5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great price!!
In preparing our list of Christmas books to share with others, we had to search far and wide on amazon to find this particular book, a paperback edition of the classic Night Before Christmas.
This is the book I've used for years when reading this story to my own children, passing on Tasha Tudor and other illustrators. Why?
Although we can find the same poem and...
Published on Nov. 1 2000 by Quaker Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for.
I bought this book for my husband as it was a cherished book from childhood and our son ripped the pages of his original one last year at xmas. It took a long time to find and succussfully purchase thid one. I was very pleased by the price of this book; however, when I received it, most of the revolving pages were ripped and cannot be used in the way it is meant to be...
Published on Jan. 24 2012 by Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great price!!, Nov. 1 2000
Although we can find the same poem and pay a lot more, with award winning illustrators, the illustrations provided by Douglas Gorsline are surely the best. They are quite colorful, and offer details little children love looking into...cats lie sleepily on the window sill, we see an overview of the town, the presents spilling from the open sack are intriguing and plentiful, and Jolly St. Nick is -- well, quite Jolly (as you can see by looking at the cover!)
The story is an "abridged version" - I'm not sure about other parents, but we read this on Christmas Eve, and we only have so much time and energy. Everything we remember from the classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore is in this version.
(From "'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" to "He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,"HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!" In between we have everything, from the names of the eight tiny reindeer, to a belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly, including dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky".
In other words, don't be scared off by 'abridged'!)
Perhaps a hardcover edition might be more appropriate if you're giving a gift (unless you're giving to more than one child), but this book is one of the best offers we've found!
A classic done simply and inexpensively!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Family Gift, Aug. 18 2003
Kathleen H. "kathehemmer2" (Syracuse, NY United States) - See all my reviews
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore, with illustrations
by Mary Engelbreit, is the perfect Family gift or chidren's present.The poetic tale of The Night Before Christmas, can become a lovely custom to sit and read with a child during the hectic days preceding the Holiday.
Every family should own this classic tale that never tires children.The illustrations are magnificent in this book, but not too
sophisticated for children.It could be any era, not just 1820.
I remember with nostalgic pleasure having this read to me,
until I began to recognize the words and reading it to myself on a nightly basis.
I am sure another generation of children will be thrilled
with this book,and their parents will likely feel the same
with the memories it invokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent artwork! And what child doesn't love this story!, Jan. 1 2004
Momof3dd (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
Each page in this book is definitely a piece of art! Mary Engelbreit outdid herself on this one. I initially checked it out from our local library and then decided I wanted it for our girls. It's a book I want them to be able to read to their own children one day! I would definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely beautiful book, Nov. 11 2003
John (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Couldn't recommend this edition highly enough. The illustrations are beautiful and bring the magic of Christmas to life for both young and old. It truly is an heirloom edition made all the more special by the brass christmas stocking bookmark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., Oct. 15 2003
I am a huge Engelbreit fan, and I just love this book. Every page is dazzling. My two year old loves it as well; he just gets lost in every illustration. He points to this and that and just can't get enough of just LOOKING. Engelbreit's bright colors and attention to detail just shine in this book. They just don't come any better than this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic story, Jan. 29 2010
With the night before Christmas you usually know what you are getting. I like the book but wish the pictures were brighter. I know i know it is supposed to be night but it is a childrens book and in the story even says it is bright like midday from the new snow. Santa is so dark he looks burgundy even beside the brightly lit Christmas tree. They also could have been a but more creative in their pictures. Just an average book but the price was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Beautiful Book, Jan. 2 2002
Elizabeth Payne (Fairport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Gorgeous...that is the best word to describe this book.
Christian Birmingham's illustrations create the pictures of the story that we all have in our heads...but alas, cannot paint ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Before Christmas, Nov. 13 2001
D. Evert (Mazomanie, WI USA) - See all my reviews
What makes this book different from the rest of the Night Before Christmas books is the illustrations. The pictures are that of a traditional victorian home. The detail is incredible. Purchasing this book is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. We enjoy this book not only every day in December, but throughout the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book looks so authentic it resembles the real thing!, Nov. 1 1999
By A Customer
The Night Before Christmas-or A visit by St. Nicholas is a Christmas poem that is a must-read piece of literature. This particular version- is a reproduction of the original copy. The illustrations and print are absolutely beautiful . It takes the reader back in time to an era which truly captivates the real meaning of Christmas through the eyes of an innocent child. This classic work can be read over and over by anyone at any age. This particular version will add to anyone's heirloom Christmas collections and will no doubt be left on display for all to enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will become a new tradition for all ages!, Jan. 17 2004
This review is from: Visit (Hardcover)
I came upon this book after the holidays were over and regret that I didn't find it before Christmas. This book was so enchanting that I went back to purchase more as gifts for next Christmas and was disappointed when they were sold out. This story is written in poem form as recalled by Dinghy Sharp, the great-great-grandaughter of Clement C. Moore, author of the famous poem, The Night Before Christmas, written on Christmas Eve of 1822. The story captures the history and origin of his poem that was passed down from generation to generation in their family. Many verses from the poem are explained in the story to help readers understand the poem's meaning. The story ends with a copy of The Night Before Christmas, handwritten by Clement C. Moore along with his signature, dated 1862. This story will become a new family tradition in my home for many years to come. It will be read on Christmas Eve, among other stories that are currently read as tradition in our home. I intend to pass this wonderful version of Moore's poem on to my children with the hope that it will be passed on from generation to generation as it was told in the Moore family.

Night Before Christmas
Night Before Christmas by Clement Morre (Hardcover - Oct. 1 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01