5.0 out of 5 stars My 100-word book review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read - Cut too short though
Published on Jan. 17 2011 by Luke Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars My 100-word book review, May 30 2007
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
Watchers is, I'd say, the perfect example of the sort of novels Dean Koontz used to write, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It has excitement, danger, monsters, shadowy government forces, recombinant DNA, a man, a woman and a super-intelligent dog. What more could one ever want in a thriller? There is a refreshing lack of quirky humour, and an absence of eccentric names, just thrills, suspense, action. For those who are only familiar with Koontz's most recent output, I recommend Watchers. It will show you what the rest of us have been missing for the last decade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read - Cut too short though, Jan. 17 2011
Luke Harris (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
I read two Koontz books of late and was left disappointed by the abrupt ends. As always the story grabs you from the beginning and creates an understanding and closeness to the characters. Koontz even gets us to feel extremely close the the two main animal characters. However just as we get into this great story he seems to rush to the finish. In my opinion he seems to struggle to close the loose ends and end the story quickly. I don't under stand how we can have an entire chapter dedicated to describing a landscape and setting a scene but spend less then that ending the novel.

I guess what I'm saying is that the book could have been 50-75 pages longer. Closing the book -(the final battle) could have been written more suspenseful and perhaps contained a couple of surprises.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, Sept. 12 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is bad. The monster is stupid and really the book doesn't have much of a plot-at least not the type of plot that someone with an IQ in at least double figures can appreciate. Koontz doesn't know how to weave myth into his stories. Rather than coming up with good ideas, he makes tales about mutant monkeys running around attacking people in the bushes and crying about a low self-esteme.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best from a mediocre author, July 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
No matter girls and teenage boys (or right-wing religious fans) may find him likeale, in my book Koontz is one of the weakest authors around...his stories take you somewhere with some cliche-things and prey on soft spots of people-like how our corrupted culture leads to the violence...or morally upside girls and boys will make a poor world in their own...but his characters seem customised cardboards; his romanticism is silly and his dogs are yelping to get real dog-attitudes after all...this is the best and most readable book from him...but you should stop here...and perhaps try Lightning though stomach-churning sentimalism is there...not my cup of coffee. Anyway poor writing, terrible dialogues and silly characters saved by only good suspense and a frantic pace. But his most other books lack these factors so that is it.
By the way, I have never read any King book in my life but I plan to read many of him. Why? Because I watched two movies based on his books: One was Pet Sematary (the reviewer below: you should have READ the book carefully before slugging it off "a disappointed" one; you even don't know the TRUE SPELLING which plays a significant part in the movie)which was horror and I thought: A mindless horror hacker should he be, this author called king. But when my husband said that he was also the author of Shawshank Redemption I was utterly astounded and thought: No, There must be two DIFFERENT Stephen Kings. Any author penning Pet Sematary and Shawshank Redemption from the same mind should be far far away from cliche and must be really intelligent, readable and know something about people and this world. Now today I bought Carrie and even the first page seems to be better from the entire Koontz cannon.
Just my humble opinion. Everyone's taste is up to her or him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated, Hackneyed, A Tad Juvenile--Still A Great Read, July 13 2004
Orangeman "C.A.B.34" (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
As with many of Kings book's, a rereading of Watchers brings a number of Koontz cliches into sharp focus (see lady naava's review). If you are familiar with the genre and Koontz in particular, either skip this one or read some negative reviews to prepare you for some of the cheesy, too-convenient Koontz cliches. (...)
That said, this book is an incredibly effective page turner. This is as far from a slow starter as you are likely to find, and is the polar opposite of a slogging march to "disappointment-land" like Pet Cemetary. It's certainly not high culture, there are some self-serving plot devices (bordering on juvenile male fantasy--brooding loner with heart of gold rescues damsel, etc.) and the novelty of the idea of a chimera has worn off a bit (this book is pre-Discovery Channel), but as a light entertainment and stay-up-all-night page-flipper, this book is awfully effective.
If you love dogs, want a good scare (might not be as scary as it was 10+ years ago), and can stomach some of Koontz's romantic plot devices, this will probably be an all-time favorite. If not, better to skip it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch me sell this back....., July 13 2004
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
Psychic dogs, power-mad scientists, perfect wives, and middle-aged ex-special forces heroes are all trademark Koontz plot devices, and are used in abundance in this latest Koontz re-release. After reading Fear Nothing, I EAGERLY awaited listening to Watchers, but I found Watchers to be predictable and rather average. Those new to Koontz, might enjoy this book. Those who have read a few might recognize the same story he has told before. Middle-aged, emotionally underdeveloped hero who is also down on his luck accompanied by a psychic dog meets the perfect woman and saves the universe.
While I found this book started off well, I found myself bored by the hitman, the 'eyeball collecting outsider' (so far, that's four books by Koontz in which the bad guy has collected body parts), and Nora who irritated me. Sam/Travis was also another whiney hero; he whines more than a nursery full of toddlers! (It's amazing how many fictional heroes mothers die in childbirth), you'd think it was an epidemic!
Feh.2 stars. Please Koontz. Write something ELSE. If you want to use the same characters, write a /series/. Boredom on all levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUSPENSE LEADS TO AN EXPLOSIVE CONCLUSION, April 3 2004
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watchers(CD)(Unabr.) (Audio CD)
Voice performer J. Charles has read a number of books for Brilliance Audio, all of them performances of the highest caliber. Some of my personal favorites are "The Hunt For Red October," "Medusa Stone." and "Golden Buddha." Actually, the list could go on and on as Charles is one of the best, a reader whose voice is capable of conveying the full range of human emotion.
This ability comes to the fore in Dean Koontz's terrifying "Watchers" in which we meet two different life forms, mutated creatures who have gotten away from a top secret, tightly guarded laboratory. Something in the experiment went awry resulting in the creation of two polar opposites - one unimaginable evil, the other good. Both of these life forms are able to think and communicate with humans.
A newly married couple adopt the good creature that is in the form of a dog, and then the chase is on as the evil mutant seeks to destroy everything in his path.
Leave it to Koontz to open with a grabber, take you along on a suspense laced road, and then pen an explosive conclusion. Leave it to J. Charles to read it with skillful drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUSPENSE LEADS TO AN EXPLOSIVE CONCLUSION, April 3 2004
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watchers(CD)(Unabr.) (Audio CD)
- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Koontz's best book, March 13 2004
Freddy Jones (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
A man named Travis finds a dog named Einstien with almost human like intelligence, and is impressed with all of the amazing things he can do. Einstein was created to be part of a government project refered to as the "Francis Project" that consists of Einstien and a killer monster functioning as a team to help soldiers out in battle. Unfortunately, the monster develops a hatred for the dog, and it has also escaped to kill Einstein and anyone else that gets in its way. Travis takes Einstien in, and has no idea about what is coming. Around the same time, Travis meets and falls in love with a woman named Nora who is now also in danger. To make matters worse, there is a professional hitman named Vince Nasco who has been tracking Einstien himself after he learned about the Francis Project through the people he was hired to kill. With danger on all sides, Travis, Nora, and Einstien must go on the run and try to survive!
If you are a fan of Dean Koontz you have most lilkely heard of this book's reputation. Countless fans of Koontz claim that "Watchers" is his best book. This is the one time you should believe the hype, because it is his best book. "Watchers" is a suspenseful and terrifying book, that will make you an instant fan of Dean Koontz. I consider it a literary masterpiece that any fan of fiction should read. It offers a thrilling story with non-stop action and terror. Koontz's character development is at its all time best in this book. Travis and Nora, the dog Einstien, the hitman Vince Nasco, and the monster itself are all well developed and facinating. Koontz makes you fall in love with all of the characters, and this is one of the only books I have ever read, where you end up rooting for the bad guys at times.
This is definately Koontz's best book, and one of my favorite novels over all. Watchers is a complex story of love, greed, determination, friendship , and terrifying horror. It has something for everyone and the story never gets slow or boring. I have to warn you though, that some of the scenes in this book are terrifying and rather graphic. I found myself flinching at times. This book is also extremely hard to put down as well. I spent an entire day reading this book, and focused on nothing else until I finished it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, Oct. 21 2003
J R Zullo (São Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
A government experiment goes wrong: two animals escape from a laboratory. One is a highly, almost humanly intelligent golden retriever, with the usual dog sweetness and companionship; the other escapee is something like the experiments in "The island of Dr. Moreau", with a dark deathwish and incredible hate towards the intelligent dog. This monster is also very mentaly capable, and will stop to nothing until he finds his prey. Between them, two solitary people, a man and a woman, will come togheter, and their lives will change forever.
This is the a summary of Dean Koontz's "Watchers". I have only recently discovered this author's books, and "Watchers" is the second one I read from him, after the very enjoyable "Lightning". Based on Amazon.com reviews and on "Lightning", I was eagerly waiting to read "Watchers", but the final result came shorter from what I was expecting.
Although the plot is neither original nor too much believable, it could be very fun, because this is a work of fiction. If I wanted reality, I would read Stephen Ambrose - a very good author. But the way Koontz treated his book was not very interesting. The main human characters are too much alike. Other characters enter and exit the book much too fast, and when they were part of the plot, I couldn't relate to them, because of their shallowness. The contract killer, the NSA cops, the lawyer, all were uninteresting and yet important - and boring - parts in the book. This was an error. The intelligent dog, Einstein, is the best thing in the story. But there is a huge mistake in its conception. Without wanting to give anything away, if the scientists were able to work the dog's genoma and make him intelligent, why the hell weren't they able to prevent it to suffer from such a common dog's disease like cinomosis??
This is what I'm talking about. Koontz imagined a story with a high potential to be awesome, and then treated it with carelessness. And the monster, also another part of the story with good potential, only appeared when a killing was scheduled. I couldn't even dislike the monster, because, apart from the killings, it didn't do anything hateful, and his motivations never showed up.
I know I'll be thrashed by Koontz fans, but that's my opinion: this book could be much better.
Grade 6.0/10

Watchers
Watchers by Dean Koontz (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 28 2003)
CDN$ 12.50 CDN$ 11.28