5.0 out of 5 stars Another HIT!
Published on May 7 2003 by Brian Siegel

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
Alexander's series about London magistrate John Fielding is, inexplicably, getting weaker with each passing book. It's as though he's running out of steam. This is the end of the line for me. The series was good for a while, but I'm moving on.
Published on Oct. 26 2003 by Joao

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, Oct. 26 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars About the Same as The Others, Sept. 29 2003
This review is from: Smuggler's Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Bruce Alexander's series of 18th century detective stories were sort of fun and interesting for a while there, but this is the eighth one and they're just not getting any better. Readers know from the outset who the bad guy is, so it's sort of like watching a Scooby-Doo episode and waiting for him to be unmasked. Alexander's writing is passable in a pop-fiction sort of way, but the plot is too thin and wooden and the characters too one-sided and predictable. Nothing is really happening in this series. I've read my last Alexander novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Smuggler's Moon, May 31 2003
A. Correia (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smugglers Moon (Hardcover)
Really truly love or maybe I should have said loved this series. The adding of the charectar of Clarissa has turned me
off somewhat of the series. Why Alexander tinkered with what was a great series is a bit of a mystery to me in
itself. Maybe his editor felt like the series needed a Nancy Drew touch. It doesn't. Use to couldn't wait for the
next book in the series as they are so wonderfully written and would rate all the past books a five star. Oh, I will get the next book but not with the same excitement and anticipation as I had in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another HIT!, May 7 2003
This review is from: Smuggler's Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all the books in this series and I can say that EVERYONE of the books are fantastic. This is of course no exception.The author is able to transport you back in time to England. The characters are all well written and the story line is fresh and interesting. If you enjoy historical mysteries then this is the one series you cannot miss. I look forward to the next book in the series. I only have one worry and that the author will stop writing about Jeremy and Sir John.

4.0 out of 5 stars The mystery itself..., April 4 2003
Louis M. Perdue (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smuggler's Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
...is quite cookie cutter. The solution is obvious from almost the beginning of the book and therefore, I almost rated this series entry only three stars. But, the writing is first-rate with the accuracy of the descriptions of 18th-century life. I do hope, however, that the next book in the series returns to the more complicated & sophisticated books that I have come to expect from Bruce Alexander.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Mystery, Dec 15 2002
This review is from: Smuggler's Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I love the characters in Bruce Alexander's series. I could not put this book down. It draws you in from the start, and transports you back in time to a century filled with mystery, intrigue, and suspense. It is authentic in the dialogue and vivid in imagery.
This series should be the next "MYSTERY" series on PBS.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, March 26 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Smugglers Moon (Hardcover)
I love these characters! The story, however, was less engrossing than in the authors previous books. It tended to plod along and, as mentioned in another review, it was obvious "whodunnit". I look forward to seeing Sir John, Jeremy, and Clarissa again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Additon to the Series, Feb. 2 2002
Plum9195 "plum9195" (Cumming, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smugglers Moon (Hardcover)
The "mystery" part of this book is not as strong as the previous novels, but new characters are introduced and the subject covered (smuggling) is interesting. Like a vist with old friends this addition to the Sir John Fielding series is very satisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, but somewhat unfulfilling, Jan. 23 2002
Danny Ross (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smugglers Moon (Hardcover)
I found this latest Sir John Fielding episode a little disappointing, with nary a twist nor surprise to throw or tantalize the unsuspecting reader. A fine story, to be sure, with the usual excellent descriptive narrative, but very predictable and somewhat unrewarding. Having read and savoured all the previous episodes in this series, I found my main interest in this book directed towards learning the latest about each of the characters within. They have become very familiar to me, almost like family, and I was pleased to catch up with them and their lives.
At one stage in the book, the story-teller, Jeremy Procter, asks his mentor Sir John Fielding when he first suspected he had discovered the prime perpetrator of the crime and his answer was "Almost from the very first".
Unfortunately, I think the majority of readers would answer the same (maybe minus the "almost").

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cove Did Good, Nov. 16 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Smugglers Moon (Hardcover)
This is, by far, the best historical mystery series going today. The writing is great, the mysteries are taut and the human interest(read soap opera) part is interesting without being silly. The best thing is that, at a stage when most series' start to slide, this series, as evidenced by this book, is still at the top of it's game. Alexander really makes you believe you are right their with Sir John, Jeremy and Clarissa in late 18th century England. Definitely buy this book if you like historical mysteries at all.

Smuggler's Moon
Smuggler's Moon by Bruce Alexander (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 2002)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89