5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 18 9 1016 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Aug. 11 2009
Lea Macfarlane "Book Lover" (Perth, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
This was my favourite read this summer. The characters are amazing and you do actually think about them long after you have read the book and passed it on to a friend. There were moments I put the book down and laughed out loud and there were moments when I could of cried. I agree with other reviewers that this would make a wonderful movie. Buy the book, sit down and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mississippi 1962, July 13 2009
Lisa Nicole Lawrence "Lisa Lawrence" (Antigonish, nova scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I am a bookaholic and this is the first time I have ever wanted to post a review!!
I LOVED it, I loved the storytelling, the beautiful phrasing, the heartache, the humour and the overall loveliness of this book.
I am heartbroken that it is over because I truly miss the characters.
I am also left with a much better understanding of what the USA "felt like" just a few years before I was born (my mom's descriptions of the south make much more sense now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Jan. 8 2012
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a great book! Can't put it down and Amazon offered at an unbeatable price with very quick delivery. Thanks Amazon for your excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 7 2012
Sarah Dimaria (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This was an excellent read. I absolutely loved it and would definitely re-read.
The character Minny was my absolute favorite. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an enjoyable read!, Dec 29 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised by this clever story and enjoyed it immensely. Kathryn Stockett is a terrific storyteller and uses her witty writing style to document a very difficult time in history through the eyes of three unique women. I was immediately drawn in and loved how the story moved back and forth among the women. The characters are vibrant and lively, and it is fun to witness their growth over the course of the novel. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who is a fan of historical fiction or enjoys some good old fashioned storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of all the Praise and Hype!, Dec 20 2011
Lydia - Novel Escapes (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I finally got around to reading the The Help. I thought I would be disappointed after all the hype which is usually what happens when I don't jump on a `great' book I keep hearing about, but that was far from the case with this one.

I dragged this novel along to a temp job where I was reception relief and my only responsibility was transferring incoming calls. `The computer is solely for your enjoyement' I quote my trainer as she waved to the solitaire game she was playing when I arrived. So, after I got bored of solitaire and Facebook, I presumed reading would be OK and dug The Help out of my bag, worrying about how I would become immersed in a book amidst multiple interruptions. I worried needlessly. The fact that I had to tear my eyes away from the pages numerous times and it still didn't prevent me from becoming immediately absorbed in this story is evidence of what an easy read The Help is as well as how captivating and entertaining it is right from the first page. I enjoyed it so much I grew aggravated when the phone rang and my dialing skills improved with each call so I could get back to reading. I read over 150 pages that afternoon.

The Help is all plot and character. There is little description besides character's observations which is my perfect read. The potential of danger lurking made this a tense read at times and yet I laughed frequently, which surprised me the most about this immensely enjoyable tale.

The characters, oh, the characters. Such incredibly vivid, amazing, colourful women graced these pages. They felt so real that I thought they would jump off the page at me. Written from three women's perspectives, I wasn't at all discouraged as the story flipped around to each narrator. We see the world from Minnie's feisty point of view and Skeeter's humanitarian and questioning eyes as well as my favourite, Aibileen, whose love for little Mae Mobbley knows no bounds even though she knows she's going to have to leave her eventually. My heart ached with their every scene.

This story was so thought provoking and contained such a wonderful commentary on women and friendship and trust and love. Although Stockett could have taken this novel in terrifying directions, she didn't. Instead, while maintaining a strong undercurrent of danger, she kept the story uplifting and upbeat. She focused on the strength of these women, their tenacity, hope and courage and I adored the focus on the good lurking behind closed doors. My favourite line was also Stockett's favourite which addresses female relationships. No spoilers here as it's towards the end of the novel. You'll just have to find it yourself...or if you need a little help it's addressed in the afterward.

So, if you've been holding off on reading The Help because you don't think it will live up to the hype, don't. This is the kind of novel that hits with a solid punch and won't be forgotten easily. I will definitely remember this novel forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Price!, Dec 14 2011
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I couldn't buy the paperback version at the bookstore for this price! Great price and easy shopping! With two toddlers, online shopping is much easier for me. Love Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Nov. 21 2011
This review is from: The Help: Movie Tie-In (Paperback)
Received my book, was in great condition, shipping took awhile but not senders fault, was fault of customs. Great Seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, Nov. 20 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Tout à fait satisfaite du service reçu et du produit. Le produit est arrivé dans les délais prévus et en bon état. Merci.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilly's Hatreds, Nov. 13 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Sometimes I was afraid to read on because I was so invested in these women that I didn't want anything bad to happen to them. A great read for anyone.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1016 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xace30e94)

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Hardcover - Feb. 10 2009)
CDN$ 27.50 CDN$ 17.24