4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing subject matter and plotlines

Published on Nov. 8 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing subject matter and plotlines, Feb. 19 2015
Lady Sam (100 Mile House / BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Despite the mention of several murders right from the start – this story begins rather placidly. Dallas, Lieutenant Eve, is called to a particularly gruesome killing that appears down-played and surreal, with the DA offering the culprit Man 2 without so much as waiting to receive the relevant paperwork. Case closed and shut in a day. Nice! And I am sure, we have all heard of cases just like that – no wonder, J D Robb uses this in one of her Eve Dallas plots.
Something doesn’t sit well with the Lieutenant, though, especially once she and Rourke attend the reading of the dead man’s Will, which ‘showers’ the murderer with millions – and there is no law against that. Can you blame Eve for digging deeper? And then, literally, all hell breaks loose!
Nora Roberts – writing this series as J D Robb – tackles the subject of mass bombings. Those people, who kill indiscriminately because they feel short changed – be that literally in financial endeavours or more laterally because they want their 15 minutes of fame. Murder the innocent and blame whoever or whatever comes in handy.
Yet another pretty controversial subject stacked on top of the other covered in this storyline is that there is one law for the rich – who can ‘buy’ themselves the best and most unscrupulous lawyers they can possibly find – and one for the poor who have to accept whoever is assigned to their case to defend their rights, a very active and troublesome subject indeed.
J D Robb – in her usual, easy flowing writing style – once again captures the reader’s attention and interest with intrigue and plenty of ‘Red Herrings’. This is an absolutely fascinating series, not only for the subject matters and thrills where murder is concerned, but even more intricate watching a very anti social homicide Lieutenant ‘learning the ropes’, evolving into a woman who is well loved and learns to love right back. And this time round, the people she cares about are alive and not ‘resting’ in the city morgue …

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect mixture ..., Jan. 10 2007
B. Alcat (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
"Loyalty in death" is the tenth book in J. D. Robb's "In death" series, and one of the best books in it at least so far. The series, as you probably already know, is a perfect mixture of futuristic whodunnit + action + romance, and it is set in 2059, in New York City. This book can be read by itself, but you will probably enjoy it much more if you read first "Naked in death", the first book in the series, and then the others that follow it.

In "Loyalty in death" Lieutenant Eve Dallas continues to fight crime, and has to face a dangerous terrorist threat that has its roots in the past. She has the help of her dependable aide Delia Peabody (who is a little distracted due to love problems and a visiting brother), and that of her "civilian" husband, Roarke (who will help her whether she wants his help or not). Both Eve and Roarke receive taunting messages from the terrorist group, that dares Eve to stop them, and makes targets out of Roarke's properties.

The question is, will Eve be able to find and stop the terrorists before they hurt innocent people?. If you want the answer to that question, and are eager to relax while reading a good book, give "Loyalty in death" a try. You won't regret it :)

Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Another "Death" series winner..., April 23 2004
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Jd Robb's 9th entry in her "Death" series has Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke receiving threatening letters from a terrorist group. Each letter brings about a public threat/bomb that threatens civilians, property and the city.
Like all the "Death" novels, the mystery and relationship between Eve and her husband are effectively blended. There is also a subplot involving Eve's police partner, Peabody and her brother. The main plot of the terrrorist threats and the subplot advance and blend seamlessly--until the end where they are eventually connected and intertwined. Its nice to get some background on Peabody and her life--each book in the series gives us more and more information on the secondary characters.
In the wake of 9/11, I found that the plot of the book hit all too close to home, as New York was again targeted by terrorists. It was almost painful to read about the bombs and chilling when they go off and harm innocent civilians. Loyalty in Death is definately one of the better novels in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family. Loyalty. War. Terrorists., May 10 2003
JBogue (Spicewood, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
In the early dawn of the 21st century, a time of the Urban Wars, a group known as Apollo is blowing up buildings demanding an end to the corrupt government. After many ignored demonstrations of their power they finally go too far, and are systematically eliminated by the government. Fast forward to the present, 2059 and history seems to repeating itself.
Eve must stop this new terrorist group before they destroy her beloved city. Okay...I have to say that this book was written in 1999, and the eerie likeness to the events of September 11th, 2001 gave me chills. Despite the bad memories this book drags up, it is still GREAT! I finished it in under 24 hours. After the slower pace of CONSPIRACY IN DEATH, this book is like getting strapped into a roller coaster with no brakes. Wow, the action in LOYALTY IN DEATH in fast, intense and explosive!
As a bonus, this book focuses alot on Peabody. We get to meet her brother, Zeke, a free-ager visiting New York. She also continues to struggle with her love/hate relationship with McNab. Wow, that one is really heating up. Book #9, LOYALTY IN DEATH certainly does not dissappoint. It is a great, exciting addition to this series.
JBogue...Specializing in paranormal romance and fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "past" of this future is scary, Feb. 4 2002
R. Kelly Wagner "bunrab@bunrab.net" (MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
In this volume of the "in Death" series, we learn far more about the "past" of the series - their past history, still in our future. The series is set in the 2050's; however, the events of this book flow from events thirty years in their past, in the 2020's. This gives us more of an idea of why the New York of Eve Dallas' time is the way it is.
If you are new to the series, you may find it helpful to read some of the previous books as well - while each book in this series can stand alone as a police procedural/thriller, it is more fun if you can also follow the background stories of the personal lives of our characters. Eve Dallas is our police lieutenant hero, of course, and her husband Roarke (just Roarke) is his rich, enigmatic self. The interaction between Eve's sidekick/aide Peabody, and fellow cop McNab, gets tenser in this book (think elevators!). Mavis, Eve's best friend, is having success with her singing career. All of these background sub-plots are one of the fun parts of the series. It's a tradition that hangs over from police procedural series started more than 40 years ago, such as Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series, and it's nice to see Robb pay homage to that great tradition.
The plot of this particular volume involves a terrorist group destroying New York landmarks, a theme that will perhaps resonate even more with readers now (I write this review in Jan 2002) than it did when the book was first published. It is poignantly sad to see that on the list of proposed targets is the Twin Towers - I had to shake my head and say, sorry, the terrorists didn't wait that long... The final target, and the culmination of the book, will keep you awake and reading. And who the terrorists are will make you think, about how such things carry on through the generations, and contemplate how we could go about trying to break that cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Jan. 22 2002
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
"Loyalty in Death" by J.D. Robb finds our tough-as-nails heroine, Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD, pitted against a group of terrorists. This enigmatic group, known only as Cassandra, has no clear motive for the death and destruction they are causing. Indeed, it is simply the thrill of murdering the innocent and the fun of senseless destruction of property that they thrive on.
So Eve, with a little help along the way from her handsome and brilliant husband Roarke, sets about finding the trail that will lead to these murdering terrorists. She uncovers a connection to a mystery that began decades before and begins putting together the pieces. But when the threats from Cassandra get a little too personal, Eve shows her true grit by putting her life on the line to save those she loves!
I really can't say enough good things about this book. The mystery is thrilling and fun, and puts a fresh spin on what could have been a rather mundane topic. Eve and Roarke's relationship is as satisfying as ever in this instalment, and is still full of heart-pounding passion and exquisite tenderness. I have become so attached to Eve, Roarke and company that I feel like they are old friends - which makes picking up each new book that much better. I fly through each of Robb's books in record time, simply because I can't put them down.
"Loyalty in Death" is a first-rate romantic suspense novel, in a series that is sure to impress. One word of warning though - don't start reading these books if you can't afford to buy all 13 of them, because once you read one, you have to read them all! Robb's "In Death" series is absolutely irresistible - with it's vivid and lovable characters, fascinating futuristic setting, and ever-entertaining storylines - you just can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars An exquisite love story and a cracking good mystery., Feb. 12 2000
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
The "In Death" series is very nearly perfect - I've seen reviews from readers who say the plots are not realistic - I have enough reality in my life - that's why I read romantic mysteries. The dialogue between Eve and Roarke is marvelous, as it is between McNab and Peabody, and I adore the fact that Summerset cuddles Galahad when neither thinks anyone is watching. The love scenes between Eve and Roarke are exquisite - graphic enough to be exciting but never slipping over the line to distasteful. Roarke, of course, is everything most of us want in a man, and he adores his Darling Eve who is tough, smart and totally at sea as to why this man should love her so desperately. All the characters are developing at their own delightful pace. I have read this whole series to tatters. When I receive a new J. D. Robb, I gulp it down in one sitting, then go back immediately and reread every word. I have no idea where Ms. Robb will take us next, but I know I'm going to enjoy the journey and I can hardly wait for it to begin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unreal, what a gal., Nov. 29 1999
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this to be a very enjoyable book to read. If you want to read a book that goes straight to your heart, read Stolen Moments by Barbara Jeanne Fisher. . .It is a beautiful story of unrequited love. . .for certain the love story of the nineties. I intended to give the book a quick read, but I got so caught up in the story that I couldn't put the book down. From the very beginning, I was fully caught up in the heart-wrenching account of Julie Hunter's battle with lupus and her growing love for Don Lipton. This love, in the face of Julie's impending death, makes for a story that covers the range of human emotions. The touches of humor are great, too, they add some nice contrast and lighten things a bit when emotions are running high. I've never read a book more deserving of being published. It has rare depth. Julie's story will remind your readers that life and love are precious and not to be taken for granted. It has had an impact on me, and for that I'm grateful. Stolen Moments is written with so much sensitivity that it made me want to cry. It is a spellbinder. What terrific writing. Barbara does have an exceptional gift! This book was edited by Lupus specialist Dr. Matt Morrow too, and has the latest information on that disease. ..A perfect gift for someone who started college late in life, fell in love too late in life, is living with any illness, or trying to understand a loved one who is. . .A gift to be cherished forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD BOOK, Nov. 8 1999
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I liked the book and found it easy to read, but I think the author could have made the same points without the use of such colorful language. I thought, too, the love realationship should have been accentuated a bit more, but all on all it was good reading. If you liked this book, or want to read one that goes straight to your heart, read Stolen Moments by Barbara Jeanne Fisher. . .It is a beautiful story of unrequited love. . .for certain the love story of the nineties. I intended to give the book a quick read, but I got so caught up in the story that I couldn't put the book down. From the very beginning, I was fully caught up in the heart-wrenching account of Julie Hunter's battle with lupus and her growing love for Don Lipton. This love, in the face of Julie's impending death, makes for a story that covers the range of human emotions. The touches of humor are great, too, they add some nice contrast and lighten things a bit when emotions are running high. I've never read a book more deserving of being published. It has rare depth. Julie's story will remind your readers that life and love are precious and not to be taken for granted. It has had an impact on me, and for that I'm grateful. Stolen Moments is written with so much sensitivity that it made me want to cry. It is a spellbinder. What terrific writing. Barbara does have an exceptional gift! This book was edited by Lupus specialist Dr. Matt Morrow too, and has the latest information on that disease. ..A perfect gift for someone who started college late in life, fell in love too late in life, is living with any illness, or trying to understand a loved one who is. . .A Christmas gift to be cherished forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the read, Oct. 28 1999
Sarah "sssspro" (North East, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loyalty in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't know how Nora Roberts (a.k.a JD Robb) does it (especially so quickly), but she keeps cranking out great stories (at least in this series). The "in Death" series has been great fun to read and each book I look forward to getting to know the characters a little better. Although I felt the last few books were not her best effort, I thought that Loyalty in Death was one of the better ones that Ms. Roberts has written in this series. We have so many characters at this point that it's like coming home to another family when I pick up the books. She went back to the basics, to the relationhips between the characters, as well as giving us a decent plot (though I figured this one out way too early). Dallas, Roarke, Peabody, McNab, Mavis, Sommerset, Dr. Mira, Freeney, Whitney, Nadine, and anyone else who I might have forgotten were all there. I got some pretty weird looks from my husband when I laughed about Dallas's patrol car. But I just couldn't help it, chuckles, suspense, love, and of course, death, what more could you want in a book? A small caveat, I don't recommend this book if you haven't read the others in the series. I think you would be lost in a lot of the by-play that happens, but by all means, go back and read the others first and then read this one, its worth the effort.

Loyalty in Death
Loyalty in Death by Nora Roberts (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1999)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.09