5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than "The Xibalba Murders"!
Published 24 months ago by Carolyn

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in depth.
Published on April 7 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than "The Xibalba Murders"!, July 31 2012
Carolyn (Manitoba) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Maltese Goddess An Archaelogical Mystery (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved Lyn Hamilton's first mystery enough to call her "the best Canadian author I've ever read". I admire how she refrains from stating the obvious. This keeps action at the forefront, so stories are full of it. She kept unnecessary dialogue and steps at bay so well; I merely said she could indulge in more description. If the author received these observations of her first work, I praise her for making "The Maltese Goddess" even better!

It contains all the excellent research and cultural flavour I love but this time, she coloured in magnificent description. You accompany the protagonist, Lara, as a newcomer getting to know this island and feel her affection for the hosts and key players. The characters are developed superbly, an achievement in a story with a large quantity who are each distinct. Using students and a passionate teacher to present Malta's ancient history is entertaining and well done. Crazy driving conditions of the country are humorous and really speak to a visitor's awkwardness.

Lyn's work is highly recommended by me again. There is a touch of politics, murder mystery, the exciting elements of old secrets and hidden artifacts, and relationship threads that are particularly complex this time round. Not least, it's a pleasure to acquaint series staples better, like Lara's shop partner and close friend, Alex. Every time I turn Lyn Hamilton pages, I learn even as I am entertained.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in depth., April 7 1999
By A Customer
Somewhat intrigued by the cover and title, I ended up reading this book and came away disappointed. Already a short book (245 pages), it would have been even shorter had the author left out the pages of interior-design filler material and the constant archaeological lectures of the young man (I forget his name) on Malta. These lectures were the most annoying part of the story; I had the impression the author was copying information out of an encyclopedia and spitting it back out of this convenient character's mouth. Don't waste your time on this one. Tim Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not her best., July 23 2003
I like Lyn Hamilton's style of writing, and I like the way she really gives a complete picture of her locales. I like the character of Lara also, and I don't find her coy or pretentious. That said, this isn't the best of these books, but it is worth reading. It fills in the story of how Lyn meets Rob, and how their friendship develops.
The story is slow in some places, and I didn't find a lot intrigue as I have in her other books. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lara Mc Clintoch finally in Europe, April 13 2000
Mr. Galea, a very good customer of Lara, buys some antiques in her shop, but needs here to put everything in his maltese house for an important party. Paying her well for that, she can't refuse to fly to Malta and arrange that. But what a surprise when he arrives dead at destination inside a piece of furniture. Lara is suspected of the murder, so she has to investigate to find out the real one.
Still with an archeological link, still a good story, but still not at the level of the first of her. You will see the real Lyn Hamilton again in the next book, THE CELTIC RIDDLE, but why not read all of them in the chronological order, it is much better !

2.0 out of 5 stars What's this writer's problem?, Oct. 18 2000
This is my second Lyn Hamilton Lara McClintock mystery. I didn't much care for the first one, but I thought, hey, maybe she got better. Well, she got more facile. Once again the reseach is fine and the subject matter interesting. Once again the set-up is fine and the resolution flaccid. And, please, Lyn, spare us the introductory feminism. We're grownups now. It seems to me that Hamilton is writing a book about a book, keeping herself at arm's length from material that ought to be be better served. And yet... and yet, I've already bought the 3rd book in the series hoping against hope that what Lyn Hamilton's got going for her as a writer will find someplace to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior mystery, Jan. 29 1998
By A Customer
Though her antiquities store is located in Toronto, Lara McClintock is at her happiest when she travels the world, seeking priceless artifacts for her clients. Her successes have gained her renowned architect Martin Galea as her latest client. This does not turn out as well as expected since the womanizing egotist expects immediate service. His newest demand is for Lara to fly to Malta to organize his newly purchased home for a party being thrown in a few weeks.
Almost from her first step on the fog laden island, Lara feels a sense of foreboding that threatens to overwhelm her sanity. Cut brake lines and dead cats left near her front entrance make her feel that someone wants her out of the house. Furniture begins to arrive. However, one of the pieces contains Martin's corpse. Flush from a recent successful investigation of a Mexican homicide (see THE XIBALBA MURDERS), Lara begins to investigate. She is unaware that her actions could result in international repercussions.
After reading this exotically absorbing and culturally colorful archeological thriller, readers will want to fly to Malta to hear the siren's song. Lyn Hamilton is a gifted writer, who has created an intricate who-done-it wrapped inside a mystical tale that cleverly links past Goddess worship to current events. THE MALTESE GODDESS is a terrific read that would make a tremendous movie.
Harriet Klausner

Maltese Goddess An Archaelogical Mystery
Maltese Goddess An Archaelogical Mystery by Lyn Hamilton (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01