5.0 out of 5 stars Two Stories in One
Jan Brett has some of the most beautifully illustrated books around. This is no exception.
Nikki is a boy who convinces Baba to knit him some mittens that are as white as snow. Baba warns him that white mittens are very easy to lose. Baba is right.
Published on Sept. 9 2003 by Joshua Koppel

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated but I like Tresselt's version better
Published on Jan. 3 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated but I like Tresselt's version better, Jan. 3 2003
By A Customer
As a preschool teacher and a parent, I prefer the Tresselt version of this story. In Brett's version, the animals in the mitten each let the next one enter out of fear. I think this can be a dangerous lesson to teach young children. Tresselt's animals let each other in because they want to help them when they see them suffering from cold. I think it conveys more positive and humane values, and it also told with gentle wit and wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Stories in One, Sept. 9 2003
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Nikki goes out to play and almost immediately drops one of the mittens. This is where the two stories come in. The main story is told in the large illustrations on each page as a series of animals squeeze themselves into the mitten. In the borders of each page, we see Nikki as he plays and ultimately disturbs each of the animals so that they leave their homes and eventually find the mitten.
The stories cross as a sneeze blasts the animals out of the mitten and we see Nikki retrieve it in the main illustrations while the borders show the animals returning to their homes. Baba sees Nikki reach up and catch the mitten as it drops from the sky, but she is puzzled when she sees that one mitten is now much larger than the other.
Absolutely beautiful illustrations. A simple story but full of fun as we see how each of the animals enters the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars The board book lacks the impact of the full-size editions!, Dec 6 2002
By A Customer
I bought this a few years ago on the strength of all the good reviews on amazon.com, but my toddler/pre-school daughter never really liked the book much, and the illustrations never grabbed her. This year I bought the Jan Brett Christmas Treasury--a collection of her winter and Christmas stories--even though I was sorry that The Mitten was a duplicate. Then I discovered what a difference the format makes! The illustrations on 11 x 11-inch pages are eye-popping and reveal the story so much better. And what the description here doesn't tell you is that the text in the board book is *abridged,* which simplifies the story line to a bare minimum and doesn't connect the illustrations together as well. Spring for the hardbound full-size or used paperback full-size, or spend not much more for the many books in the Christmas Treasury and you'll get a better read for your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mitten, March 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Mitten (Hardcover)
The story of the Mitten begins when a boy named Nicki begs Baba to sew him white, wool mittens. After she finished, the boy went to play with them. Baba said that when he got home, she would check to see if he was alright, then see if he still had the new mittens. Soon, Nicki dropped one of his mittens and lost it. Many different animals found the mitten to be a good place to rest. At the end, Nicki finds his mitten and returns home. The only thing, is that one mitten is four times bigger then the other.
I really enjoyed the book, The Mitten. It was always may favorite when I was a young child. The story really kept my attention, and I could follow it very easily. I liked all the different types of animals. I though the story was very good, and I'm sure you would too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem!, June 14 2002
Nikol Le Vine "poet17" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for ways to introduce our family's Ukrainian heritage to my son (now 18 months). I was very pleasantly surprised to come across this book. It shows both the young boy and his grandmother in traditional Ukrainian dress. They even call the grandmother Baba (the Ukrainian word for grandmother). But even beyond the Ukrainian stuff, this book is excellent. The illustrations are beautiful. There are small inset illustrations that tell more background of the story along with the larger, main pictures. So this book is both a picture book and a story book in one. My son loves to look at the animals and all but shrieks with laughter whenever we act out the big sneeze that shoots them all out of the mitten. I'm sure this book will be a treasure in our home for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated book!, Feb. 4 2004
My 18-month-old sons love this book. I have to read this one to them over and over ~~ they love the bright colorful pictures. They love hearing about the animals. And I love reading it to them. It's fun and pleasurable on the eyes as well.
Nicki wants a pair of white mittens and his Baba agrees to make it for him. However, he loses one and a mole decided to rest in the white mitten lying on the snow. He soon is joined by a rabbit, a fox, hedgehog, badger, owl, a bear and a tiny mouse. It's hilarious to imagine all of them in one tiny little mitten ~~ and so fun to read too!
I recommend Brett's books for everyone. She's a wonderful story-teller and her art is beautifully-illustrated. She is an example of how children's books should be!
2-4-04

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Illustrated Whimsical Tale, April 25 2000
Currently my children's favorite book, The Mitten scores on several levels. First, the art is wonderful. Seven or eight animals are pictured in the book (and very well drawn) which makes it a visual feast. Each two page spread also includes two smaller "summary" and "foreshadowing" pictures that relate to the previous and following page. It makes for a spread that has a lot of possibilities for young pre-readers in terms of connecting the story and describing what each character has done and will be doing. The tale itself is whimsical and amuses the pre-school set. A fine children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mitten-- A Wonderful Folk Tale for All Ages, Jan. 4 1998
By A Customer
Jan Brett's beautiful and intricately detailed illustrations bring this Ukranian folk tale to life! In the story, a young boy drops a white mitten in the snow. One by one, various animals squeeze into the warm mitten to keep warm, and every time, the mitten stretches even more. Finally, a small animal moves in, and causes another animal to sneeze, sending the entire group flying from the mitten! Later, Nikki finds his mitten, and hurries home to his grandma, whose expression is the best, as she looks at the stretched mitten! Wonderful story, but evern more wonderful illustrations!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mitten Book Review, March 12 2002
The Mitten Book Review

The Mitten is a good book .In the book, a boy gets a pair of mittens that his Grandmother made for him. When he went outside he dropped a mitten, but he did not know it. My favorite part is when the bear sneezed and the animals flew. The Mitten is by Jan Brett.
I learned that you should keep track of your stuff. One of my favorite parts when his grandmother gives him the mittens. One more part I like is he's coming home and his grandmother looks at him. If you like good books you'll like this book.

By George
...

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an excellent choice for kids of all ages!!, Dec 14 1998
As a kindergarten teacher, I am always on the lookout for ways to encorporate literature into my everyday lessons. Jan Brett's The Mitten is a must for the first day of winter. The children love the illustrations and guessing how many animals will fit into the mitten. They "read" the book to each other long after the lesson is over. The class also publishes their own book about what could fit in their mitten. The Mitten is a delightful story with predictability and loveable animal characters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Mitten
The Mitten by Jan Brett (Hardcover - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 25.50 CDN$ 15.99