5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Cold
As always really good book by Robert B Parker. I really like Jesse Stone novel. A really good reading. Great buy.
Published 12 months ago by Ginette

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty lightweight reading
As others have noted, this is not a big book. Lots of white space - I think it was a one day read for me.
I have enjoyed the other Jesse Stone novels, but I guess the author needs to come up with something new. This is same-old-same-old.
1) Stone can't get over the ex-wife not matter what she does are how bad she treats him
2) Every good looking woman...
Published on Jan. 23 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Cold, April 23 2013
This review is from: Stone Cold (Mass Market Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, July 14 2004
Victoria (Honolulu, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I think this is definately one of the best books in Jesse Stone series. Jesse Stone encounters two very smart murderers who kill randomly and seemingly without a motive. I always liked Jesse's character but his confused ex-wife gets on my nerves. It seems to be a pattern in Robert Parker's books-in his Spencer series there is Susan who just can't work through her problems and have been confused about who she is for a long time. Same here. Its my only complaint about his books which are always excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this book very much,, June 7 2004
Peg Dubeck (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of this writer for a long time and usually enjoy all of his books. I think most people who read the work of Robert Parker will enjoy the stories as well. Give this one a shot you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appropriately Titled, May 25 2004
S. A. Cartwright "Stu Cartwright" (Wayland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
Parker's writing leaves me stone cold. This is the first Robert Parker novel I've read, and it did not impress. The writing is flat, arch at times, and a plot twist toward the end of the book...uhhh, did we forget one? This is a boring march through two cases: (1) the gang-rape of an underage high-schooler and (2) a serial killing couple who kill for the thrill. Neither case has much dimension or plot, and worse, they are highly predictible. Then we throw in the love-life storyline of the Jesse Stone, our protaganist, police chief. He struggles to reconcile with his ex-wife and to keep off the bottle. This is creative writing? Sorry, Parker fans...<yawn>.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guy Wins! Good Guy Wins!, May 11 2004
Richard A. Mitchell "Rick Mitchell" (candia, new hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
RObert Parker writes good page-turning mysteries and this one is in his upper echelon.
Jesse Stone is a big-time L.A. cop who comes to be the chief of police in a small Massachusetts town. In this novel he solves two crimes - one a local rape and the other a serial killer. Along the way he has relationships with several women including an ex-wife he can not surrender. (Somehow, this middle-aged taciturn guy keeps getting the babes, but somehow it works.)
The reader will find himself rooting for Stone in the rape matter and being very satisfied with its conclusion.
In the serial killer plot, Stone's adversary is extremely unique and interesting. To tell more would be to ruin the first third of the book but suffice it to say Parker has masterfully created a challenging nemesis for his hero.
Parker's writing, as always, is clean, concise and keeps the story moving. A good page-turner of a mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-spun suspenful and well-concepted plots, May 6 2004
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I am a big Robert Parker fan and have enjoyed his creating new characters. After all, Spenser has been around the ring for a lot of rounds.
I have read all Spenser and now Stone novels and continue to welcome a Parker Penning.
This story was very human, exceptionally interesting and gratifying (to me) on one plot and on another plot, a sad-but-true consequence of life and our times. I like Jesse Stone but think he should ditch his ex-wife.

4.0 out of 5 stars B+, April 26 2004
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I was not huge Parker fan until I read his previous novel. LOVED IT! This one was not quite as good but it was interesting and it wasn't filled with too much boredom, but could be considered so at times. 4 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so hot, April 16 2004
R. M Connors (Dedham, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I pride myself on having read the original Spenser-The Godwulf Manuscript-while it was a HB in the stores, and I've gotten lots of pleasure from all that's followed. But this one's a stinker, folks. Jesse Stone, who began life as a character distinct from Spenser, becomes in this one merely a clone of him, hewing to a rather tedious version of Spenser's philosophy of life. There are a lot of ponderous looks and deep, anguished sighs shared with various females, too. Overdone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stone Cold Fun, April 16 2004
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
I have to say that I am very impressed with my first Jesse Stone novel. I picked up this book after reading some favorable reviews and was not disappointed at all. Stone Cold is a brisk read that is just plain fun. The novel is a study of three story lines that each bring out unique qualities in Parker's main character, Jesse Stone. Stone investigates a series of serial murders conducted by a yuppie couple in his hometown. This plotline illustrates Stone's exceptional investigating skills and attention to detail. Concurrently, a young high school student is gang raped by three classmates. This sensitive situation shows Jesse's heart, compassion, and skill in bringing the boys to justice while protecting the victim. Lastly, Stone must deal with the varied emotions of his personal relationships as he lives with the pain of still loving his ex-wife who is still very much in his life.
I very much enjoyed Stone Cold. If I did have a complaint at all I would have to say that I wish there were a bit more development and background as to why the serial killers pursued their victims. While a general explanation is offered, I would have liked to have seen a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Cold, March 19 2004
This review is from: Stone Cold (Hardcover)
"Stone Cold" is the fourth Jesse Stone novel by Robert B. Parker, who is best known for his Spenser novels. Jesse is the police chief of the small seaside town of Paradise, Massachusetts. This novel has Jesse working on two important police cases and examining his personal life. A serial murderer is killing people at random with two shots from two .22 caliber guns. The reader learns that there are 2 murderers and why they are killing people. Jesse's life is very much in danger as it becomes apparent to him that he is to become a victim if he doesn't act fast. The other case involves the rape of a teen girl by three punks. Jesse also examines his personal life, and his love for Jenn, his ex-wife whom he still loves. This was my favorite Jesse Stone novel to date and it was a very satisfying read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3c2615c)

Stone Cold
Stone Cold by Robert B. Parker (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 27 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89