4.0 out of 5 stars On December 10, 1939, a Chinese army of 3,000 vanished...
Published 5 days ago by Arvind Y

2.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Made A Great Short Story
I bought Phantoms years ago (When the movie came out), and I've just gotten around to reading it now...I'm glad I waited.
In the years since Phantoms was released theatrically, I've read a few Koontz books, and haven't really cared for any of them. I thought Phantoms would be more my cup of tea, but......
Phantoms tells the story of Snowfield, California, a...
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Daniel V. Reilly

4.0 out of 5 stars On December 10, 1939, a Chinese army of 3,000 vanished..., July 17 2014
This review is from: Phantoms (Kindle Edition)
After putting off Koontz for seven years or so I was recommended this novel by a lot of friends who said it was prize-worthy. It's not that I dont like Koontz, its just that I found him to be sort of preachy and I knew that he writes about hope and faith and I knew his characters would come out of the story just fine. Phantoms was written in 1983 and it seems to be a whole different kind of story. I actually found it chilling at times, particularly scenes where certain characters would sense that they were being watched or followed in this isolated setting. A lot of research went into this book and ranged from information on science to mass disappearances. I especially liked a few of the characters, particularly Timothy Flyte. If you are going to start off with a Koontz book start with Phantoms and proceed to read some of his earlier (and best IMO) works. Other Koontz books I read and enjoyed were Watchers and Life Expectancy, which I highly recommend to thriller seekers. Phantoms is up there in terms of grittiness, horror, and mystery. I sped through this one in a few days and enjoyed the heck out of it. 4 stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Made A Great Short Story, Feb. 26 2002
Daniel V. Reilly (Upstate New York, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
Phantoms tells the story of Snowfield, California, a small ski town that becomes a small GHOST town overnight. Every single man, woman, & child either vanishes without a trace, or dies mysteriously. The town Doctor and her younger sister were away when the disaster struck, and now they find themselves, along with the local Sheriff and his men, trapped by the evil creature behind the slaughter.
All of this sounds pretty good. The problem is that Koontz mercilessly pads the story; It takes almost 300 pages to get to the Monster. After, say....200 pages of people wandering around from house to house finding dead bodies, I had already gotten the point. The stereotypical "Monster Expert" is by far the most interesting character, and he doesn't get into the town until around page 350. And after slogging through all of that, Koontz has the nerve to pop a new sub-plot into the book with a mere 20 pages left!! Enough, already! Some of the dialogue the characters spout is just ridiculous...Try saying some of it out loud for a good laugh.
On the plus side, the dialogue between "The Ancient Enemy" and the scientists, conducted via computer, was absolutely chilling; very scary stuff...too bad it's only 10 pages out of 428....Phantoms would have made a GREAT novella or short story; as it is, it seems like Koontz gets paid by the word. And Dean- could you get a new photo taken???

5.0 out of 5 stars many 2 am nights that I just couldn't put it down, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: Phantoms (Kindle Edition)
Very well planned... Great deal of mystery, thrill, chills, and cringes... Mixed with science, medical hoopa and law....Loved reading this book

4.0 out of 5 stars another great read!, Nov. 5 2013
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
I always find Koontz's books to be very familiar, yet different enough to keep my interest. This is no exception and proves hard to put down until finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It. Great Start To The New Year!, Jan. 14 2013
Koopa90 (Cape Breton, NS.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
A vibrant ski-resort town turns nightmarish when the inhabitants mysteriously seem to have vanished.
Though some are found, they are not found in the best of shape. Someone, or something lurks in the shadows of the town and come nightfall, when shadows take over, you'd wish you were as far from the beautiful town of Snowfield as possible.

This is the first Koontz novel Ive read in over 2 years.
He was the first author I ever read, when I found an interest in reading in early 2006.
The last I read was 'The Good Guy' in 2010, I got 100 pages in, then put it down. It was awful (In my opinion) was going no where. I hated it.
I moved onto the Stephen King DARK TOWER novels, a Harpo Marx biography, The Hobbit, Terry Pratchett and Bram Stokers classic DRACULA.

So like I said, after 2 years, I returned to my reading roots, with Koontz. And wow. What a great read and return to one of my favorite authors.
As a teenager I used to play alot of the Playstation games, SILENT HILL. I originally came across this book as someone on a forum mentioned how the game borrows a great deal from this book, and yes, as a fan of the games, I can definitely see that now.
Foggy mountain town. Roaring sirens. Weird sounds. That constant feeling that something is hiding around every corner. In every shadow. Waiting for the opportune moment to pounce.

This book kept me wondering from the start, right to the very end.
The characters were well written and believable. The plot was solid. It kept me well engaged and wanting to read on.
And all in all. It was a good read. I really enjoyed it. A great start to the year of 2013!

4.0 out of 5 stars The ancient enemy strikes again!, March 19 2007
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this a couple years ago and decided to read it again. I was quickly reminded why I loved it so much the first time. Koontz spins a frightening tale about two sisters Jenny and Lisa who return to Jenny's small town home, to find many people missing and many people dead. I don't want to ruin the point of the book by telling you what actually happens but just to say that it worth your time to read it. The book is fast paced, scary and visceral. The good thing is that Koontz still has the ability to write interesting characters and knows the jargon when it comes to the medical and scientific areas. Read this book if your a fan or sci-fi and horror, it's the perfect mix of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riviting and fast-paced. Better than King, July 12 2004
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was scary and fast-paced;something that King couldn't do. king never scared me with a book. he just bored me. Phantoms was the first Koontz book i've read (and so far the only) but it was great. I read it in 4 days. i couldn't put it down. I strongly reccomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, May 2 2004
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
Dr. Jenny Paige returns to her small town home of Snowfield after picking up her sister Lisa. Immidately they notice the town is quieter than normal. When they enter Jenny's home, they find the housekeeper dead with some strange affliction. Something strange is going on in Snowfield.
When they're finally able to call the sherrif of a local town into Snowfield, they find even more terrifying clues. Severed hands and severed heads. The entire town is either dead or missing.
More and more it's looking like the Devil himself has visited Snowfield. And he's still there. Playing with them like a cat plays with a mouse before he kills it.
A page-turner and not quite as horrific as it may seem. Koontz always develops his characters extraordinarily well. There's some strong human emotions and even some humor found in this book. I could barely put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars No one's around....but that doesn't mean they're alone!, April 22 2004
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
Jennifer Paige and her teenage sister Lisa have returned to Snowfield, California. They note how peaceful it is, how quiet it is. Yeah, it's a small town...but it isn't usually THIS quiet.
Then the horror begins. When Sheriff Bryce Hammond and a handful of his men get called into town, things escalate. It seems that there is something in Snowfield...something as old as time...something that is very hungry, hungry for something much greater than flesh...
Dean Koontz is, bar none, the suspense master. One of the greatest writers of all time (and I kid you not), he can get into your psyche with his elegant descriptions, harrowing plots, and realistic characters. No Koontz book has yet to fail to entertain me, and I doubt I will ever find one. "Phantoms" may not be his most celebrated book, but it is one of his best. Released with a new afterward, this novel will give you an insight into Koontz's writing...and it just might scare the hell out of you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, April 7 2004
Ryan J. Ellenberger (Conestoga, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantoms (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is very well done and will keep your eyes glued to the page at all times. Koontz sets a frightening mood which makes you feel like you are standing in the silent, seemingly abandoned town. If you are looking for a book which will make you want to read on, Phantoms is definitely what you are looking for. It's one of my favorite books ever written, and Koontz provides a frightening story to entertain.

Phantoms
Phantoms by Dean Koontz (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 5 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49