5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars was so sad to finish this book!, Nov. 13 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have highly recommended it to all of my friends. Thought provoking. Great character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story..., Nov. 8 2014
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
WOW, fantastic story and the movie really kept the story true. It took a helluva lot of courage for those women to tell their stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, July 23 2010
Paul Rider "Pete" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
The book is a phenomenal read. It provides insight to a culture at a time where the Civil Right movement was causing necessary but uncomfortable change. It gave me a view into a life of a wonderful person who cared for me for 11 years. I am grateful to Ms. Stockett for her words and her perspective. Though fiction this is truly an insightful read. This is a book of sacrifice and love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story and Informative, Dec 21 2009
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
The story is interesting, well written but a bit predictable since Black and white relationships in the 60s in the south were often rough, caustic, difficult. So that was to be expected in this story. But to have the perspective of the maids is very interesting. It was my first book about - the help -, i didn't know they called their maids like that. The black women portrayed in this story are really interesting, strong, smart, alive, (i guess like most black women living in the segregationish south). Being from Canada, and far away from that culture, it is a discovery for me to read about southern white women in the 60s in Mississipi. Those white ladies were so lazy, superficial, boring, obtuse, not able to take care of themselves and ther kids, and of course domineering with their help. It was a good story and interesting sociology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Aug. 11 2009
Lea Macfarlane "Book Lover" (Perth, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
This was my favourite read this summer. The characters are amazing and you do actually think about them long after you have read the book and passed it on to a friend. There were moments I put the book down and laughed out loud and there were moments when I could of cried. I agree with other reviewers that this would make a wonderful movie. Buy the book, sit down and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., Nov. 27 2009
Valerie Jefford (CB, Newfoundland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I loved this story and couldn't put it down. It has subtle suspense that keeps you hooked and reading. It's a feel good book, no stomach-turning awful scenes that make you wish you hadn't read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars serious issues mixed with comedy, Jan. 1 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
That was one heck of a good story. I loved the characters. Some are brave, some are bold, some a weak, some are funny. There is a real melange of women and that's what makes it so interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far for 2010, April 4 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
As the title says, so far, this is my favourite book this year. It is well-written, moving and keeps you riveted until the very end. I have been recommending this book to all my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Mammy would have loved this one..., Dec 12 2010
S. Geen (hhn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I had a Mammy, but unlike many of the HELP that Kathryn shares, My Mammy was my angel, she was the sisterI never had, the Mumm who was absent the friend everyone would cherish. As I read each page, I laughed, cried, felt sad, happy, emotional and downright involved. Kathryn shared many tales I had heard before... My Mammy Hughette was one of those ladies that knew when to keep silent, but never around me, we had this pac, never did our secrets be shared with anyone...I always protected her, she protected me... frankly I never saw her colour...to me she was my Mammy...
Each character that Kathyrn introduces was a slice of My Mammy...Pick this book up, read it, treasure it and share it..your heart will swell at the true stories behind their words....Love to see this on screen...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 14 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book was so hard to put down! You cheer for the main characters and get a pit in your stomach when reading the tense parts in the book. Really opened my eyes. We did this for our book club and it was a hit!

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Hardcover - Feb. 10 2009)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44