5.0 out of 5 stars Kirk is giving the old man a run for his money!, Aug. 30 2005
Tracy Stillman "Space Cadet" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar Shift (Hardcover)
Some say Cussler writes for men, but I disagree. What red blooded American woman would not want to spend the night with Dirk Pitt? He is the original man's man. I have to admit, I have not been as enthusiastic about the Kirk Austin series, but it started to grow on me and I think "Polar Shift" maybe as good as the best of the Pitt Series. I won't rehash the plot except to say the plot has to do with some bad guys figuring out a way to switch the magnetic poles causing real havoc for the planet (I guess this has really happened naturally in the past, which I did not know). Of course Kirk and his NUMA crew are the only ones who can stop the evil madman. I got caught up in real suspense here, there are some unexpected twists, and this time out success is not guaranteed-at least I did not think so. Most of you who read Cussler know what thrilling, adventure to expect, and you won't be disappointed here.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, Jan. 23 2014
John T C (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Polar Shift (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed every chapter of this book.The author had no problems getting the point or objective across to the reader.And he did it wonderfully in this fast-paced technothriller. Clive Cluster accomplishes one of the greatest anti-globalization messages I have ever read with this book. My other recommendations would have to include Collapse, Union Moujik, Guns Gens and Steel.You'll also probably enjoy them too if you enjoyed Polar Shift.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Jan. 30 2013
This review is from: Polar Shift (Mass Market Paperback)
Loved it. very entertaining. Cussler always comes through with a great plot and ending. Will always reach for a Cussler book

4.0 out of 5 stars Reason, Nov. 14 2011
Ronald Eric Head (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar Shift (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed my first Kurt Austen novel but it did not to come up to the Dirk Pitt novels I have read. However I have another Kurt Austen to read so we will see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-Pounding Surprises Threaten Kurt Austin and the NUMA Special Assignments Team, Aug. 28 2007
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I strongly encourage you to listen to the unabridged CD narrated by Scott Brick instead of reading this book. Brick has a wonderful way with voices and accents that give the story depth and suspense you won't find on the printed page.

The book opens in the closing days of the Second World War in East Prussia as a shadowy Austrian escorts a renowned Hungarian scientist away from the advancing Soviets. The Austrian turns out to be a member of the resistance who wants the scientist's knowledge to remain secret from governments that might use that knowledge to create super weapons. This part of the story is as vivid as any great World War II spy novel I've read.

Moving to the present, an enormous container ship finds itself facing unprecedented large waves. How will it survive? You'll find yourself enjoying some of the strong emotions that A Perfect Storm provided.

Kurt Austin is leading a kayak race when he's suddenly attacked by a killer whale. That shouldn't be happening. What's going on?
Next, the Trouts are off taking some sea water samples when they find themselves unexpectedly drawn into a giant whirlpool. The rescue attempt is simply scintillating!

From there, you'll learn a lot about geology and how the Earth creates electromagnetic waves.

Kurt Austin soon perceives that there's a hidden key to the mysterious events and it all seems to be tied up to a beautiful young scientist who has a theory she's trying to prove about the extinction of woolly mammoths. Others get the same idea ahead of Austin. Can he arrive in time to save her? What other surprises await him?

As an interlude, you'll also experience a most unusual Civil War reenactment.

Starting the book with so many interesting incidents sets a high expectation for what's to come. Unfortunately, the book's ending offers a high octane threat to keep you interested . . . but the resolution doesn't satisfy the desire for one more great sequence to cap what is otherwise an extremely interesting thriller.

The book has a very interesting theme about the potential to use resources for good or evil purposes. I encourage you to draw on that theme to think about resources that are almost always used in harmful ways. How could those resources be used instead for almost always helpful results?

Enjoy this whale of a tale or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar shift, Aug. 30 2005
Doris (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar Shift (Hardcover)
I enjoyed every chapter of this book.The author had no problems getting the point or objective across to the reader.And he did it wonderfully in this fast-paced technothriller. Clive Cluster accomplishes one of the greatest anti-globalization messages I have ever read with this book. My other recommendations would have to include COLLAPSE,UNION MOUJIK,GUNS, GEMS AND STEEL.You'll also probably enjoy thm too if you enjoyed POLAR SHIFT.

Polar Shift
Polar Shift by Paul Kemprecos (Mass Market Paperback - June 5 2007)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79