5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the series
I really enjoyed this addition to the In Death series.
Eve is on the trail of a serial killer who is imitating famous killers of the past. I thought the mystery was really well done and I really didn't know who the killer was until the end (and I'm one of those people who usually figure it out early :)
I also liked the theme of mothering and how that fit into...
Published on April 12 2004 by Sheri Fogarty

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best in the series
J. D. Robb's '"In Death" series, featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, is a great detective series. Because Robb (aka the best-selling Nora Roberts) is best known for writing romance stories, many detective fiction fans have overlooked these books. They shouldn't.
Published on Dec 20 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong police procedural highlights 17th Eve Dallas !, June 6 2004
Jerry Bull "Gerald M. Bull" (Fairview, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
We continue to be astounded at the publishing pace of Nora Roberts. Despite her "regular" books under her own name, these fun NYPD homicide Lt. Eve Dallas stories, written as "JD Robb", keep coming at the rate of one or two a year. "Imitation...", the 17th entry in the "... In Death" series, is not the emotional blockbuster of the just prior two ("Purity..." and "Portrait..."), but nonetheless entertains throughout this tough-minded police procedural. When a licensed companion (that's a "hooker" in year 2059 parlance) is found brutally murdered in the style of Jack the Ripper, followed in quick succession by the killing of a popular female apartment dweller, slain Boston Strangler style, it doesn't take the two notes recovered from the bodies, on unusual stationary, to clue any of us that a vicious copycat serial killer is on the loose. When it turns out the notes are addressed to Dallas personally, it's also clear that she herself is probably on the intended hit list, providing immense worry to her billionaire but loving husband Roarke. His role in this novel, as in many of the prior tales, is one of Eve's crime-solving sidekick, along with faithful aide Officer Delia Peabody. Fortunately, the notepaper provides a small roster of immediate suspects, but Robb cleverly keeps us guessing, 'til like ten pages before the end, which of the half dozen users of the stationary might be the real sicko. While a sub-plot of sorts involves Peabody's trials and tribulations getting ready for her detective's exam, the storyline is very much ala Ellery Queen in terms of clues, follow-up, and solid police work. Eve's intuition serves her well, but her assembling and processing of the clues is flawless as she gradually zeroes in, then sucks in, the bad guy.
Eve's hardships as an abused young girl, and her husband's often "shady" background provide the usual backdrop to much of the motivation of the principals. Their marital relationship is always a subject of both display and discussion. Meanwhile, Peabody's moving in with McNab, another regular, provides a foil in "examining" the nature of adults living together. We're still big fans of the whole set, and at the point when many similar ongoing character series novels have long gone stale, find continued enjoyment in Dallas' pursuits. We think you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the series, April 12 2004
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed this addition to the In Death series.
I also liked the theme of mothering and how that fit into more understanding of Eve and Roarke's relationships with their mothers.
What I most appreciated was the humor. The book could have been especially dark because of the killer but there was enough humor sprinkled throughout that I had MANY laugh out loud moments - great story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing reading!, March 2 2004
Frederick A. Babb "An Author," (http://www.frederickbabb.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Eve Dallas, a police lieutenant, faces the most challenging case of her career, when she has to track down a serial killer that duplicates the brutal killing styles of notorious serial killers. A prostitute (LC is the term used in the book) is killed in the style of Jack the Ripper and the next victim meets their fate a la Boston Strangler style. With each murder, a personal note is left for Eve as the killer singles her out. Roarke, Eve's husband, is not the least bit amused with this last fact.
Robb, a.k.a. Nora Roberts, offers a splendid blend of mystery, thriller action, internal friction amongst the principle characters and poignant intimacy spiced with a dash of sex to make this a very interesting read. I recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Imitation may be the sickest form of flattery., Feb. 9 2004
Chadwick H. Saxelid "Bookworm" (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
An LC (futurist term for prostitute) is murdered in the flamboyant style of Jack the Ripper, which is bad. But the unknown killer leaves a personal note for Lieutenant Eve Dallas, which is even worse. When the serial killer strikes again, it is not as Jack the Ripper, but as The Boston Strangler. Another note is left and Dallas and her associates race against time to figure out who is so meticulously copycatting the infamous serial killers of old. This is the first 'In Death' book I have read and it most certainly will not be the last. The mystery is good, with enough red herrings to keep the pages turning, but, sadly, the front cover offers more than a bit of a spoiler. The secondary characters are likable and, in the end, I looked forward to spending time with them again...another fan won over. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best in the series, Dec 20 2003
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
That said, "Imitation in Death" is missing one key feature in my opinion, and that's tension. As always, Robb/Roberts has painted the future with great skill, and it's rewarding to visit again the returning characters. But in the best of the series, for example "Conspiracy in Death" and "Portrait in Death", there's conflict to be solved among the protagonists as well as conflict with the criminals. In this book, everything just feels a bit too smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Back To The Future", Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
In Nora Roberts' "IMITATION IN DEATH" the year is 2059 and Lieutenant Eve Dallas faces a madman who kills his victims the old-fashioned way. Eve Dallas must stop a serial killer who reaches back into criminal history for his gruesome inspiration. (Chilling Story that gets my highest recommendation to be sure!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps on Trucking..., Oct. 30 2003
A. Bennett "llondra" (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
As the latest in the In Death series, J.D. Robb is still cooking. If you're a fan of the rest of the series, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this latest addition. It's the classic mix she's been using all along, and one as a fan of the series, I'm glad she hasn't decided to mess with.
If you're new to the series, stop and go back to the beginning - start with the first book Naked In Death. Trying to jump into the series this far into it, you may enjoy the book, but there's a whole host of character development and backstory that you'll miss out on, which will add to your full enjoyment of this book (and probably help explain a lot).

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't be written by the same author, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all the other books in the series and had been eagerly awaiting this one. While it provided a nice visit with some old friends, I'm having trouble believing it was written by the same person who wrote the other books in the series. Every time someone opened his or her mouth (*especially Eve*) something popped out that was completely out of character. The case was boring and nothing flowed. What happened?!
Do not judge this excellent series by this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so much., Oct. 17 2003
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm surprised by the other reviews and by it being on the bestseller list. Did we read the same book?? Anyway, this is the first book in years that was actually hard for me to pick UP. Sorry to say but it just wasn't all that good. I thought she tried too hard and it fell flat. The characters too cliche. The main character especially was portrayed as a combination of tough as nails police chief who's seen the worst of it by day and sexaholic wife at night (who at their age has sex 3 or 4 times back to back in one night, I'd like to know)- which just didn't fit at all. I found it conflicting. And the descriptions of the violence is just a little too detailed in a perverse fixated way. Not so much. Sorry. Wish I had liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imitation in Death, Oct. 14 2003
Amazon Customer "Critical Reader" (League City, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation In Death (Mass Market Paperback)
Not (in general) a romance novel fan, a mystery fan or a Nora Roberts fan, I was given this by a friend. The mystery was of minimal interest, but I gave it credit for being less dull than most.
However, this book had the key to what I consider essential to all great books: good characters. As an abrasive woman myself, I was easily able to identify with Eve Dallas and found her husband (a wealthy mature version of my own husband) utterly loveable. I became quite consumed with these characters and, though I had not read the whole series, found myself desperately interested in their entire history.
Since reading this, I have now read Naked in Death and Glory in Death and would heartily recommend that anyone interested in these characters read the series from the beginning. I am now determined to own them all.
One last point; I read books to my husband and, although neither romances nor mysteries are on his list of preferred books, he is now as hooked on these as I am.

ARRAY(0xb63e89fc)

Imitation In Death
Imitation In Death by Nora Roberts (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 4 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54