Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on July 11, 2002
First, I have to admit that I've been a Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt junkie from the time my grandmother bought me a copy of Raise the Titanic back in 1978. I still have the origonal, well-worn paperback sitting on my shelf. I've read all his work and even began to buy the hardcovers in first edition as soon as I got out of college and could afford them. To me, Cyclops was the pinnacle, but I still keep buying, hoping that ole Dirk can get close to the heights reached in that book. I even could live with the "Dirk meets Clive" bits.
After Fire Ice, I can honestly say that I believe Mr. Cussler has lost one of his biggest fans. The book was slow, plodding, and generally unexiting. I'd have to say it was the worst book purchase I've ever made.
I really have a feeling that Paul Kemprecos is more than just a "contributor." I have a feeling that like Tom Clancy's Op Center, etc, that he is writing for Cussler. I could be wrong, but that's what I think. This is a huge disappointment, as the Kurt Austin books have been quite terrible.
Please, please, please bring back Dirk Pitt. And please start writing on your own again.
on September 28, 2002
Clive Cussler is, by far, my favorite author. I have enjoyed his books immensely over the years, since I was in elementary school. This book, however, can't be Cussler's. It just has his name on it and a few of his characters. Paul Kemprecos, teamed with Cussler, did well in "Serpent" and "Blue Gold," novels I truly enjoyed while waiting for the latest Pitt novel. But "Fire Ice" is so poor and obviously un-Cussler that I don't even know what to do with it. For the first time ever, I've stopped reading in the middle of a "Cussler" novel and put it down. I have yet to pick it back up, and it's been several months. It's much along the lines of the Tom Clancy Op-Center series - books with Clancy's name on them but with none of his style or skill. The same goes for the latest NUMA Files work. I can only hope that "Fire Ice" won't rub off on the next Dirk Pitt installment.......
on October 16, 2003
I found this book to be horribly unrealistic in every aspect. The dialog was corny, without an original phrase used by any character. I could perhaps forgive one character who is sarcastic and teasing all the time, but nearly every dialog exchange was full of cliches and sarcasm. And when the characters were being serious, they were melodramatic. There were too many coincidences which inplausibly dragged the plot along. Finally, the backdrop against the legend of Imperial Russia and the modern corrupt Russian businessman-mafioso was just the icing on the cake. I'm not a literature nazi, and I'm game for a pulp fiction read every now and then. But I should be able to enjoy a story without uttering "oh, puh-lease" every few minutes. I haven't read any other Cussler novels, but I'm not inclined to after this one. For a better read in this genre, try Ken Follet.
on August 3, 2003
Are we sure Fire Ice was written by Cussler? I've been fascinated by his imagination since I read Raise the Titanic years ago, and I've read a number of his books since. First, it is too much a reworking of other novels and too little an adventure based on historical possibilities. Second, it appears to be written with Hollywood, not readers, in mind; one can almost read the script's instructions between the lines and the director's voice in the background. Too bad. It really was an idea with possibilities.
on November 24, 2002
I feel that that great author , Clive Cussler has lost his way. I am now up to page 100 and am still looking for a plot. Along the way I have found this book plagued with excess adjectives, adverbs and side issues. I will continue doggedly to find a plot, but I am getting very weary of Kaela and Ivan who really don't contribute much. I suggest if you want to add to your Clive Cussler collection that you buy this used and try it out. I still recommend C.C. , but he is on probation!
on October 16, 2002
How sad, Clive Cussler is my all time favourite author. I have always found his books pure escapism and as my wife calls them "Big boys Hardy Boys" I have read all his works and I must say this is the first one I have closed without even finishing it. I just hope it was Paul Kemprecos and Clive Cussler(Contributor) and not as published on the cover. I hope I have not lost my all time favourite author.
I look forward to his next book....
on September 14, 2003
What do you do if you're running out of plots for a successful series character like Dirk Pitt? Well, if you're Clive Cussler and you like all the moola you've been making off the series,you dream up another character, a spin-off, and use the same plots again. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, READ IT ALREADY....ONLY IT WAS MUCH BETTER THE FIRST TIME AROUND!!!!!!!!! PHOOEY!!!!
on September 7, 2002
Simply the worst book from Cussler -
I love all the others ... If I keep it will it infect my other books?