5.0 out of 5 stars Not only cute, but really quite good
Published on Jan. 23 2004 by E. R. Bird

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugly
I bought this against my better judgement because of the positive reviews, but my son hates it because of the ugly pictures.
Published 13 months ago by Graeme

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only cute, but really quite good, Jan. 23 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
The creators of children's picture books that seek to enchant the viewer always run the risk of sometimes becoming TOO sweet. A book that's dripping with sweetie-pie sentiments is always in danger of disgusting the discerning (and purchasing) parent. "Good Night, Gorilla", on the other hand, balances deftly between sweet and smart, becoming both at once. In a simple story, a night watchman at a zoo bids goodnight to each of his animals as a sneaky gorilla unlocks them one by one. The unwitting watchman goes home (animals in tow) and it's up to his wife to put them all to bed again. If I was a better writer I'd be able to tell you just how cute this book is. It's SO cute! But not stupid in the least. Rathmann has filled this story with clever little subplots that kids will enjoy following. A small mouse with a banana lugs the heavy object from picture to picture. Rathmann even goes so far as to wrap a picture on the back of the book's cover around and into the inner fold where the tiny mouse stands by, patiently. The book also emotes deadpan beautifully. In one scene the watchman's wife says goodnight to her husband and the page goes black. Next we hear each animal in the room (that crept in unbeknownst to her) saying goodnight back. The two page spread that follows is just a single pair of wide open eyes in the black dark room. The deadpan wit will not be lost on either kids or their adult parents. If you'd like a book that you can read fifty times over without getting nauseated or bored, find yerself a copy of "Good Night, Gorilla", and count yourself lucky for having discovered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Sneaky Gorilla !, Nov. 27 2005
This review is from: Goodnight Gorilla (Paperback)
I have read this story to my 2 yr old son many, many times and each time he seems to find another small detail in the illustrations that he delights in, whether it is the colour of the keys or the armadillo's soother, he is so happy to point them out. We read this story in a hushed tone to set the mood for the sneaky gorilla who manages to release the entire zoo population who then sneak into the keeper's house for the night. My son's favourite page is the page with just the eyes of the keeper's wife in the dark when all the animals have answered her "goodnight" wish to her husband. There are very few words in this story but we manage to make it one of the longest stories we read by discussing the details and giggling over the gorilla's antics. We love this story and we know you will too !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Night Gorilla, March 11 2013
This review is from: Good Night, Gorilla (Paperback)
Excellent. This book is recommended for language development (delayed S/L, EAL/ESL) students. As a language instructor I plan to build a unit of work with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bedtime book for toddlers, Dec 14 2012
My little guy just loves this book for bedtime! I think the best part of this book is the opportunities where you can make the story your own and insert noises, descriptions, etc to enhance the story. I can honestly say that while he gets tired of most other books after a few weeks, this one has become a mainstay in our going to sleep routine :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2-year-old son's favorite book, April 23 2003
R. Treynor (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Every night, I'll read several stories to my 2-year-old, but he always insists that we end with a reading of "Goodnight Gorilla" - he loves the facial expressions on the gorilla, and thanks to this book, now knows what armadillos and hyenas are...even if he can't quite pronounce 'armadillo' yet.
It's a wonderful, silly book. If your child likes "Goodnight Moon," (s)he will probably get a kick out of this silly story.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Still Finding Details in the Illustrations!, Aug. 18 2001
DAYE (MA United States) - See all my reviews
This is by far my favorite and my 21 month old daughter's favorite. The illustrations are amazing in their detail. I've been reading it to my daughter since she was about 8 months old, and I'm still finding fun "treasures" in the pictures - such as the people appearing in the window of the neighbor's house, the photo on the bedside table. There are so many others, but I don't want to give it away as the fun is in discovering. There is so much to this book with few words - my daughter gets different things out of it at different stages of her development. As an infant she liked the rhythmic "Goodnight Gorilla...Goodnight...Elephant, etc." and the bright colors. As she started learning animals, she loved pointing out the zoo animals. Later she was enthralled by finding the banana on every page. Lately she has been interested inthe different items in each of their cages. She was so excited the evening she realized the doll in the armadillo's cage was "Baby Ernie!". You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars We read it every night!, March 5 1999
By A Customer
My sister sent this book when my son was only a month old, and he has been read the book almost every day in the subsequent 15 months. With very few words, but the most expressive illustrations, this book tells the story of a naughty gorilla who frees all of the animals in the zoo and leads them into the zookeeper's house and bedroom.
Simple as it is, the book provides lots to talk about--the names of the animals as they join the line to the zookeeper's house, the little mouse with the banana, the toys in the animals' cages, the surprise of the zookeeper's wife when she realizes the animals have bunked down in her bedroom. (You almost get the feeling this is not the first time this has happened.) The little touches are wonderful, my favorite being the peeled and eaten banana at the end, after the little mouse totes it around throughout the book.
This is my favorite book of my son's and I believe he understands the humor of it. He's now climbing the stairs and I can get him up to his room by promising we'll read "Goodnight, Gorilla."

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous- the illustrations are hilarious!, March 3 2001
This review is from: Good Night, Gorilla (Paperback)
My almost 2 year old son will not go to sleep until he reads this book! A zookeeper is locking up for the night and checking that all the animals are secure in their cages. Little does he know that the gorilla (who is so funny looking at us while making the "shhh!" sign)has swiped his keys and is following him around, unlocking all the animals cages. Eventually, the zookeeper goes home, unknowingly with all the animals in tow. They all crawl into bed with the zookeepers wife, who, after discovering there's far more than 2 in the bed, must take all the animals back. The gorillas facial expressions are priceless, and when you read it, note the pictures on the zookeepers walls- his wedding photo is there, and while his wife is in a wedding dress, he's wearing his zookeeper uniform! It's the little hilarious attention to details that make this book as enjoyable for adults as it is for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for toddlers!!, Oct. 18 2002
Ei "crzybookmoovielover" (Seekonk, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
My son loves this book! I think it must be because the illustrations are easy on his eyes. The drawings are very childlike and the colors(mostly primary)are perfect. This is the story of a zookeeper who is closing the zoo for the night, and while he says "goodnight" to each critter, the gorilla, who is first, steals his keys and lets all the animals out. They all follow him home, and he never even notices! His pop eyed wife has to take care of them herself. It's the most adorable little book! There isn't much to read. It's more of a feast for the child's eyes right before he sets off to night nights.
The copy I have is a small board book, and it's small enough for my son's little hands to hold and admire all by himself.
I highly recommend buying this for the child at age 21 month and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic must have for little ones, April 14 2009
Julia Henshall "heartdance" (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Gorilla (Board book)
My toddler and preschooler have loved this book since they were 18 months old. Super fun to track the mouse, the balloon and the banana - this book is referenced in another book by this author - "10 Minutes Till Bedtime". :) YOu can see the red balloon in the other book!

Good Night, Gorilla (oversized board book)
Good Night, Gorilla (oversized board book) by Peggy Rathmann (Board book - Sept. 13 2004)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 12.80