secret to the share of the diamonds that went missing and will stop at nothing to get them for himself.
Author Nora Roberts (the book is billed as a collaboration between Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb, a Nora Roberts pseudonom) combines sizzling sensual attraction with exciting adventure and a pair of women who refuse to back down and let the men in their lives handle the rescuing. Roberts' writing is strong and compelling, dragging the reader into the action. The story of the missing diamonds and the way that they are hidden is clever and believable, but the real strength of the story is in the strong female leads and their romances with the men in their lives.
I'm not sure I buy into letting the final quarter of the diamonds alone at the end of the first half the novel--for me, the justification seemed weak and I don't see how Max would have gone for it. But without it, we wouldn't have the second half the novel so I can't complain too much. I found Roberts/Robb's descriptions of mid-twenty-first century police work interesting and largely convincing. Advanced computer technology, hyper-extensive databases, and sophisticated pattern matching algorithms are reasonable extensions to current research and continued traffic problems are a no-brainer. Roberts assumes that diamonds will still be precious and rare in 2059. I'm betting on dirt-cheap diamonds thanks to synthetic production, but my forecasts are far from perfect.
The attraction of REMEMBER WHEN isn't the futuristic insights or clever cons, though. It's in the romantic entanglements between complex men and women, and the sensuous bonds that bring them together and allow them to overcome the wounds that damaged them and threatened to cut them off from humanity. In Nora Roberts' world, love really does work miracles and she makes us buy into the myth.
Very nice indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nora Roberts Has Hit on a Winning Combination, Nov. 16 2003
Bookreporter (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember When (Hardcover)
Laine Tavish, owner of a growing antique shop in tiny Angel's Gap, has struggled to put down roots and shed her past as Elaine O'Hara, daughter of a small-time crook. Building a comfortable life for herself, she covets her privacy almost as much as she values her friends. But all that she has worked for is suddenly threatened by an odd visitor to her shop, which is even more disturbing when she recognizes him (too late) from long ago, just seconds before he dies in her arms. He ran straight from his encounter with her into the street and the path of a car. The words he whispered as he slipped away made no sense to Laine. While she is puzzling over what it means, she encounters another stranger to her little town: handsome and charming Max Gannon. Laine wonders if he is a friend or a foe. Once she decides, her life becomes even more complicated.
Big Jack O'Hara, Laine's father, finally hit the big time with a diamond heist. Trouble is he hooked up with a very nasty fellow named Alex Crew, who never intended to split the take. Since Big Jack disappeared with the goods, Crew figures he has stashed them somewhere, and he's betting that somewhere is with Laine. He ransacks her home and her store, leaving her more angry than spooked. But he doesn't stop with just a wild search of her house. Fortunately, Big Jack taught Laine how to take care of herself. By the end of the first half of the book, almost everything seems well wrapped up. But there's more --- much more.
Over fifty years later Laine's granddaughter, Samantha Gannon, writes a book about the decades-old heist. Samantha's elation over the book's success is quickly overshadowed by the discovery of her house sitter dead in her apartment. When another body turns up, the police sniff out the connection and the investigation gets hot.
Lt. Eve Dallas lands the case and handles it with great aplomb. She tolerates no nonsense, tells it like it is, and commands a great deal of respect. She wants this guy --- bad. The murders are so cruel and violent, and Dallas believes that time is running out --- for her investigation and possibly for Samantha Gannon. She fears Sam just might be the next victim.
The 480 pages of REMEMBER WHEN virtually flash by. Once you get involved in Laine's life --- and the lives of her family --- you'll be kicked back in your easy chair for hours of relaxed enjoyment. Nora Roberts has hit on a winning combination.
--- Reviewed by Kate Ayers

Remember When
Remember When by Nora Roberts (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.70