5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Enjoyed
I have recently discovered Clive Cussler and I love his books, I especially enjoy the Fargo Adventures as he mixes actual historical fact in with the story. This one was just as good. Looking forward to the next adventure.
Published 1 month ago by Dawn Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming... Clive Cussler almost ruins the story.
This book is good. Let's just get that straight before I talk about the flaws.
Published on Nov. 22 2001 by R. Kummel

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise The Titanic, Feb. 7 2002
Awsome book!
If you like adventure books with a hint of history, you will love this one. Clive Cussler is a wonderful researcher, he gives many story angles and spins them all together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rase the Titanic, Dec 5 2001
Ron (Arvada, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Raise the Titanic, By Clive Cussler, is a action mystery, that takes place during the 1980's, during the cold war. The US is trying to get a concentrated form of a radioactive material, called Byzammum to create the greatest defensive weapon. The weapon that creates an invisible "shield", or blanket that would completely protect the US from any incoming missiles. The problem is the Byzammum in the Vault of the Titanic.
The book is very well written, it allows for the reader to see every little detail, but with out being boring. Mr. Cussler allows for the main character, Dirk Pitt to be very mysterious, but at the same time friendly and compassionate. He is the man who is in charge of the salvage crew to raise the Titanic.
The book takes a little time to get going, but once it gets going it's great. This book has it's share of twists like any Military Book does. From double agents, to the surprise ending
In my opinion it's a good book, it's well written, fast paced and just plain entertaining. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys Action Mystery Military books

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming... Clive Cussler almost ruins the story., Nov. 22 2001
R. Kummel "bct" (Brasilia, DF Brazil) - See all my reviews
This book is good. Let's just get that straight before I talk about the flaws.
First, I must say that the first one hundred pages were terribly boring. I mean, all this race to find this byzanium material, and we only find out WHY THE HECK IT'S SO IMPORTANT way too late. I found myself yawning as I read those pages, and it only got intersting when the Titanic kicked in (then again, way too late)
Another thing is the remarkable lack of accuracy. I'm not much of a realistic nut, but if you are, stay away from this novel. First of all, the Titanic split in two before sinking, but it's complete in this novel, making the entire plot downright impossible. But this isn't my biggest gripe (I managed to ignore the lack of realism) but the worst thing is the portrayal of the soviet soldiers.
The russians aren't simply demonized in this work. Clive Cussler goes out of his way just to bash them. They seem to constantly praise the americans when they talk between themselves "The americans have an annoying habit of accomplishing what they set out to do" (actual quote from the book). I mean, come on! Also, they are constantly outsmarted, as if they are just stupid monkeys with AK-47s. They are also heartless, I might add, not hesitating to do hte most horrible things (even though they always fail).
Although I can question the plot, I can't question Cussler's ability to describe a scene. He does it masterfully. Many of the scenes the pages just seemed to zoom as the suspense filled the plot. The rising of the Titanic seems to be the one that sticks out in my mind the most.
I liked this book. Really. But the thing is, it's got way too many big flaws for me to give it five stars, or even four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now this is a different kind of book, Aug. 21 2001
I had never read anything by Cussler until this. I had heard a lot about him and his Dirk Pitt character but never really had any desire to get into the series. However I was looking in a bookstore one day and wanted something new to read so I decided to try Cussler. I figured this would be a good one to start out with because it was about the Titanic.
Even though this was a little bit unrealistic it was still fun. The plot is pretty self-explainatory. It's a project served up by NUMA to get the Titanic up from being buried deep in the Atlantic. There is also a murder that comes into play. It might not seem like it makes much sense but once you read it all you'll understand fully.
Even though I thought this book could get a little boring at times it still got to me somehow. Something told me that I need to read more by this Clive Cussler guy. I mean he's almost sold 100 million copies of his books. So I decided to try Sahara and am in the middle of reading it now. But Cussler is definitely an author to think about trying out if you haven't all ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagination...it is all in the imagination, July 11 2001
I don't understand the bad reviews. This was the first book I read of Cusslers back in the late 70's (79?). I had picked it up in the book store because I had just finished composing an extensive paper on the Titantic for school and when I read the back cover, was intrigued. Okay here is the dirt Cussler did his homework; it is evident if you read between the lines. Cussler uses the what if scenario and his method works. He weaves a fantastic tail of intrigue, dirty politics and fantastic science. The best scene that still plays through my mind even to this day is Dirk Pitt roaming the ship after it has risen to the surface and then raises the White Star pennant. After constructing my own paper, reading all the evidence I could find, looking over blueprints, etc., Mr. Cussler bought what was on paper to life for me. So, simply for a good read put aside the facts about the Titantic that we knew before this book came out (and after) and simply enjoy the thrilling ride that is the Cussler writing. Cussler gives his characters an edge not found in any other adventure series that I have read. Not Clancy, not Crichton, no one. It is total escapism at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to read one book this is it, July 5 2001
Norman R. "dashrender1" (Saint Leonard, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This is the best book i have ever read. I have read every single one of the Clive Cussler books and this was the most enjoyable one of them all. He still is one of the best authors ever and all his books are exciting but this one kept me on my toes all the way. It is just amazing the amount of time and research he put into this book. He really gives you the feel that there is a way to litterally raise the titanic. It is nothing like that Titanic movie. If you like characters like James Bond (I know i do) then you will love the Dirk Pitt series. He is pretty much the next James Bond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dirk Pitt saves the free world!, June 25 2001
Paul Skinner (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
Two things you can count on with Clive Cussler. First, history will be re-written with amazing revelations that tickle the imagination. Second, Dirk Pitt will put James Bond to shame. Once again, Cussler delivers a fanciful adventure on the high seas, where Pitt and company race against the Soviets to get the precious cargo aboard the Titanic. Pitt comes off as the superhero who refuses to die, even when the odds are a million to one against him. In this one, Pitt manages to solve a pretty complicated puzzle with powers of deduction that I do not believe ordinary mortals possess. Just when the Soviets think they have the upper hand, Pitt saves the free world. One flaw in Pitt did disappoint me, however. I was dismayed when our hero committed adultery. How could you, Dirk? Shame shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Story, June 23 2001
Michael R. Wilson (Huntington Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy page turning adventure novels, none I've read surpasses "Raise the Titanic." It is most certainly the best of all the Clive Cussler novels (I've read them all and many more than once)and is simply fun, fun reading. Perhaps those that have or will read it for the first time after the actual discovery of the Titanic will have a more difficult time buying the plotline. However, if you can get past what we know to be real today and enjoy a fiction as a fiction, you'll have a great time. There are some really strange negative reviews posted here for this novel. A few of them make for some very odd but entertaining reading in themselves. You'll see,however, if you scan the majority of the rational sounding reviews that the novel is loved by many. I do recommend that you avoid the movie version. What a major disappointment and possibly the death note for any future in the movies for Dirk Pitt!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exciting novels I have ever read..., June 13 2001
This is the one that started it all for me. It was the late 70's and I was failing English and my reading skills were in the toilet, b-u-u-u-t I accidentally stumbled upon 'Raise The Titanic' and quite literally my life changed--for the better. I discovered the joy of reading, something I did not think was possible before reading Clive Cussler. Since then, reading has become my all-time #1 hobby, and I have moved to the head of the Clive Cussler fan list.
First off, 'Raise The Titanic' has an irresistable plot in the Titanic. Long before DiCaprio and Winslett made the movie the biggest film of all-time, Cussler coached me through locating the sunken ship in the Atlantic...the task of getting her ready to raise and helped me feel as though I walked her decks with his vivid descriptions. This is also a Dirk Pitt novel, but the only one thus far where Dirk's character takes a back-seat to someone else...in this case his name is Gene Seagram, the man behind the super-sophisticated defense weapon the US Government wants to build with the help of an incredibly rare substance that unfortunately went down in a vault on the Titanic. Intrigue piled on top of action on top of a Cold War scenario with the Russians that simply cannot be beat is certainly one of the reasons why this is one of Cusslers absolute best novels. On more than one occasion while reading this book I felt a twinge of regret that the scene where the Titanic reaches the surface of the Atlantic after so many years was only fiction. The image that Cussler portrays of the ship finally reaching New York was written to perfection. I found myself wishing I had been there, but after reading this amazing novel no less than 5 different times, I know that I HAD been there, more than once.
Fans of Dirk Pitt who have not picked this one up may be disappointed that he isn't the central character, but that in NO WAY compromises the story whatsoever. Never fear, this is a Clive Cussler novel after all, and you just KNOW that when you crack the pages of one of his novels you are in for a thrill ride that no other author can match, and 'Raise The Titanic' is NO exception. Easily one of my all-time favorite novels, mostly because it happens to be the one that sparked my love for reading. Just a riviting example of adventure/fiction with a plot as good as anything else in Cusslers amazing library of thrillers. Just plain FUN.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original Dirk Pitt novel!, June 6 2001
Actually this was not the first, but it was the one where the Pitt we have all come to know and love takes full shape. It is very dated as it was written before the Titantic was actually found, but still agreat thrill ride with plenty of mystery. check out my about you page and email me any good thriller suggestions you might have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xf345b28)

Raise the Titanic!
Raise the Titanic! by Clive Cussler (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 3 2004)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49