5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Introduction to a Fascinating Heroine [SPOILERS]
I've enjoyed Ms. Harris's works for years, well before this series began, and when I ran across it, I was thrilled.
My first reading, however, proved disappointing. I was used to the lighter, humorous tone of the Aurora Teagarden series and was a bit unprepared for the darker Lily Bard.
And then, I loosened up and let myself go with it, and I'm all the better...
Published on March 27 2003 by C. Hodges

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Beginning to a Series
Published on April 15 2004 by Essay

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Beginning to a Series, April 15 2004
This review is from: Shakespeare's Landlord (Hardcover)
The author was recommended by the same friend who got me started on Laurel K. Hamilton, although she was indicating the vampire series, not the Shakespeare one. However, in reading a bio on the author, I discovered she now lives in my hometown, so figured I'd give her Arkansas based series a try first. The heroine, Lily, shows some signs of potential "Kick Arse Heroine Whom No One Can Defeat" syndrome, which I hope is only my wariness from the hugely disappointing Anita Blake books. However, Lily does frequently fall flat on her face, and perhaps the indications of gathering a harem will be banished in other books. As for the story, it is a nice little murder mystery, if a little too-pat and a bit unsatisfactory on the actual Whodunit. I will try the next to see if she irons out the kinks (one of which is a major geographic goof!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Introduction to a Fascinating Heroine [SPOILERS], March 27 2003
C. Hodges (Little Rock, AR United States) - See all my reviews
And then, I loosened up and let myself go with it, and I'm all the better for it. I have encountered few characters as well drawn as Lily Bard. She is an incredibly complex character, yet painted so deftly that the reader gets a full sense of her person. While it is much easier to accomplish this feat with the first-person, as is used here, Ms. Harris allows us to learn about Lily primarily through her actions and interactions with others.
The plot itself is not out of the ordinary--someone's dead, Lily is suspected, she must find the real killer before the cops close in on her, but it's the main character that makes this novel stand out. Why, oh why hasn't someone bought the movie rights to this series?!?

5.0 out of 5 stars To See or Not to See..., Dec 19 2002
Silmarwen (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
To Lily Bard, the small, sleepy town of Shakespeare, Arkansas is the perfect place to hide her past. After being brutally gang raped years before, Lily has painstakingly rebuilt her life. She is now must stronger physically and is gaining confidence in her martial arts studies. However, she still disguises her looks and maintains a low profile. After all, housecleaners aren't exactly noticed. But all of that changes when she witnesses a murder...
Suddenly she is faced with a difficult choice - to share what she has learned with the police and lose her hard-won anonymity and gain unwanted attention or to pretend that she never saw anything. Then her married karate instructor starts showing a passionate interest in her and her plan of a private, well-ordered life comes unhinged. Meanwhile, the killer of an unlamented landlord is lurking nearby. And while Lily knows the inside dirt on her neighbors' dust, drawers and private lives, she must admit to a secret of her own: that in the shadow of a brutal murder, she is coming alive again...
This is a short, well-written mystery that will hook you on the Shakespeare/Lily Bard series written so ably by Charlaine Harris. Lily is a fascinating character as she is so strong/tough and yet has her softer side and her weaknesses. In short, she is human. The way she solves the murder is quite entertaining as she uses her knowledge of cleaning the various locations in Shakespeare to eliminate suspects as she goes along. I found the book to be quite humorous as Lily has a wry, dry sense of humor that is very appealing. I highly recommend this book to mystery buffs and for those who enjoyed any of Mrs. Harris' other books. It is unfortunate that books 2 & 3 in the series are out of print, but if I was able to hunt them down, you can too - its well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lily Bard is a character worth knowing., July 4 1998
By A Customer
I didn't get caught up in this book for the mystery. I cared so little about the mystery that I didn't try to solve it. I was too caught up with the heroine, Lily Bard. I understand how she feels. What I went through was extremely mild compared to the horror that happened to Ms. Bard, though I was so young I didn't have a name for what happened to me. I must compliment Ms. Harris for her portrayal of a former victim (a term I prefer to "survivor" because it contains both the idea that the victimhood is in the past and that the person was wronged, which "survivor" does not -- and I know English too well to be able to convince myself that I would feel "empowered" by calling myself a "survivor", thank you very much). I find Ms. Bard's feelings about her past utterly convincing. I not only have NO problem with the decision she made during her ordeal, I applaud it (and I spit on her family for their reaction)! The only thing I didn't like about this book was the fact that a separated man didn't wait until his divorce was final before having sex with a woman other than his couldn't-be-"ex"-soon-enough wife. I am getting the sequel. (Note to Ms. Harris: These days the term is "safer sex" -- condoms aren't foolproof protection. I am glad that you bother to address the topic, though. Too many writers don't.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging heroine, flawed plot, Aug. 3 1997
By A Customer
Don't get me wrong: I liked Lily Bard. She's strong, private, has secrets, is self-disciplined and self reliant, keeps in good physical shape and can destroy a man with a quick karate chop. Besides, her house is obsessively neat and she brings that same sense of order to the other houses she cleans for people.

And I like Charlaine Harris' view of small town America, with its tawdry secrets and perversions. The town of Shakespeare is populated with people I know, and Lily Bard and I chuckled at how seriously they take themselves and their small passions.

But why would anyone want to kill the landlord? He was no better or worse than any of the rest of them, and his shadowy self is not finely enough drawn in this novel to provoke even the smallest curiousity about why he was mangled and his corpse elaborately hidden in the apartment complex. Lily Bard and the society she lives in are the reason I read the book with interest: the plot is superfluous at best

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and quick read, June 23 2001
Shirley B. Gedney "ladyariane" (Bridgeport, CT) - See all my reviews
I think Harris is an excellent writer and I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the second I've read by her. I thought Lily was a very complex, fully developed and three-dimensional character, with whom I felt an immediate empathy. The other characters are as skillfully crafted and the story was both suspenseful and exciting. I read this in one evening, so I would say it's one I couldn't put down. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting start to the series., June 11 2004
"celes1" (Havre de Grace, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare's Landlord (Paperback)
Usually the mystery genre isn't really my thing but this book is an exception. The mystery itself wasn't really anything special but the heroine is the most interesting character I've come across in a long time. I can't really say anything more about her without giving too much away. Fans of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series should give this series a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this author a lot..., Aug. 18 2002
I like the works of author Charlaine Harris a lot and this book is no exception. I enjoyed this story. I thought the plot was interesting and intriguing. I liked the characters and the even-flowing dialogue. "Shakespeare's Landlord" is a story that most mystery lovers will appreciate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and interesting, April 24 2003
ProudBookWorm "jbt-wny" (Reynoldsburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this first book in the Lily Bard/Shakespeare series. The mystery is not one with too many twists and turns, but the characters, especially the protagonist, are nice to know. I have read each of the next four books and enjoyed each one a little bit more than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, June 3 2014
Awesome, I have read most of her different series and really enjoy them. I took this one on vacation and ended up having to download the other 4 to my kindle

Shakespeare's Landlord
Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 1 2005)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49