Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on October 28, 2000
I was, frankly, somewhat disappointed in this latest installment of the 'in death' series. I have, for over ten years, found Roberts to be one of the most talented writers in the romance or any other genre. She does a lot of series with recurrant characters, and seldom repeats herself or backtracks herself. In this installment, though, I feel that Roberts is inconsistant with the writing of Roarke, the male lead. He is not the smooth, supportive man we have gotten to know. There is one scene where Roarke is angry with Eve, and locks her out of his office. This is a complete reversal of a previous installment, where Roarke makes a point of telling Eve that she can close the door between their offices, but that it will never be locked. In general, the sense of love with the characters was not as intense as with previous installments.
The supporting characters, Feeney, Peabody and company are true and riviting as usual. By the way...don't you just love the 'Chief Tibble' character?
on October 17, 2000
It took me almost half the book to really get into the story. I found it far too similar to previous stories in the series. Once again, Roarke is connected to the murder site, the murder weapon, the murderer, or some combination thereof. Once again, his past is an issue - one that is conveniently troublesome and yet handily overlooked to the benefit of resolving the case. The characters are still entertaining at times, but getting a bit flat. And Roarke's display of jealousy/rage did nothing for me. Jealousy is fine, but beating someone up - especially when he knew the advance was unwelcome and would be taken care of properly by Eve - seemed over-the-top and gratuitous. As for the murder mystery itself, I wasn't overly caught up in it. I'll definitely pick up the next book, but my enthusiasm for the series is waning unless something unexpected and Different begins to occur.
on September 12, 2000
I found the latest In Death book slightly disappointing. The mystery was interesting, but the lives of the characters remained static. Even the dialog, funny at times, seemed a bit stale.
There was no progress in their relationships. Eve and Roarke have a fight, and the making-up covers more than half of the personal aspect of the book, but it wasn't anything new. Peabody and McNab make NO progress at all.
As for Eve's past, the one new developement came late in the book and seemed tossed in as an afterthought. Coming on the heels of Witness, which was brilliant and satisfying on all levels, I would have to say that Judgement, which will have to hold me for at least six months, was a let-down.
on September 20, 2000
I have loved JD Robb's "In Death" series and waited impatiently for this new addition. While I enjoyed it, especially the tension between Eve and Rourke and the evil character of Riker, I was disappointed overall. Once into the book, I thought that either Eve or Rourke would be captured by Riker who would try to compromise them in some diabolical way. I thought it was a bit flat and that McNab and She-Body were virtually ignored. I do agree with a review listed above that the dialogue between Eve and Dr. Mira was priceless and that Mavis's character has evolved nicely.
In a movie, wouldn't Jamie Lee Curtis be a great Eve and John Stamos a credible Rourke?
on September 24, 2000
I have read every book in the In Death series and this one was a disapointment. While there are still some interesting scenes( particularly the one between Eve and Dr.Mira) The book never seems to go any where. Perhaps it is time for J.D Robb to start delving into her character's past because their presents are growing stale. I would however reccomend this book to anyone who is a regular reader of the series but if this is to be your first novel I would instead read one of her first ones.
on October 6, 2000
This was a disappointing continuation of the In Death series. The characters seemed flat and the sizzle between Roarke and Eve just wasn't there. While others found the scene with Mira amusing, I thought it was a bit out of character. I had eagerly anticipated this book and will still read the next in the series, but certainly hope for better in the future.