5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Sept. 19 2010
I LOVE BOOKS (Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I loved one of the comments on the back cover of this book (British print): "A laugh-out-loud, vociferously angry must-read". I would only add "Unequivocally poignant and touching".
I would give it 10 stars if I could. Love, hate, integration, familial relationships, tolerance, hope... this is what the book is about. A delightful, funny, moving read. Upsetting and uplifting at the same time.

Jackson, Mississippi, 1960s. When racial integration was still hardly tolerated, the respective paths of two black maids and a white lady belonging to the upper class circle cross. Their personal tales interweave and blend, with a project in mind which will ultimately rock the proverbial boat.

Each main character writes in first person: Aibileen, who is raising her umpteenth white child with love and dedication while constantly thinking of her own son, now dead.

Minny, Aibileen's close friend, married with several children of her own, a maid with a soft heart but a sharp tongue which gets her into trouble more often than not.

Miss Skeeter, a white lady with her own dreams, whose unconventional ideas contrast mildly, and later on, sharply with the society and family she was born into. She also wants to find out why the adored black maid who raised her, Constantine, has inexplicably disappeared. No one is willing to tell her.

Each lady is surrounded by her own sets of characters in the background, characters that however are primary pawns to what will eventually happen.

The author gives voice to Aibileen's and Minny's language superbly. You will find a language contrast between the well-schooled Miss Skeeter and both maids, which renders a vivid and true portrait of their lives and views.

This is, in my opinion, a rare timeless piece of narrative, which will make you think as well as entertain you like very few books can. Wonderful, really wonderful. Well done to the author Ms. Kathryn Stockett!

5.0 out of 5 stars serious issues mixed with comedy, Jan. 1 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
That was one heck of a good story. I loved the characters. Some are brave, some are bold, some a weak, some are funny. There is a real melange of women and that's what makes it so interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., Nov. 27 2009
Valerie Jefford (CB, Newfoundland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I loved this story and couldn't put it down. It has subtle suspense that keeps you hooked and reading. It's a feel good book, no stomach-turning awful scenes that make you wish you hadn't read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Read, May 28 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This is a perfect book for summer. It's a book that you can't put down. This is a nice lazy book that you can open and read for hours while enjoying the sun. I only wish that the ending was different, I felt that Stockett rushed to tie everything together in the last few pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, July 23 2010
Paul Rider "Pete" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
The book is a phenomenal read. It provides insight to a culture at a time where the Civil Right movement was causing necessary but uncomfortable change. It gave me a view into a life of a wonderful person who cared for me for 11 years. I am grateful to Ms. Stockett for her words and her perspective. Though fiction this is truly an insightful read. This is a book of sacrifice and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far for 2010, April 4 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
As the title says, so far, this is my favourite book this year. It is well-written, moving and keeps you riveted until the very end. I have been recommending this book to all my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Aug. 11 2009
Lea Macfarlane "Book Lover" (Perth, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
This was my favourite read this summer. The characters are amazing and you do actually think about them long after you have read the book and passed it on to a friend. There were moments I put the book down and laughed out loud and there were moments when I could of cried. I agree with other reviewers that this would make a wonderful movie. Buy the book, sit down and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mississippi 1962, July 13 2009
Lisa Nicole Lawrence "Lisa Lawrence" (Antigonish, nova scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I am a bookaholic and this is the first time I have ever wanted to post a review!!
I LOVED it, I loved the storytelling, the beautiful phrasing, the heartache, the humour and the overall loveliness of this book.
I am heartbroken that it is over because I truly miss the characters.
I am also left with a much better understanding of what the USA "felt like" just a few years before I was born (my mom's descriptions of the south make much more sense now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Jan. 8 2012
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a great book! Can't put it down and Amazon offered at an unbeatable price with very quick delivery. Thanks Amazon for your excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 7 2012
Sarah Dimaria (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This was an excellent read. I absolutely loved it and would definitely re-read.
The character Minny was my absolute favorite. Would recommend.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Hardcover - Feb. 10 2009)
CDN$ 27.50 CDN$ 17.24