5.0 out of 5 stars Is your Doctor IjHI certified?
This book is excellent for patients who have cancer and are being treated by a doctor who is IjHI (Institute for Human Individuality) Certified. If you are being treated by a Doctor who is NOT IjHI certified then this book is of questionable value to you. You can find an IjHI Certified Doctor in your area on the internet.
Cancer is a complicated and serious illness...
Published on June 25 2004 by Patrick Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars A Couple of Ugly Facts
Published on Feb. 17 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Is your Doctor IjHI certified?, June 25 2004
Patrick Harris (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Cancer is a complicated and serious illness and to think that by reading a book you may magically be cured is foolish. No one should be their own doctor. And when working with a IjHI certified doctor, you will be able to take responsibility for your own health by finding out how to work with your own blood type heritage with this book. Oh and by the way who said being in good health as we get older was easy? It's not easy and neither is giving up the 'avoid' foods we love yet if avoiding these 'avoid' foods this book recommends helps us beat CANCER isn't it worth it? Try it under the care of a IjHI certified doctor for two months. What do you have to lose? Most cancer MD's have no idea how you got cancer in the first place nor do they have anything resembling a cure.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Couple of Ugly Facts, Feb. 17 2004
By A Customer
I'm writing this review for those of you who didn't read Eat Right 4 Your Type. On page 307 he says.... "Even now, as I write this, I am beginning the eighth year of a ten-year trial on reproductive cancers, using the Blood Type Diets. My results are encouraging. So far, the women in my trial have double the survival rate published by the American Cancer Society. By the time I release the results in another two years, I expect to make it scientifically demonstrable that the Blood Type Diet plays a role in cancer remission." In this statement, D'Adamo was referring to breast,ovarian, and cervical cancers in women.The Eat Right book was published in 1996, it is now 2004 and the results still haven't been published; there is no mention of these results in any of the other books including this one that D'Adamo has written. What has happened to this trial that supposedly began in 1988? My gut instinct tells me that the results were not what he expected....so therefore push it under the rug.
According to D'Adamo some blood groups are more prone to cancer than others namely blood groups A and AB. According to Steve Henry and Bo Samuelsson both PhD scientists, and contributing authors of the book, Human Blood Cells: Consequences of Genetic Polymorphisms and Variations and experts in the ABO polymorphism have quoted....."Malignancy appears to associate more frequently with group A than group O subjects. Although there appears to be less associations with blood groups B and AB , in many instances, this is due to insufficient numbers obtainable for statistical analysis. It should be noted that with very few exceptions, for every report showing an association, there is another reporting either no association or a different association. Many of the associations have emerged only after compiling data from multiple smaller studies. In many cases, the relative risk is very small. For example, the relative A:O risk for breast cancer is 1.06, which means for every 100 group O individuals with breast cancer, there will be 106 group A individuals." So the incidence of breast cancer among blood groups A individuals isn't as extreme as the author has made it to be. This isn't only an unethical, but underhanded approach to get the reader to buy into this nonsense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart ..., April 13 2004
By A Customer
I hope the two previous reviewers know what they are talking about because when I flipped through this book I got really depressed and overwhelmed. I'm a type A, as is my daughter and the book made it sound like I was doomed ... the very blood flowing through my veins was killing me -- I was destined to get cancer. To prevent this, according to the book, I can eat fruits and vegetables but no cheese or any dairy (except things like goats milk) no meat or chicken, only a few types of fish, and no pepper among other things. I should avoid seltzer water, club soda and vinegar, but coffee, soy sauce and wine are beneficial. The whole thing was so overwhelming for me. The last reviewer (assuming his facts were accurate) put it into a better perspective. As far as I can see in the book there's no indication of how much more apt an A type was to get cancer. Reading it, I got the impression that me and others unlucky enough to be born with the flawed type A blood were all going to get cancer and what's more, are much less likely to survive it. Maybe people with better blood types will enjoy this book more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Different from Other D"Adamo Offerings, March 28 2004
Diana F. Von Behren "reneofc" (Kenner, LA USA) - See all my reviews
My health care provider plugs this book heavily, so I have had the opportunity to look through it, read the portions that pertain to my blood type and listen to his input regarding its worth.

In this slimmer volume, D'Adamo again looks at all four blood types and recommends food, drink and vitamins to help keep you cancer-free. On solely a practical level what this means is that only one fourth of the book will be read by you---why D'Adamo doesn't simply offer 4 books at a fourth of the price, I'll never know. The fourth of the book that you will read pretty much duplicates what is written in 'Eat Right for Your Type','Live Right for Your Type' and 'The Eat Right for your Type Encyclopedia'. In this book, D'Adamo adds 2 new food categories to the triumvate of BENEFICIAL, NEUTRAL and AVOID categories found in the older editions. One of the new food categories--Super Beneficial further delineates the already restrictive ground he has already covered at length in his earlier books. A few new vegetables and spices are added in the newer categories, but otherwise the directives found in his earlier work still define the underlying principles in this one.

So the really bottom line on this one is whether or not you really need to purchase a $20 book to further affirm D'Adamo's thinking on food and supplements. I think not. Whether or not you accept the idea that observing blood type and D'Adamo's corresponding food do's and don't's is the key to a longer and healthier life will definitely sway you in either making or not making this purchase. Do remember this: the Blood Type Diet is a business where D'Adamo sells rather expensive vitamins (he actually sells a backdoor product called Deflect which supposedly eliminates lectins in the system from AVOID foods) and supplements as well as protein shake mixes he says are optimally designed for each of the 4 blood types. But what if he's wrong? For my blood type I am supposed to eat lots of tofu and soy products---but alas, this food gives me headaches---a fact that I have tested through a strict elimination process--so if the premise is true, there most be a missing component that even D'Adamo's secretor non/secretor test does not take into account. Either his categories are too general or they are just incorrect. Perhaps good old common sense comes into play here: if eating tomatoes causes hives, simply don't eat them. Look at things on an individual basis and eat in moderation.

Recommended only to strict D'Adamo fans who just want a new but unnecessary version of the same information at their fingertips.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense!!!!!, July 1 2004
By A Customer
Genetics, diet (not blood-tye specific), and exercise are the answer!
The info in this book goes directly against my experience and that of my family.
My Grandmother was type A and she passed away this year at 94 from pnuemonia, not cancer. I suspect boredom is the real culprit, she had lost her eyesight and hearing in the last year. She told me she was tired and ready to complete her journey. BTW she ate meat (beef or chicken) at every meal. Steak and eggs or ham and eggs was the usual breakfast for her and my Grandfather.
My grandfather was type A, he died of a burst appendix at 78. His brother is 93 and still alive, he has 2 sisters still alive, 91 and 90. Two of the three are type A. Their mother lived to 90 also.
I have traced my Grandmother's family back to when they arrived in Rhode Island in 1635, most lived well over 80 years. Some lived into their 90's back in the 1700's and 1800's.
Disregard this info!

2.0 out of 5 stars To the reader from Coral Springs, June 22 2004
By A Customer
Don't buy into this. I have a relative in her 70's who is type A and her parents were both in their early 90's when they died, so one of them must have been type A. I agree on a few things such as the lack of stomach acid and being prone to anxiety, since I've never taken antacids a day in my life and stress easily. I will not, however, give up my steak under any circumstances.

ARRAY(0xf345b28)

Cancer: Fight It with the Blood Type Diet
Cancer: Fight It with the Blood Type Diet by Catherine Whitney (Paperback - Aug. 2 2004)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.64