5.0 out of 5 stars Good Night Gorilla
Excellent. This book is recommended for language development (delayed S/L, EAL/ESL) students. As a language instructor I plan to build a unit of work with this book.
Published 13 months ago by Grace Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugly
I bought this against my better judgement because of the positive reviews, but my son hates it because of the ugly pictures.
Published 7 months ago by Graeme

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Night Gorilla, March 11 2013
This review is from: Good Night, Gorilla (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bedtime book for toddlers, Dec 14 2012
My little guy just loves this book for bedtime! I think the best part of this book is the opportunities where you can make the story your own and insert noises, descriptions, etc to enhance the story. I can honestly say that while he gets tired of most other books after a few weeks, this one has become a mainstay in our going to sleep routine :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Gorilla, Dec 3 2012
Kay Hansen (Black Creek, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
The Good Night Gorilla board book is the standard gift we give to every baby that we know. It is such a delightful book to read and the illustrations are beautiful. I think of it as a comical version of the beloved Good Night Moon. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2-year-old son's favorite book, April 23 2003
R. Treynor (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Every night, I'll read several stories to my 2-year-old, but he always insists that we end with a reading of "Goodnight Gorilla" - he loves the facial expressions on the gorilla, and thanks to this book, now knows what armadillos and hyenas are...even if he can't quite pronounce 'armadillo' yet.
It's a wonderful, silly book. If your child likes "Goodnight Moon," (s)he will probably get a kick out of this silly story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, March 2 2014
C. Vaz (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Night, Gorilla (Paperback)
The book is a lot of fun for our little boys. Its mostly a picture book so you can make the story as you go or encourage your little ones to story tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic must have for little ones, April 14 2009
Julia Henshall "heartdance" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Gorilla (Board book)
My toddler and preschooler have loved this book since they were 18 months old. Super fun to track the mouse, the balloon and the banana - this book is referenced in another book by this author - "10 Minutes Till Bedtime". :) YOu can see the red balloon in the other book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Sneaky Gorilla !, Nov. 27 2005
This review is from: Goodnight Gorilla (Paperback)
I have read this story to my 2 yr old son many, many times and each time he seems to find another small detail in the illustrations that he delights in, whether it is the colour of the keys or the armadillo's soother, he is so happy to point them out. We read this story in a hushed tone to set the mood for the sneaky gorilla who manages to release the entire zoo population who then sneak into the keeper's house for the night. My son's favourite page is the page with just the eyes of the keeper's wife in the dark when all the animals have answered her "goodnight" wish to her husband. There are very few words in this story but we manage to make it one of the longest stories we read by discussing the details and giggling over the gorilla's antics. We love this story and we know you will too !

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only cute, but really quite good, Jan. 23 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
The creators of children's picture books that seek to enchant the viewer always run the risk of sometimes becoming TOO sweet. A book that's dripping with sweetie-pie sentiments is always in danger of disgusting the discerning (and purchasing) parent. "Good Night, Gorilla", on the other hand, balances deftly between sweet and smart, becoming both at once. In a simple story, a night watchman at a zoo bids goodnight to each of his animals as a sneaky gorilla unlocks them one by one. The unwitting watchman goes home (animals in tow) and it's up to his wife to put them all to bed again. If I was a better writer I'd be able to tell you just how cute this book is. It's SO cute! But not stupid in the least. Rathmann has filled this story with clever little subplots that kids will enjoy following. A small mouse with a banana lugs the heavy object from picture to picture. Rathmann even goes so far as to wrap a picture on the back of the book's cover around and into the inner fold where the tiny mouse stands by, patiently. The book also emotes deadpan beautifully. In one scene the watchman's wife says goodnight to her husband and the page goes black. Next we hear each animal in the room (that crept in unbeknownst to her) saying goodnight back. The two page spread that follows is just a single pair of wide open eyes in the black dark room. The deadpan wit will not be lost on either kids or their adult parents. If you'd like a book that you can read fifty times over without getting nauseated or bored, find yerself a copy of "Good Night, Gorilla", and count yourself lucky for having discovered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun again and again!, April 27 2004
I love this book and so does my toddler! We read it over and over. I love that we can think of different stories for every page and the illustrations and wonderful!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars We read it over, and over, and over..., Jan. 9 2004
By A Customer
My son loves this book. While it does not have many words, the illustrations are wonderful. After about 3 times of reading it we began really looking at the pictures and now the book is quite interactive. The Gorilla uses a colored key to match the color on the bars for each animal. My 19 month old is not only learning the animal names and their sounds, he is also learning their colors. He of course has favorite pages that we have to read over and over, but overall, this is the one we have in a small travel size book and the larger library sized board book.

ARRAY(0xc056c768)

Good Night, Gorilla (oversized board book)
Good Night, Gorilla (oversized board book) by Peggy Rathmann (Board book - Sept. 13 2004)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55