5.0 out of 5 stars My 100-word book review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read - Cut too short though
Published on Jan. 17 2011 by Luke Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars My 100-word book review, May 30 2007
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
Watchers is, I'd say, the perfect example of the sort of novels Dean Koontz used to write, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It has excitement, danger, monsters, shadowy government forces, recombinant DNA, a man, a woman and a super-intelligent dog. What more could one ever want in a thriller? There is a refreshing lack of quirky humour, and an absence of eccentric names, just thrills, suspense, action. For those who are only familiar with Koontz's most recent output, I recommend Watchers. It will show you what the rest of us have been missing for the last decade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read - Cut too short though, Jan. 17 2011
Luke Harris (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
I read two Koontz books of late and was left disappointed by the abrupt ends. As always the story grabs you from the beginning and creates an understanding and closeness to the characters. Koontz even gets us to feel extremely close the the two main animal characters. However just as we get into this great story he seems to rush to the finish. In my opinion he seems to struggle to close the loose ends and end the story quickly. I don't under stand how we can have an entire chapter dedicated to describing a landscape and setting a scene but spend less then that ending the novel.

I guess what I'm saying is that the book could have been 50-75 pages longer. Closing the book -(the final battle) could have been written more suspenseful and perhaps contained a couple of surprises.

1.0 out of 5 stars B-Movie Book, Jan. 4 2003
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, I am astounded at the five-star ratings for this novel. It was like reading a screenplay for a made-for-TV movie for the USA Network. I could expand on my criticism for the book, but its taken up enough of my time already. No point in letting it waste more. Readers, be warned: Not everybody found "Watchers" to be a five-star read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, Sept. 12 2001
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is bad. The monster is stupid and really the book doesn't have much of a plot-at least not the type of plot that someone with an IQ in at least double figures can appreciate. Koontz doesn't know how to weave myth into his stories. Rather than coming up with good ideas, he makes tales about mutant monkeys running around attacking people in the bushes and crying about a low self-esteme.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, Could Have Been Much More, April 10 2014
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting premise, with the promise for plenty of intrigue and mystery. I felt the second half of the book didn't deliver on the build-up, relying on character development of the protagonists. Still, a nice read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, April 3 2014
Lisa E (Squamish, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
I loved the story, the characters, the interesting twists. I couldn't put the book down! If you are a dog lover it is an extra bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've ever Read, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read a lot of books and this by far is the best I've ever read. I got caught within the first 6 pages. I hope I can find another book like this again someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me back, July 10 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
I had read most of this book in the 90's and never did get to finish it and finally had the time to look it up its well written as all books by joints are

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Boring, Boring, Aug. 25 2003
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, I really don't know what the raving is about. I read the stupid book for the first five chapters and then I gave up. Yeah, there's a smart dog, and there's a monster attacking people around. Stupid and predicable plot! The story is a major bore, and Mr. Koontz should really consider making his style of writing less repetitive. Don't waste some many pages on boring details. I almost fell asleep when the monster is killing some nobody. So, if you want a real page-tuner, don't ever buy this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone!, March 14 2003
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not rating this book based off how Koontz produces his storyline, as he is a good writer in this regard. My 1 star rating is based off my preference of content: how it is presented.
A reviewer on this board stated that this is a book for everyone, regardless of age. This is NOT so!
Within this book you will find vulgarity in regards to sex and numerous disturbing murder scenes, one involving a boy and in another instance, the murderer daydreaming about his ultimate kill: a pregnant woman and her unborn child. To name a few. To mention also, there are numerous passages regarding animal mutilations.
This book is dark and quite disturbing and even though there was a good man, good woman (who in the beginning had quite an inferiority complex) and a friendly, smart dog (albeit laughable in regards to capabilities) presented in this book...they certainly couldn't make up for all the twisted, disturbing, dark and to put it plainly; downright evil mentality that Koontz so well displayed within "Watchers."
This IS a graphic book.
If you don't mind this, then more than likely you will find it a well written book.
If you do mind this, you have been forewarned.

Watchers
Watchers by Dean Koontz (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 28 2003)
CDN$ 12.50 CDN$ 11.25