4.0 out of 5 stars i miss the old cornwell books

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried twice to read the first 100 pages
Published on Dec 27 2011 by Audiobooklover

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried twice to read the first 100 pages, Dec 27 2011
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
I gave up after the second try. Scarpetta is extremely morbid to the point of annoying. I find the last few Scarpetta novels similar. I use to love Cornwall books and is the reason I love foresic mysteries but the last few attempts are just torture to finish. I'm sorry, as much as I enjoyed reading the Scarpetta novels up to Scarpetta marrying Benton, I am no longer going to read her novels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 4 2012
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
I agree with the other comments - I was a diehard fan for years but not anymore. It's almost as if another author is writing these last books as they are not at all of the caliber we experienced in the earlier years. A complete disappointment on all accounts sadly.

1.0 out of 5 stars So sad the loss of a once great author, Jan. 1 2012
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
I must repeat all that is written in the previous reviews ... such a loss of a once
magnificant author . There was a time I stayed up all night to finish her books.. now
I am saddened to lose that gift she bestowed upon us. And the booksigning post was very
disheartening indeed :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Another disappointing outing from Cornwell, Jan. 9 2012
PaddyD (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
This, alas, will likely be the last Patricia Cornwell book I ever buy. I said that the last time, but after reading a few initial good reviews, hope conquered experience and I bought Red Mist. I shouldn't have. I've read all of the Scarpetta novels over the years and loved the earlier ones. The last few have been bad and getting worse. I couldn't help thinking as I plowed through Red Mist, that if this had been a first book submitted to publishers it would have received nothing but rejection slips. The plot was not believable, the characters have one emotional speed (angry/irritable) and there was little or no real tension. There's no mystery - the foreshadowing (if you can call it that) was more like being hit over the head with a mallet. And motive? Who needs a compelling motive? Add to that, just plain lousy writing, which seemed to indicate that Cornwell's editor(s) seem to give her carte blanche these days. Either that, or she's trying very hard to get out of a long contract with her publisher. Either way, don't waste your money. There are far, far more compelling mystery writers out there worth your time and attention. (Lisa Gardner, Greg Iles, Harlen Coben, Michael Connelly...)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame...., Jan. 7 2012
Sarah Dimaria (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
I have to agree with a lot of the previous reviews. This book plodded along. It took 200 pages for the story to get going! Like many of the other reviewers, I used to read every PC novel but the stories have really dwindled and I think this may be the last one I buy. I wish she would go back to her old format of writing, this one was just terrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars red mist, Oct. 2 2012
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
An arrogant book..could not get past 4 chapters. Written as if you needed to read all her previous books to follow the plot..who are these characters..she assumes we know & just carries on..Loved her early books but I m done with her.

2.0 out of 5 stars `There are no more questions when people already have the answers.', March 2 2012
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
This is the nineteenth Kay Scarpetta novel so far published. In this novel, Kay Scarpetta travels to a prison near Savannah, Georgia because of a letter from an inmate. The inmate is Kathleen Lawler, a convicted sex offender who some 30 years previously had been sent to prison for seducing a 12-year-old boy called Jack Fielding. Jack Fielding, as readers of this series will know, was once Scarpetta's deputy chief medical officer in Boston.

Jack Fielding was murdered, shot in the head by his and Kathleen Lawler's daughter, Dawn Kincaid, and Scarpetta hopes that by meeting with Lawler she can find some answers to his aberrant behaviour and try to assuage her own guilt over his death.

But nothing goes to plan, and nothing is as it seems. When Scarpetta meets with Lawler, she is passed a piece of paper with a mobile phone number. And when she calls, she's shocked to find herself talking to Ms Jaime Berger: high profile New York District Attorney, and her niece Lucy's estranged lover. Somehow, Pete Marino is also involved and then the death of Kathleen Lawler results in its own investigation, which involves both Kay Scarpetta's husband and niece. When will the killings stop, and who is behind them?

I enjoyed this series far better when Kay Scarpetta was helping solve the crimes, not caught up in the centre of them. It's all too convoluted, soap opera-ish and angsty for me, and I think I'll stop my Scarpetta journey here. So long, and thanks for the memories.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars i miss the old cornwell books, Dec 28 2011
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
well, I have read all of Cornwell's books for the last 20 years and I do agree with others that they have declined (the declination began with Blowfly which was the first of her books i became very disappointed in, I really miss the older novels up to Black Notice which i think was the last excellent book she has written, I miss the days of simple yet complex themes with more attn to the forensic pathology that made those books so great, I do not care for all the politics and the high edge technology in all the later books can get pretty boring most times, i wish she would go back to her style of writing for which she became so famous-and i do miss the setting in Richmond, Va. Of course PC is gonna make many millions off of any book she writes most likely, but it would be nice if she would listen to all the Scarpetta fans who have been faithful since Postmorten first debuted. Please PC give us a book more similar to the style you used in your first 10 novels, however i will say the death of one the characters appearing in her books since The Last Precinct was a bit of a shocker and did most likely keep me reading this book til the end, but it still doesn't compare to the older ones and I found it a bit tedious that the first 1/3 of this book takes place in one day!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Still haven't finished it., June 7 2013
This review is from: Red Mist (Mass Market Paperback)
I got this almost a year ago, had a baby, haven't had a chance to finish it. Can't really review it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forensic Mystery, Jan. 4 2013
Ronald E. Dines (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mist (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't get me wrong. I'm a PC fan, but this wasn't her best. She doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with Marino. The "twins" bit is overworked. Lucy is a lot like Elsbeth Salander ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") with her "Take no Prisoners" mentality. Strong character, but she'd be tough to get close to. It was a bold move to kill off someone who'd once been a major character. This takes guts and shows confidence. OK. I guess criminals are stupid, but the prison deaths were so bloody obvious that anyone with a brain could have seen it and the perpetrator was just begging to be caught.

Red Mist
Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell (Hardcover - Dec 6 2011)
CDN$ 32.50 CDN$ 8.90