4.0 out of 5 stars finelook from a visitor to the Corps

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars finelook from a visitor to the Corps, July 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
Evan wrote in firm prose...dancing his pen in and out of the cobwebs that sometimes clutter a tired sentries vision. He gave a Recon look at War as Chadz gave a infantry Marine's view at peacetime(Stand By to Fall Out). These two books together will allow a reader to travel to hell heaven and back with the Marines...maybe more drastically with Chadz as he was a Marine and wrote first person. Salutes to Evan...and there is still time to join!!!
Semper Fi
KT

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, June 18 2004
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
In order to formulate an opinion at all about The War on Terror, one needs to read about it, or of course experience the war itself. Generation Kill is the best book to read on the subject. Wright was embedded with the first marines to enter Iraq, and observed not only the actions of the marines, but their thought prossesses too. Make sure to read this brilliant book before it is sold out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw Unedited Rage, Aug. 9 2008
Coach C (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Generation Kill (Paperback)
I have a friend serving in Afghanistan as part of the Canadian contingent of NATO. He was describing to me the thrill he felt to be on the front-lines fighting. As an admitted pacifist and having never served in the military, it is hard for me to understand how someone can feel "glee" in an all out firefight. My friend referred me to "Generation Kill", as a way to explain how he feels.

First the mechanics, Evan Wright is an excellent journalist and writer and the lucidity of his prose reflects his talents. The book is literally a page-turner and Wright does a great job developing each of the characters as an embedded journalist in a Recon unit leading up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The parallel with Lt. Fick and my friend are uncanny.

It's still difficult for me to comprehend why soldiers do what they do, but Evan Wright's book has helped me bridge that gap. Soldiers are ultimately human, conflicted and flawed. Compared to Mark Bowden's "Black Hawk Down", I felt Wright did a better job showing more raw human emotion, to explain what it means to be a soldier.

I'm writing this review as I'm watching the HBO series that bears the same name as the book. I read the book last year and watching the series brings me back to this great book, a worthwhile read for anybody wanting to know more about what it means to be a soldier.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Boyscouts Here, June 24 2004
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
I'm glad to read a story about the Marines that is uncensored - with the high expectations of the American people set by the greatest generation that ever lived I found it impossible to live up to Steven Spielberg's version of "Band of Brothers". Being a Marine in 1st Recon Bn, Evan Wright's interpretation of our daily lives and experiences are extremely accurate. While reading the book almost a year later I had forgotten some of the details of my own experiences that Wright brought back to life. It was almost like I was living through the war again. Simply put, if you want to know what it is like to be a Marine during this campaign there is no better book at this time. It seems to me that Evan Wright was influenced by nothing but the experiences and the personalities that he absorbed during the war. No one is over exaggerated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get some!, Sept. 23 2008
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Generation Kill (Paperback)
Comparisons are made with this book and Michael Herr's "Dispatches" for the Iraq War generation. I think you need to look at these books as bookends of a long arc of excellent journalism on the "American soldier on the ground" experience.

Look, forget the analysis as all I know is any military unit that bans any country music and calls it "the Special Olympics of music" is one I want to get to know. This book takes you inside that unit and is right up there with Anthony Swofford's "Jarhead" at the top of the heap in books on the modern military.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and instructive, July 13 2004
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
I was a Recon Marine (Bravo Co. 3rd. Plt.) in the first Gulf War and Somalia. I look at this book from the distance of time, for my own experience, and with a history degree to reflect upon. The Marines have not changed much, nor has the command structure. There were good officers and enlisted men, and bad ones. The bad ones being deadly by the nature of the work. Yet, when you go to war you are stuck with what you have. First and foremost Wright illustrates that maxim of war.
Secondly, Wright, if he follows up on the consequences, shows the dillema of a journalist being too close to the war. He is embedded with his subjects and the story himself. For me, he did an outstanding job of staying objective about the chaos and slaughter of war. As well, he shows the American Fighting Man for all the things that he is. Some do not want to hear it but many Marines do look forward to war and that does not change after the first round goes off. But Wright does, in a way, become one of the boys. However, he could not have gotten this story if he had not, Recon Marines tend to not like reporters because they usually get portrayed as ninja like Rambos, which is unreal.
Of course, Wright made a few errors on military details, which an editor should have caught. Reporters of military actions should know more about the military: the structure, rank, equipment and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There are at least a few remarks in the book for which some Marines may unfortunately regret. I don't think journalists should edit themselves but greater care is given to other confidential sources.
Wright got his boots dirty and saw a piece of the military that America has chosen not to look at. This book is true to the American Marine who has to go to war with less than perfect conditions and make decisions that few other humans have to consider.
Semper Fi! (The God Father always had a rhaspy voice.)

5.0 out of 5 stars True but sad, July 10 2004
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
I was with Third Recon in Vietnam. This book is the only real description I have read about the full Recon experience. This is war. Some valor Some horror Today I will buy ten copies of this book and pass them out to people. If you want to know me, read this book that is what I will tell people. I was in Vietnam for a year doing this. How were any of us supposed to have survived? For once our story gets out almost forty years after my time in Vietnam. I will be a Recon ranger till the day I die. Somebody wrote the truth in this book. God help the next generation. We might have to hunt and fight the some of these middle easteran religious fanatics on our own land.
moe

1.0 out of 5 stars A CASE STUDY IN THE STOCKHOLM SYNDROME, June 21 2004
Mitch (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (Hardcover)
As a former Marine and a connoisseur of war literature, I read "Generation Kill" with great interest. While I thought the book did a passable job of describing the war as it unfolded, I found the author's lazy prose and thin research to be disagreeable. "Generation Kill" is essentially a loose collection of flippant observations tacked together with innumerable rumors, myths and other apocrypha conveyed to him by the Marines he was embedded with (such saucy rumors no doubt delighted his editors back in Los Angeles). Because I'm familiar with the events he describes I'm able to debunk a lot of the misguided characterizations and errata he offers up, but most civilian readers, lacking such insights might think that Wright knows his business, which he does not. It was quite obvious to me as I read the book that Wright had done virtually no fact-checking or re-interviewing and never spoke with any Marines outside of the platoon he lived with for the course of the invasion. This type of writing works for Rolling Stone magazine where portions of the book first appeared but in a hardcover book pretending to compete with the likes of "Black Hawk Down," it simply doesn't fly and Wright's stunning lack of research results in numerous errors which are glaringly obvious to anyone familiar with the US military. (He repeatedly misconstrues aircraft, munition types and US military doctrine and training).
Put simply, Wright failed to do his homework, hoping to get by on pure enthusiasm alone, and it shows.
After reading through this misguided tome I was struck by the visceral power of the Stockholm Syndrome (which causes hostages to identify with their captors) and blown away at how easily civilians are swayed by gun-toting servicemen who speak convincingly about warfare. Wright is, in my mind, a well-paid war tourist and was quite obviously so enamored with his newfound comrades that he felt no need to double-check on any of the myths and slander that his subjects floated in his general direction.(In their defense, they probably didn't realize that Wright was going to publish their off-hand comments as established fact.) In "Generation Kill," Wright commits the cardinal sin of journalism: he presents opinion as fact and fails to corroborate many of his assertions. This book inadvertently reveals much of what is wrong with American journalism today. Buyer Beware.
Recommended instead: STORM ON THE HORIZON: KHAFJI--THE BATTLE THAT CHANGED THE COURSE OF THE GULF WAR by David Morris.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Feb. 21 2010
A. Armstrong - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Kill (Paperback)
This book is great!! Wright's writing style has a great flow and it made me want to search down the Rolling Stones articles to find out more info on these interesting people. The only down fall is that after the killer HBO mini series came out he did a afterword for the re release of the book. So I would look for the copy with the movie cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Feb. 12 2010
This review is from: Generation Kill (Paperback)
I watch the television series before, but no hesitation this book was wonderfull and one of the best a read even if I knew the hole story before reading it. But in this book you learn more about the guys in First Recon and there's more detail so I just loved it !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad94d744)

Generation Kill
Generation Kill by Evan Wright (Paperback - Feb. 8 2005)
CDN$ 20.00 CDN$ 14.44