4.0 out of 5 stars Time for Jack Ryan Jr. 3.5 Stars
Published on Aug. 12 2003 by taking a rest

1.0 out of 5 stars More twists in 15 minutes of "24" than this waste of time
Published on Jan. 15 2007 by Torval Mork

1.0 out of 5 stars More twists in 15 minutes of "24" than this waste of time, Jan. 15 2007
Torval Mork (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
I was sifting through a box of books left in the "donation" area of our condo building and found "Teeth of the Tiger." Having read all of the Jack Ryan novels, I felt well versed in the Tom Clancy dogma and decided why not continue forward. What a waste of time that turned out to be. I couldn't believe some of the wooden dialogue that was written for the three central characters. The two brothers (Dom and Brian - cousins to Jack Ryan Jr.) spoke to each other like two wide-eyed Archie comic high school students. If I spoke to my brother like that I'd be hard pressed to show myself in public. I find it easy to suspend myself in the reality that the TV show "24" creates from episode to eposide, because the action has you on the edge of your seat so you have no choice but to lean forward and give in to the thrill ride. Conversely, Teeth of the Tiger has a couple too many coincidences, such as the brothers (who have been recruited by a clandestine government sponsored anti terror agency) who just happen to be shopping at the mall that's been targeted by suicide gunmen. What a bore, to me the climax happened way too early, and caused me to flip unread pages to the end, which was entirely uneventful. I think Mr. Clancy, out of respect for the fans who he impressed with the Ryan chronicles, should kindly step aside and let a new generation write for an age that requires an entirely different type of dialogue, and a heck of a lot more adrenalin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time for Jack Ryan Jr. 3.5 Stars, Aug. 12 2003
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
The last novel that Tom Clancy presented to readers was not well received. With," Teeth of the Tiger", we are again presented with a young Jack Ryan but this time it is a new generation and not a work that is a prequel to previous books. This book ends abruptly and does so at a point that would normally mark the half way mark in terms of length of one of Mr. Clancy's works. This book is not a sweeping complete tale; it is clearly one in a series. This work borrows from, "Clear and Present Danger", "Without Remorse", and finally, "Rainbow Six".
The concepts of sanctioned action outside of nearly any governmental oversight, the drug trade and finally forms of revenge were all explored in the other works that I mentioned. The new twist here has to do with populating the events with Jack Ryan Jr. and two of his first cousins. There is nothing here readers have not been exposed to before and have enjoyed. Mr. Clancy brings great authenticity to the organizations he creates here just as he always does in his work. What is missing this time is the very deft hand he has always been when it comes to the gadgets and weapons systems he presented. His books read as though he had unique access to information, one work even included a satellite photo that caused a bit of an uproar. His very first book was said to have caused consternation in the Navy due to the remarkable and correct detail he offered readers This book's events largely take place in the world of cyberspace and Mr. Clancy clearly is not as comfortable with this and related subjects.
I have read all of his stand-alone novels and as a reader from the very first work I would like to see new novels and complete works like those he presented in the past. When you see this book you will immediately note how slender a volume it is for this author. At 430 pages it is comparatively brief, and with the introduction of Ryan Jr. it appears much of Jack Sr.'s career is going to be explored once again. Placing the next generation of the Ryan family in the loop does not constitute a new novel. In this instance the book read like a re-tread and is not a major new work by Mr. Clancy. If fans are not enamored by this work it will mark the second tale in a row that has disappointed his readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, Jan. 9 2014
This review is from: The Teeth Of The Tiger (Mass Market Paperback)
It was the perfect gift for Christmas. The person who received it was very happy to receive it as a gift. It came before Christmas even though it was not to be here until Jan. Great service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ryanverse, it ain't, March 17 2013
This review is from: The Teeth Of The Tiger (Mass Market Paperback)
I am one of those who loves the character of Jack Ryan and the books Tom Clancy has written about him - books that are detailed and demand a reader to pay attention, books that create a character one can admire while at the same time engage those looking for action. But do not look to this "sequel" to "The Bear and the Dragon" as another real contribution to the series. Sadly, the novels about the Jack Ryan we know and love ("Ryanverse") effectively ended with that book. Perhaps the first tip-off should have been the fact that "The Teeth of the Tiger" is so short. In it, Clancy quickly kills off one beloved character and elevates a disliked one. It's as if he's telling the readers who love the series, "Take that, I don't care anymore." The writing is pathetic (filled with inane dialogue like, "Hang a big Roge-O on that, bro") and the plot is silly. I suspect (and dearly hope) that this was ghostwritten. The character of Jack Jr. is interesting, as is the concept of the environment in which he finds himself, but Clancy has let his audience down with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising Restart to Aging Series, Aug. 13 2003
mike brooks (minneapolis, mn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
With a whole new cast of characters this is a promising restart to the Jack Ryan, (Jr. this time) franchise. The writing is clear, and crisper than it seems to have been in Clancy's last few novels. Shorter than most Clancy novels this one's pages will roll off of your fingrtips faster than you want them to, and leave you wanting more of Jack Jr., much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars When is part 2???, Aug. 10 2004
This review is from: The Teeth Of The Tiger (Mass Market Paperback)
Being a HUGE fan of Clancy (I've read them all), I certainly enjoyed this book.
My main problem is that the book ended far too early, without the typical "double climatic" endings that I'd been accustomed to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cirrusreview, July 17 2004
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
Now that I've read so many reviews panning Clancy's latest I'm starting to wonder if I need to get an IQ test before adding my thoughts. While its not Ludlum (even Ludlum hasn't been Ludlum for a while), its still a fun read and well worth the $17.95 or whatever it costs now. I do like Jack-the-Younger, lets face it, the senior has to be in his 60's and suspension of disbelief only goes so far with action figures (read: Harrison Ford). A litte flag waving about offing terrorists is also a pleasant escape from our present political enviorment. And yes, sometimes the dialogue is pat and even silly but I'll accept Tom's lack of poetry for his technical description the latest covert poison injection systems any time. I mean, we're not reading him to get all teary-eyed anyway, are we guys? (and you three girls out there who are reading this).

2.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the old characters, July 15 2004
"jadespartan" (East Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
These new characters are like old Clancy lite. Watered down versions of everyone's favorite characters, Clark, Jack Ryan, the Foleys, Ding...
I did not like this book...

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it less stars if I could..., July 14 2004
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
To be fair, I thought the idea of a clandestine, vigilante group to be intriguing. (Why not level the playing field? After all, we can't win 'til we're all playing by the same rules.) But after reading Teeth of the Tiger, I've sworn off anything new from Tom Clancy (especially since this is the second stinker in a row). This was barely worthy of a soap opera / sit-com writer. The dialog is mostly unbelievable and annoyingly repetative; the plot is so contrived that F.W. Dixon--who wrote the Hardy Boys--would've reconsidered it. ("Let's see, we need an intel weenie to go help the twins. Has to be somebody young, someone they trust..." Hmmm, who will it be?)
I don't know if it's because of the successful movie versions, but it seems like he's "dumbing down" his books for a wider appeal. How about we just get smarter readers?
This wasn't even palatable as a propaganda piece like the ones produced during the 1940's.
If you've run out of ideas, take a break - you must have enough money by now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Teeth of the Tiger has no bite, July 9 2004
S. DELANCEY "stinger_bee" (Cumming, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teeth Of The Tiger (Hardcover)
I've been a big fan of Tom Clancy novels for some time. I've noticed that over the past few, his topics are getting weaker and the repetitiveness of the dialog/topic are becoming more prevalent. Teeth of the Tiger presents an interesting scenario where a shadow organization outside of the Federal Government springs to life to take care of terrorist in ways the CIA cannot. Good topic, poor delivery in my opinion. The storylines with the young Jack Jr. are so clearly trying to establish a new character for Mr. Clancy to carry on as to detract from the story.
Those, like me, who feel the need to read the book with be disappointed.

The Teeth Of The Tiger
The Teeth Of The Tiger by Tom Clancy (Mass Market Paperback - July 26 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89