5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read
I have been counselling women in abusive relationships for 11 years. Our program does have a lending library and recently ordered this book. It is by far the best book on abusive relationships written for not only survivors of abusive relationships, but also for secondary survivors (family,friends, co-workers), therapists and the general public.
It explains the...
Published on Feb. 24 2006 by Violence Intervention Program

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is biased and harmful
Published on Aug. 8 2011 by Sam Iam

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, Feb. 24 2006
This review is from: Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men (Paperback)
It explains the abusive personality, dispells the myths about abusive men, gives the survivor solid ways to know if he is changing and reasons why he does not choose to change. It also includes reasons not to seek couple counselling, which is something that cannot be stressed enough.
I lend this book to all my clients and encourage them to purchase it.
Excellent resource!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, July 31 2009
karma (bc, canada) - See all my reviews
i was recommended this book by my psychologist. at first, i was hesitant to read it b/c i didn't want to spend one more ounce of energy on HIM but since my psychologist said it would help me and i trusted her, i decided to get it at the library. well, i couldn't put the book down and i ended up buying it and received it within a few days. having been in an abusive relationship for almost twenty years, and having been through counselling and the court system and all the ups and downs, having done a lot of research, i thought i wouldn't learn much from reading this book but i was wrong. i read much of the book with my jaws hanging open and head nodding. it was as if he put my experiences and thoughts in writing and it helped me to validate what i had gone through and helped me to reinforce that i wasn't crazy. my ex was arrested for assault years ago and last year was arrested again and this time convicted. i now have two young children in the mix and i have gone through a very very difficult year. my son esp. (now 7yrs) still has issues. not only have we had to deal with the physical, and emotional abuse but also financial, psychological, sexual abuse as well as infidelity, the awful family court system, access issues etc etc. the author has written another book titled "when dad hurts mom" and i have just gotten it from the library and will be reading that. for those of you undecided about purchasing this book, you can see if they have it at your local library first, like i did. i personally feel it is one of those books that should be on your shelf so you can have it to read over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Dec 11 2013
I would recommend this book to any woman who is going through turmoil and abuse. It isn't you. It isn't your fault. By reading this book you will begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel and each day will be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener, Sept. 23 2013
This book was informative and gave me insight into these negative behaviours.
It opened my eyes into the oftentimes hopeless changes in some men who are caught up in these behaviours and the damage that results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening, Jan. 19 2014
S. Nievaart "Anthro Artist" (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This book has changed my life. If you ever have doubts about your relationship and what is normal and what is abusive, read this book. Well-researched, and over 15 years of professional experience inform this analysis.
A must-read for anyone involved in a (potentially) abuse relationship or otherwise affected by one.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is biased and harmful, Aug. 8 2011
I come from an abusive family, in which my father was violently abusive toward my mother, myself and my siblings. My mother was also emotionally and verbally abusive, extremely manipulative and oftentimes cruel. Yet because my father's behaviour was explicit and my mother's more subtle, he was labeled as the scapegoat 'abuser' by society and she was treated as pure and innocent. While recognizing the faults and failings of my father I resent the biased way society looks at the breakdown of our family. This book continues the tradition of blaming the man for all abusive behaviour in dysfunctional marriages. While the man should be held 100% responsible for his actions, in almost all messed up relationships BOTH partners have behaved abusively toward each other and both need to take responsibility before healing can occur.

While this book may be useful in helping to understand/recognize when one is in an abusive relationship, Bancroft does not offer effective solutions to transform such relationships into healthy ones and admits his methods usually fail. After reading this book I believe it is ultimately harmful.

Bancroft states he works largely with clients on probation who have no choice but to attend his sessions. He has no formal training in psychology or psychiatry and yet he dismisses all evidence-based therapies. Instead he introduces his own techniques, cites no studies demonstrating the methods work, and admits on p357 that the majority of his attempts to change clients in his program fail. He repeatedly blames the clients for this rather than his own methods.

In addition the book is full of inaccurate and misleading statements. For example Bancroft states on p45 that only men abuse women, and it is a 'myth' that women abuse men. This contradicts hundreds of studies by psychologists and psychiatrists showing that both men and women can be abusive in relationships. Bancroft offers no scientific studies to back up his claims. He goes on to make the bizarre assertion that while women can abuse each other in lesbian relationships, they do not abuse men while in heterosexual relationships.

The fact that Bancroft does not follow evidence-based therapeutic practices hurts both men and women who follow his advice. Many couples in abusive relationships love each other and sincerely want things to change. By using dubious methods, Bancroft often makes the situation worse.

Much better books are out there, for example The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, April 12 2014
I would recommend this book to Everyone. To truly understand the confusion, cycle and ultimate sadness that results from abusiveness this book is necessary. It explains why abuse happens and why the behaviour usually doesn't change (why change it when there are so many benefits for the abuser). All lawyers should read this too, how can the cycle of abuse end when "the system" doesn't acknowledge the severity of these situations?

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ for abused women!, Jan. 21 2014
This book answered every question I had in my mind when it came to an abusive relationship. It is amazing how accurate and thorough the author is in his descriptions of the abuser type. I could talk a lot about this book but if you are a woman who is experiencing some kind of abuse from her husband, bf, father, or whoever else please READ this book asap! It will help you to understand what you have not been able to for so long, due to the games that have been played with you so well.

Thanks for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to have the wool completely removed from your eyes!!, Jan. 8 2014
Why Does he do That? was the book that stripped the wool completely and permanently from my dim eyes, and sent me into shock! It's not an easy book to read, but it's almost impssible to put down once you start. FINALLY, everything about my marriage made sense! We women can be so in the dark about what is really happening, and we need to know the truth, so we can be set free. But don't think it'll be an easy road! Quite the contrary!! As soon as you begin to see the truth, and walk in it, life gets tough, but with that teensy ray of hope gleaming in, there is something inside that just wants to be free, no matter what the cost!! Because this book is written primarily for partners of abusive men, I seriously recommend this book to them, but also to anybody who would like to get a better understanding of abuse. If this outrage against our own society is to be brought to an end, people are going to have to educate themselves as to what is really going on behind closed doors! This book is a good place to begin...

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Important Book of 21st Century in Subject, June 15 2013
L. Desmond (California) - See all my reviews
This book is such a breakthrough at last in that Author Bancroft concisely describes the problem of abuse, places responsibility on abuser, and how he thinks, not how he feels. There is no "blaming the victim", a tactic which only focus attention away from the perpetrator. Clinical data reported from his experience treating offenders in his professional practice supports a wealth of insight into how and why angry and controlling men operate and whether and how they might behave in kinder ways. I'm so grateful to Dr. Bancroft for this work. This book has helped me more than anything in many years.

ARRAY(0xb5922798)

Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men by Lundy Bancroft (Paperback - Sept. 2 2003)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00