1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed..., Sept. 12 2005
This review is from: Derik's Bane (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a fan of Davidson after reading her Queen of the Undead books, and I was expecting a book on par with those. Unfortunately, the plot, while one would expect it to be rather exciting, felt more like a prologue. I kept wondering when I'd get to the real story! I finished the book and had that sinking "that's it?" feeling. I felt cheated. It was a good idea, but it never managed to engage me the way I expected. The only reason I kept reading was that I expected it to get better, to live up to my expectations. I should have given up and not wasted my time. Maybe the problem was that she centered on a man as opposed to her usual focus on a woman. I don't know. All I know is that, unlike her Vampire Queen books, I will never reread this book, and heartily regret paying any money for it at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one of MaryJanice Davidson's best., Aug. 18 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Derik's Bane (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is pretty bad, I cannot recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Light Snack, March 4 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Derik's Bane (Mass Market Paperback)
This book while enjoyable due to Ms. Davidson's usual snappy humour (love the Undead series!) was a little too "light" for my tastes. The characters seemed undeveloped and the story a little too trite with no depth. It felt like a short story that got S T R E T C H E D into novel form. If your looking for an easy read about werewolves, soceresses, reincarnation, and rather incompetent cults this is the one for you.

Derik's Bane
Derik's Bane by MaryJanice Davidson (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 4 2005)
CDN$ 9.99