march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 1, 2000
In preparing our list of Christmas books to share with others, we had to search far and wide on amazon to find this particular book, a paperback edition of the classic Night Before Christmas.
This is the book I've used for years when reading this story to my own children, passing on Tasha Tudor and other illustrators. Why?
Although we can find the same poem and pay a lot more, with award winning illustrators, the illustrations provided by Douglas Gorsline are surely the best. They are quite colorful, and offer details little children love looking into...cats lie sleepily on the window sill, we see an overview of the town, the presents spilling from the open sack are intriguing and plentiful, and Jolly St. Nick is -- well, quite Jolly (as you can see by looking at the cover!)
The story is an "abridged version" - I'm not sure about other parents, but we read this on Christmas Eve, and we only have so much time and energy. Everything we remember from the classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore is in this version.
(From "'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" to "He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,"HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!" In between we have everything, from the names of the eight tiny reindeer, to a belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly, including dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky".
In other words, don't be scared off by 'abridged'!)
Perhaps a hardcover edition might be more appropriate if you're giving a gift (unless you're giving to more than one child), but this book is one of the best offers we've found!
A classic done simply and inexpensively!
on October 15, 2003
I am a huge Engelbreit fan, and I just love this book. Every page is dazzling. My two year old loves it as well; he just gets lost in every illustration. He points to this and that and just can't get enough of just LOOKING. Engelbreit's bright colors and attention to detail just shine in this book. They just don't come any better than this!
on August 18, 2003
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore, with illustrations
by Mary Engelbreit, is the perfect Family gift or chidren's present.The poetic tale of The Night Before Christmas, can become a lovely custom to sit and read with a child during the hectic days preceding the Holiday.
Every family should own this classic tale that never tires children.The illustrations are magnificent in this book, but not too
sophisticated for children.It could be any era, not just 1820.
I remember with nostalgic pleasure having this read to me,
until I began to recognize the words and reading it to myself on a nightly basis.
I am sure another generation of children will be thrilled
with this book,and their parents will likely feel the same
with the memories it invokes.
on November 11, 2003
Couldn't recommend this edition highly enough. The illustrations are beautiful and bring the magic of Christmas to life for both young and old. It truly is an heirloom edition made all the more special by the brass christmas stocking bookmark.
on January 2, 2002
Gorgeous...that is the best word to describe this book.
Christian Birmingham's illustrations create the pictures of the story that we all have in our heads...but alas, cannot paint ourselves.
on November 13, 2001
What makes this book different from the rest of the Night Before Christmas books is the illustrations. The pictures are that of a traditional victorian home. The detail is incredible. Purchasing this book is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. We enjoy this book not only every day in December, but throughout the year.
on October 25, 2012
I search for this book based on my childhood memories of the artwork. You can imagine how many versions there are and my joy when I finally found this version with the artwork I fondly remember from my Christmas' past.

Shipping was fast although just slightly outside of the window they specified. Book arrived in pristine condition and I have no complaints. Price was right (1c!) and shipping cost was reasonable to my postal code in Southern Alberta.

If you are seeking the best "The Night Before Christmas" book out there, I can recommend this version and this seller.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 28, 2010
Who could resist a book illustrated by Tomie dePaola? Certainly not anyone at our house. Through the years his name on a cover draws us as few other children's book illustrators do. He received the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure - how appropriate! For so many parents and youngsters he is, indeed, a living treasure. His other honors include the Caldecott Honor Award and the Newbery Honor Award. Today reproductions of art from his books are found in many galleries.

This traditional Christmas story comes to life once again thanks to Mr. dePaola. He has set the story in New Hampshire circa 1840, and found inspiration for the page borders from designs for New England quilts (some from his personal collection).

It's wonderful to have this sturdy board book edition to be enjoyed over and over again by young eyes and hands. It's a generous size so the art work can be fully appreciated - from the toy soldier peeping out of Santa's pack to the cat snoozing on the hearth.

Mr. dePaola has been published for some 40 years, and we're hoping for 40 more.

- Gail Cooke
on November 28, 1998
Clement C. Moore is my Great Uncle . From what I understand via my family, he wrote this and gave it to the city of New York as a gift one might say. My family has never profited financially from its popularity but we know that it brings so much love and happiness to others during this time of year, we profit every time a child reads it for the first time. I am curious to know of anyone who may have details of my uncle that may be little known. This story has been under my families tree and read at our tables for so many years. My name is Allison Cross and I live in Arizona. When I read this poem I feel like I am at home by the fire with snow on the ground and eggnog on my breath, I long for the snow during these times and reading Clements works eases me and enables me to imagine the traditional Christmas that makes this time of year so special to me. Please E-mail me with any comments or stories you may have about this work.(DAMATHEY @prodigy.com) " Merry Christmas to all...."
on December 26, 1999
I bought this book late in 1994 and read it to my little boy and girl on Christmas eves. Of course the poem is a great classic, but what makes this edition worth buying are the illustrations, they are simply magnificent, far better than other editions I have seen. I see now that it is out of print, do yourself a favor and spare no effort or expense to find one!