Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on February 19, 2015
Despite the mention of several murders right from the start – this story begins rather placidly. Dallas, Lieutenant Eve, is called to a particularly gruesome killing that appears down-played and surreal, with the DA offering the culprit Man 2 without so much as waiting to receive the relevant paperwork. Case closed and shut in a day. Nice! And I am sure, we have all heard of cases just like that – no wonder, J D Robb uses this in one of her Eve Dallas plots.
Something doesn’t sit well with the Lieutenant, though, especially once she and Rourke attend the reading of the dead man’s Will, which ‘showers’ the murderer with millions – and there is no law against that. Can you blame Eve for digging deeper? And then, literally, all hell breaks loose!
Nora Roberts – writing this series as J D Robb – tackles the subject of mass bombings. Those people, who kill indiscriminately because they feel short changed – be that literally in financial endeavours or more laterally because they want their 15 minutes of fame. Murder the innocent and blame whoever or whatever comes in handy.
Yet another pretty controversial subject stacked on top of the other covered in this storyline is that there is one law for the rich – who can ‘buy’ themselves the best and most unscrupulous lawyers they can possibly find – and one for the poor who have to accept whoever is assigned to their case to defend their rights, a very active and troublesome subject indeed.
J D Robb – in her usual, easy flowing writing style – once again captures the reader’s attention and interest with intrigue and plenty of ‘Red Herrings’. This is an absolutely fascinating series, not only for the subject matters and thrills where murder is concerned, but even more intricate watching a very anti social homicide Lieutenant ‘learning the ropes’, evolving into a woman who is well loved and learns to love right back. And this time round, the people she cares about are alive and not ‘resting’ in the city morgue …
on January 10, 2007
"Loyalty in death" is the tenth book in J. D. Robb's "In death" series, and one of the best books in it at least so far. The series, as you probably already know, is a perfect mixture of futuristic whodunnit + action + romance, and it is set in 2059, in New York City. This book can be read by itself, but you will probably enjoy it much more if you read first "Naked in death", the first book in the series, and then the others that follow it.

In "Loyalty in death" Lieutenant Eve Dallas continues to fight crime, and has to face a dangerous terrorist threat that has its roots in the past. She has the help of her dependable aide Delia Peabody (who is a little distracted due to love problems and a visiting brother), and that of her "civilian" husband, Roarke (who will help her whether she wants his help or not). Both Eve and Roarke receive taunting messages from the terrorist group, that dares Eve to stop them, and makes targets out of Roarke's properties.

The question is, will Eve be able to find and stop the terrorists before they hurt innocent people?. If you want the answer to that question, and are eager to relax while reading a good book, give "Loyalty in death" a try. You won't regret it :)

Belen Alcat
on November 29, 1999
I found this to be a very enjoyable book to read. If you want to read a book that goes straight to your heart, read Stolen Moments by Barbara Jeanne Fisher. . .It is a beautiful story of unrequited love. . .for certain the love story of the nineties. I intended to give the book a quick read, but I got so caught up in the story that I couldn't put the book down. From the very beginning, I was fully caught up in the heart-wrenching account of Julie Hunter's battle with lupus and her growing love for Don Lipton. This love, in the face of Julie's impending death, makes for a story that covers the range of human emotions. The touches of humor are great, too, they add some nice contrast and lighten things a bit when emotions are running high. I've never read a book more deserving of being published. It has rare depth. Julie's story will remind your readers that life and love are precious and not to be taken for granted. It has had an impact on me, and for that I'm grateful. Stolen Moments is written with so much sensitivity that it made me want to cry. It is a spellbinder. What terrific writing. Barbara does have an exceptional gift! This book was edited by Lupus specialist Dr. Matt Morrow too, and has the latest information on that disease. ..A perfect gift for someone who started college late in life, fell in love too late in life, is living with any illness, or trying to understand a loved one who is. . .A gift to be cherished forever.
on October 28, 1999
I don't know how Nora Roberts (a.k.a JD Robb) does it (especially so quickly), but she keeps cranking out great stories (at least in this series). The "in Death" series has been great fun to read and each book I look forward to getting to know the characters a little better. Although I felt the last few books were not her best effort, I thought that Loyalty in Death was one of the better ones that Ms. Roberts has written in this series. We have so many characters at this point that it's like coming home to another family when I pick up the books. She went back to the basics, to the relationhips between the characters, as well as giving us a decent plot (though I figured this one out way too early). Dallas, Roarke, Peabody, McNab, Mavis, Sommerset, Dr. Mira, Freeney, Whitney, Nadine, and anyone else who I might have forgotten were all there. I got some pretty weird looks from my husband when I laughed about Dallas's patrol car. But I just couldn't help it, chuckles, suspense, love, and of course, death, what more could you want in a book? A small caveat, I don't recommend this book if you haven't read the others in the series. I think you would be lost in a lot of the by-play that happens, but by all means, go back and read the others first and then read this one, its worth the effort.
on October 20, 1999
These books were recommended to me by a writing tutor and they are an excellent example of futuristic crime and romance. So far, I have enjoyed every one of them. I did feel, however, that Loyalty wasn't as good as the others. Roarke, for once, annoyed me with his constant interference in the investigation and Eve gave in to his arrogance time and time again. He should have respected her wishes in some aspects. As usual, the perpertrator was well-hidden and the addition of a wild and loose Peabody was great! 'bout time, too! I enjoyed the humour in it too, but I was less than satisfied with the sudden ending. I would have like to have seen the tension build with a bit about the other sites being checked rather than the sudden rush to the actual place of confrontation. I can't see how J.D. Robb can stop writing after the little tid-bit about Eve's parents - that this is the last book would be cruel and unusual punishment! So, I look forward to more, but like everybody else, I have to wait patiently, *sigh*.
on October 23, 1999
CONSPIRACY IN DEATH featured the obligatory story about a detective in a fight to keep her badge; LOYALTY IN DEATH features the obligatory visit to the Statue of Liberty for novels set in New York City. What's next? Will one of her faithful sidekicks (Peabody, Feeney, McNab) go rogue on Eve? Will she start to suspect that Roarke is having an affair? Will Summerset be the one who does it?
That said, LOYALTY IN DEATH was certainly a wonderful read. It was tight and suspenseful and for once I didn't predict the ending before Ms. Robb revealed it. Please keep writing the IN DEATH series, J. D.; just don't follow the formula too closely. Unpredictability is fun! (And before you retire Eve -- which unfortunately has to happen some day -- please let us see her and Roarke with children! I'd love to see rough, tough Eve pregnant.)
on November 5, 1999
I like this series, although it's totally predictable. You know Eve will work at home, you know Roarke will do mysterious things on his computers and get her the answers she needs, you know there will be a near-death episode at the end, etc. Nonetheless the characters are endearing in their own way, the plots interesting. This book was more of the same, following exactly the same formula, but somehow that was OK.
on October 31, 1999
I really enjoyed this book. I hope, however, that in the next installment Ms. Roberts concentrates a bit more on character relationships. Also I don't know if I am on target or not but it seems to me that Eve will be pregnant in the next book or the one after that. I am looking forward to this, I would love to see how Eve and Roarke cope with becoming parents.
on October 12, 1999
J.D. Robb does it again, keeping the mystery and the characters exciting and unusual. Eve Dallas is a unique heroine and even Peabody gets some romantic action this time. The plot is different but not so far out it's incomprehensable. I enjoy the future setting and the little details are exact. One of the better ones in this series.
on October 29, 1999