Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

• Toxin

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on December 10, 2002
From the get-go this book is an attention grabber, and Cook uses sickening imagery to hook his reader throughout. While the characters and dialogue are a bit flat, the story itself moves at a breakneck pace, following an all-too believable series of events meant to describe a worst-case scenario involving bacteria-laden meat and how the mistake of a couple of idiots can completely turn a handful of lives upside-down. I'm warning you this book is not for the weak-stomached or feint of heart. Cook's descriptions of a child succumbing to a particular strain of all-too-common bacteria and his portrait of a particularly nasty beef industry can make you physically ill. This was a book I couldn't put down and had a terrible time slowing myself down at the end so I could get all the details instead of just racing ahead to the intriguing conclusion. Thick, but a fast read. Prepare to eat vegetarian for awhile afterward.
on August 20, 2002
Cook does an excellent job of developing his characters in this book. I felt every second of Kim's struggle and I was pulling for a good outcome every step of the way. The book was so good that I finished it within two days. The plot is disturbingly feasible . . . you may never look at red meat the same again.
on November 12, 2001
With over 270 reviews on file already, my review will be kept short. For those of you who have read, "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, this is a tame version on the same topic.
on June 19, 2001
Unlike other Cook's characters I love, I didn't really like the main character from this book, Dr. Reggis. Althought, it's quite understandable. When I first bought the book, the cashier told me how it changed the way she looked at things.. don't remember exactly what she said but it was something like that. Well, very true, indeed. I have nothing major against big industries but this book's added another 'something' to my existing feelings about big industries. The book itself was excellent but somewhat frustrating because of the behavior of Dr. Kim Reggis. Another great one from Cook.
on July 26, 2000
I think Toxin is definitely one of my favorite cook books. It was action packed the whole book through and it was very suspensful.It also taught me about E.coli and the beef industry. In conclusion I think this is one of Cook's best and any Robin Cook fan should read it.
on June 17, 2000
Wow! 'Toxin' was the first medical thriller I had ever read, and I am happy to say that it won't be my last. Robin Cook has not only turned me into a fan with this book, but also into a vegetarian!
I was handed this book by my friend (who also happens to be a vet) during vacation. I had finished it after three days - it was THAT riveting and impossible to put down. Cook really delves into the truths about meat processing in the US, and what can go wrong.
After the E-coli breakout in my home town of Atlanta a couple years ago (during which several children died), this story really kicked me in the pants. Cook draws the reader in, and never lets up until all the secrets are out.
If you enjoy the medical field and thrillers, then I would highly suggest this book. Although the ending is a little strange, it was still believable, and did not change my opinion of the story or the author.
on February 2, 2000
This is by far the best thriller written by Robin cook.The characters seem believable and the way the story line is build up is very interesting.Robin cook takes so much time to build each character that you get involved with each of them.The only complaint is the abrupt ending of the book.For almost 480 pages the protoganist takes great pains to establish evidence and suddenly within the next 6 pages the novel is wound up.This is the only drawback as to otherwise an exciting medical thriller.
on January 5, 2000
OK, I admit, this book was pretty gross, but to give up eating meat? That's a little extreme (and if you truly love a big steak like I do, NOTHING will change your mind)! Alas, like other Cook novels, the main character is pretty predictable (friend or family member hurt, character fights the system, triumphs but doesn't get all he wants) but the story was engaging and a good page turner.
on November 13, 1999
I was really fascinated by this book, and as a vegetarian myself I couldn't avoid feeling relief. Apart from the problem of meat itself I think we are too used to consider every food as normal, but we should think how it can happen that food once so difficult to buy now is so cheap. Obviously there must be some problems, either concerning safeness or concerning suffering for people or animals. I'm not really a vegetarian (at least not yet), but I just avoid eating meat because of the suffering during life and death of animals. In any case I think we are so little natural in our way of eating so much meat, we can't avoid having some problems. Perhaps this book can make people think about this topic and I'm grateful to Robin Cook for this. Anna Laura Costa - Italy
on November 7, 1999
OK, so it's not his best book. But it was very interesting and disgusting. I can no longer eat beef of any kind. I wouldn't recommend reading this if you like to eat a thick steak or a hamburger. Trust me. I'm not the only person I know who stopped eating beef because of this book.