Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on October 11, 1999
Six days remain to the marriage of Pecan Springs herbalist China Bayles and the interim police chief Mike McQuaid. The tearoom being built by China and her friend will host the reception. Time is already tight for China when someone murders loathsome Edgar Coleman. Mike heads the investigation.

Though both are fully occupied, China plans to go ahead with the wedding even though Mike has no time to pick up the license. Instead China and her friends decide to move the case forward with their own brand of sleuthing. They quickly learn that the victim was attempting to bribe members of the city council to vote for his position on a crucial issue. They also find out that Edgar was involved with three extra- marital affairs. When Edgar's wife is killed, China turns hyperactive to solve the case before she walks down the aisle.

Amateur sleuth fans who enjoy the China Bayles mystery series, will take immense pleasure from the newest entry, LAVENDER LIES. The continuity of characters from previous tales make for an intimacy between China and Mike, and their fans while allowing new readers to gain a feel for the characters. The race between solving the murder mystery and the marriage ceremony makes this plot seem even more endearing. The numerous suspects have motives, means, and opportunities to commit the act, making it more difficult for expert problem solvers to determine the identity of the killer. Susan Wittig Albert proves her talent by providing an entertaining novel that adds to the aura of a wonderful series.

Harriet Klausner
on June 3, 2001
This is my first China Bayles mystery and I'm hopelessly hooked! China has my dream life: the herb shop, Thyme and Season; the tea room, Thyme for Tea; the sideline job of writing a gardening column for the local newspaper; not to mention the young hunk, Mike McQuaid!!! I think I better go back to the beginning, though, and work my way through the entire series. I love the herbal lore and recipes that begin each chapter as I have my own herb gardens. I didn't think China and McQuaid would EVER make it to the alter, but thankfully, they did in spite of murder, mayhem and a hurricane! Ms. Albert is a primo mystery writer and kept me guessing right up to the end. China's friends, Ruby, Smart Cookie, The Whiz, et al are icing on the cake of the plot, especially Ruby with her new age shop and flamboyant outfits. I highly recommend this book, especially if you're into herbs and love a good, fast-paced, well-written mystery!
on May 10, 2002
LAVENDER LIES is about the eighth China Bayles novel. Albert is SUCH a good writer, her books are a true pleasure to read -- and hard to put down. This one may be the most fun so far, as the wacky women work together to solve the multi-layered mystery while China and McQuaid prepare for their possibly doomed wedding. I look forward to my visits to Pecan Springs, Texas. And I appreciate her little herb-related quotes, myths, and recipes. I've never actually made anything from a recipe in these books, but I must say Ruby's Lemonade with Lavender and Rosemary sounds like heaven on earth. And what my objection was in the last book was that McQuaid did all the work and called all the shots -- this time the very competent ladies -- with China back in charge -- do it all. And it's a lot of fun.
on August 12, 2014
If I'd been in China's place, I'd have kidnapped McQuade and just eloped. No bride should have to deal with half a million punchbowls and a hurricane in the same week -- let alone a murder and an obnoxious Texas Ranger. Another brilliant balance of brains, heart, and humor. I'd somehow missed this story (probably due to my own marriage and long-distance move) and it was fun to get comfortable with such an enjoyable bit of backstory. This series is so good--I always look forward to the next.
on October 23, 1999
I've read all the books in this series and I have to say this is a huge improvement over the last two (Chile Death and Love Lies Bleeding). This book was nicely weaved together and the plot didn't seem forced. You could truely understand why someone would want to kill the guy who got killed. Although this book takes place just a few days before the wedding, it focuses more on the murder and it's investigation than on the wedding and relationships amoung the townspeople. Great JOB!
on November 19, 2000
I've read all of the books in this series (except Mistletoe Man) and they have all been GREAT, but this one is the best yet! It was a fast, entertaining read. I looked forward each day to the time I could spend reading it. Her characters are unique and lively with a setting that makes you want to pack up and move there. I throughly enjoyed it!!!