5.0 out of 5 stars A Riveting Read!
"Judgement in Death" is the 11th book in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series, and it is fabulous. The mystery is thrilling and expertly woven - it grips you from page one and immerses you in murder and mayhem and the quest for justice.
Published on Jan. 25 2002 by Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best 'in death' book
Published on Oct. 28 2000 by Jeri Sickels

4.0 out of 5 stars eware: the "In death" series is addictive!, Jan. 9 2007
M. B. Alcat "Curiosity killed the cat, but sa... (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
"Murder was rarely a tidy business. Whether it was craftily calculated or wildly impulsive, it tended to leave a mess for others to clean up". Eve's job is to do exactly that. As a Lieutenant of the NYPD, she stands for the dead, and seeks justice for them.

In "Judgment in death", the 12th book in J. D. Robb's futuristic "In Death" series, the victim is another cop, Taj Kohli. He was killed while working undercover in an exclusive nightclub, that casually belongs to no other than Eve's husband, Roarke. Matters complicate further when it appears than a shady and powerful character, Max Ricker, is somehow involved in detective Kohli's death. Ricker is a former associate of Roarke that nurses a grudge against him, and wants to make Roarke pay for deciding to go solo a long time ago. As if that weren't enough, Eve's investigation uncovers police corruption, and she has to decide who is to be trusted.

I think you are likely to appreciate the fact that recurring characters of the series appear in "Judgment in death" too. I strongly advise you read these books in order, so that you will have the opportunity of getting to know the characters slowly, and of watching them grow. Of course, my favourite interactions are those between Eve and Roarke, but there are plenty of other interesting characters, like Peabody, McNab, Captain Feeney and Doctor Mira. We even have a cop from Internal Affairs with a very big crush on Eve, something that Roarke will not take well :)

All in all, I really liked this book. The reasons for that are many: it has lots of action, a good plot and plenty of interesting characters. Due to all that, I recommend "Judgment in death" to you. Beware, though: the "In death" series is addictive!!

Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars A Riveting Read!, Jan. 25 2002
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD is back on the job in the early months of 2059. She is searching for a cop killer, who brutally beat his victim to death in a club called Purgatory. The excessive violence of the crime and the loss of a fellow officer send Eve into overdrive. She turns up some dark secrets and confusing information related to her victim and discovers a connection to an Internal Affairs investigation. Eve knows someone isn't telling her the whole truth, but she has a cop killer to catch, so it's up to out favourite, feisty Lieutenant to put the pieces together on her own and bring justice to the dead.
Eve is a complex and emotionally troubled woman, whose determination and compassion will win readers' hearts. Her handsome husband Roarke is a perfect match for her. Indeed, Eve and Roarke continue to compel me to read about them. In this instalment they have some serious bumps in their marriage, and the problems they have come from loving each other too much. It is truly refreshing to read about two people who are as completely lost in each other as Eve and Roarke. Their love scenes vary from hot, hot passion to heart-breaking tenderness, but they always leave the reader satisfied.
It's hard to explain how much I enjoy this series, or what the characters have come to mean to me - so you'll just have to read each and every book and see for yourself. "Judgement in Death" is a skilfully rendered romantic suspense novel, full of vivid and fascinating characters you can't help but love. I guarantee you will enjoy this book immensely, so read it today!

4.0 out of 5 stars My judgment of Judgment, April 14 2001
Amazon Customer "jawill" (Waycross, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
The theme in this book is police corruption. This is my second "In Death book" by Robb and just as in Witness in Death, the scene of the crime in this book has a connection to Roarke. He is the husband of feisty cop Eve Dallas who is the chief investigator in the case. The first brutal crime was committed at Roarke's night club with the apt name of Purgatory. It is apt because the killer seems to be like an avenging angel of death using the religious symbol of 30 pieces of silver as his calling card.
But the killer seems to be just a puppet. Dallas has to find both the puppet and the puppeteer. To complicate matters for Eve, there is a link between Roarke and the "puppeteer".
As usual there are passionate sex scenes with Roarke and Eve. They seem more like competitions to see who will submit totally to whom. Roarke is portrayed as proud, jealous and protective of Eve to the point of interfering with her job duties. Eve is still the tough cop but there is reference to her vulnerability related to her sexual abuse/incest experience which readers of other "In Death" series will be aware of. We see another area of vulnerability in this book, she is afraid of flying in the futuristic transport medium: an Air/Land Streamer.
I enjoyed reading this book my only citicism is that the identification of the killer was sudden. I wondered if I had missed a couple of pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet!, April 13 2001
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
This latest in the "...in Death" series from J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts) each story in this series gets better and better. The story begins when a murder is committed in a high-class strip club. The victim is an off-duty detective who was working part time as a bartender in the club.
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is on the case and she isn't becoming popular with her fellow cops during the investigation. In this book J. D. Robb has given Roarke, Eve and the other recurring cast of characters (McNab, Peabody, Dr. Mira, Mavis and Summerset) a bit more of a sense of humor. Some of the lines are LOLer's, which I never expect in a J. D. Robb book.
The strategy used in the book of finding the killer is riveting. There's a really nasty villain that all readers will love to hate and, of course, Eve and Roarke's relationship just keeps getting better and better. Eve is developing as a character with more depth, softness and humor. Of course, we wouldn't want Eve to get too soft since kicking butt is what she is all about.
A great read and a terrific addition to this remarkable and entertaining series.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best 'in death' book, Oct. 28 2000
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I was, frankly, somewhat disappointed in this latest installment of the 'in death' series. I have, for over ten years, found Roberts to be one of the most talented writers in the romance or any other genre. She does a lot of series with recurrant characters, and seldom repeats herself or backtracks herself. In this installment, though, I feel that Roberts is inconsistant with the writing of Roarke, the male lead. He is not the smooth, supportive man we have gotten to know. There is one scene where Roarke is angry with Eve, and locks her out of his office. This is a complete reversal of a previous installment, where Roarke makes a point of telling Eve that she can close the door between their offices, but that it will never be locked. In general, the sense of love with the characters was not as intense as with previous installments.
The supporting characters, Feeney, Peabody and company are true and riviting as usual. By the way...don't you just love the 'Chief Tibble' character?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse and worse..., Oct. 20 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
The only reason I started reading these books is because my friend said they were easy reading and a break from all the heavy stuff. And indeed they were. The problem is that the author has made one major mistake which seems to have infatuated the whole of the population. That mistake (in my eyes) is called Roarke. For starters what a terribly unromantic name. Roarke. Secondly, don't you find it a little convenient that the first time Eve comes across Roarke leads to lots of sex and eventually marriage and after that he is somehow involved in every single one of her cases? Thirdly, Roarke is the most unrealistic character I have ever met. He is 'perfect' in appearance, owns half the world (and some others) and is the most arrogant, possessive chauvinistic pig ever created. It is so unlikely that one: anyone is like that and two: that any independent woman would put up with a husband who beats up an ex-boyfriend for holding her by her arms. Personally, I would prefer my husband to leave me to deal with stuff like that. The storylines are never that bad, though they all end pretty much the same and Judgement In Death holds some nice twists. It's just a shame J.D. Robb left out the best character: Charles Monroe. He has such an interesting storyline and such an undeveloped character even though there are so many possibilties. Personally, I would like Eve to realise Roarke is a cardboard cut out of perfection which no-one wants and to run off with Charles. And another thing: why does everyone conveniently forget that Roarke has killed several people and can in fact be deemed, therefore, a serial killer? So they probably deserved it, but that is not the point. I would never be involved with someone who had managed to take 6 (?) people's lives in such horrific ways to cause such intentional pain. And, again, convenient that the characters all have mucked up childhoods. Just makes them more intersting now, but what is the likelihood of such a group of people meeting up and finding all were abused/raped/adopted/abandoned whatever? very unlikely.
In conclusion, this book is enjoyable to read in the parts that actaully focus on the case. Whenever Roarke comes in I suddenly feel like taking a break. In my opinion there should be less emphasis on Eve and Roarke's relationship (and sex - boring after several chapters of it) and more on the other characters (including everyone's favourite licensed companion) and the crime storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a tad disappointing, Oct. 13 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't get me wrong, I love this series and all its characters, Eve, Roarke, Peabody, Mavis and all the rest. I bought this the day it came out and then held onto it for a month before reading it so it wouldn't be over and gone too soon. I thought it started out very strong, but got somewhat weaker as it progressed. The climactic scene between Roarke and his enemy lacked something, ending with a whimper, not a bang. The evil Ricker didn't pack as much of a wallop as I would have liked. And much as I love Eve and Roarke and their relationship, I found their banter just a little too predictable this time.
I always re-read books I love, but I usually set them aside for a couple of years or more, so that when I reread them, I'll have the pleasure of really rediscovering them. With the "In Death" series, which I discovered less than a year ago, I find myself going back and rereading them already, especially my favorite, "Naked in Death" (the first). It's a great series, and I love seeing a romance that doesn't end when the couple figures out they love each other, but continues with them figuring out how to live with each other, an aspect of the books which is clearly a strength. Another strength in "Judgment" is that the mystery is a little more coherent and believable. I'll definitely look eagerly forward to the next one and hope that one is definitely five-star.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER WINNER FROM JD ROBB, Sept. 18 2000
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I am constantly amazed at this quality series produced by JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts). The story is unique, witty & hooks you after the 1st page! This series is a shining example of a fantastic and unique story that should never end!!!
This edition of Lt. Eve Dallas does not disappoint the "In Death" fans! In my humble opinion its probably one of the best in the series (the original Naked in Death being the best).
WOW - there is a lot of steamy action between Eve & Roarke (again) but the story has a great plot, in depth characters & great interaction between them.
Eve has to track a killer that ultimately leads her into the seedy underworld. She has a series of murders to solve; corruption and deceit continue to impede her investigation which ultimately touches her life with Roarke. They both have to deal with their past & present. I cannot say more without giving the plot/story line away....
The book is not only suspenseful, but sexy and humorous. I find myself laughing out loud at the antics of Peabody and McNab (again). The best & funniest line is from Dr. Charlotta Mira (about halfway in the book Eve has a "talk" with Dr Mira about Roarke) -- you'll know it when you read it...
I read the book in 2 days! and will re-read it many times more... its definitely another one for my collection.
I just don't think I can hold out another 12 months for the next "In Death" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Felt like an "Old Time" Eve Dallas book, Sept. 18 2000
J. Stern "Miss Teacher Lady" (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Let me start off first, I love this series.
This book brought back all the intrigue and thrills of the early Eve Dallas novels. It was not bogged down with numerous sub-plots involving the secondary characters (whom I enjoy reading about very much, but sometimes their tales detract from the mystery.) The plot did not center around some crazed genious intent on blowing New York to kingdom-come.
This book was about murder, betrayal, and loyalties. I thought it was a brilliant read. Every page kept my attention. The little teases Ms. Robb/Roberts gives us about future story lines are wonderful. Another small fraction of Eve's past is revealed - just enough to keep us nibbling about her history.
As hard as it is, I will try not to ruin the plot. In a word, this book was excellent.
If you like supernatural crime/thrillers, I highly recommend the Jack Fleming Vampire Files by P. N. Elrod, and the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton.
I can hardly wait to get my hands and eyes on the next Eve Dallas book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Done too SOON!!!, Sept. 14 2000
This review is from: Judgment in Death (Mass Market Paperback)
JD/Nora no split personality here. As usual, the whole gang is back. BUT with even more interesting interactions and expanding of the people we know and love. I wish we could have a little more Mavis time. I always enjoy her POV. She is NEVER the flake she might seem. I liked the dynamic of the conflict with Eve and Roark. It was very true to life, even more so for two people so passionately and deeply in love.
The true villain this time is a piece of work. Truly evil. The two story lines as well as keeping up with all the characters was fun, fun, fun.
I am always amazed by how little dialog can convey deep emotion and feeling. Just ordinary words. BUT in the right places they blow you away. I even waited until the END to read the end. Usually not my habit. I wanted to know if my guess was right. I was glad to see that we are still trying to settle her past stuff.
Now I am going back to read it again to pick up all the details. ONE detail I noticed, but may have missed was identifying one of the criminals! Make sure to make the time to read it through. I never seem to be able to sip through the books. It is ALWAYS a chug-a-lug!

Judgment in Death
Judgment in Death by Nora Roberts (Mass Market Paperback - April 6 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54