Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

The Lunatic Cafe
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$15.34+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on September 12, 2002
Lots of people like this series. After reading this book I must say I'm not one of them, though I haven't read the other Anita Blake books. I knew who the bad guys were the first time Hamilton introduced them,which I always find annoying, and after the initial chaos of acclimiting to Hamilton's world and characters I found that events followed rather predictably. This is because no situation is ever resolved. Anita, the heroine, simply handles the crisis of the moment, never addressing the actual problem, so it comes as no surprise when the problems recur. The rest of the book is smut. Not even good smut, you understand. Anita also lends credence to the whole your-lips-say-no-but-your-eyes-say-yes thing. Well, if that floats your boat it is fine by me, but like I said it isn't even good smut.
I did like the world Hamilton has created. I found myself most interested in how all these supernatural creatures had merged into modern society, and I loved the idea that weres would have legal protection. There wasn't a lot of detail about this, which I thought was a shame. Even with that, I would not pickup another book of this series.
on September 6, 2000
I've read the first four books in this series. I have a hard time suspending disbelief with Ms Anita Blake. No human or vampire could possibly be such a wisecracking pain in the Ass and still live. She should have been killed off in Guilty Pleasures and Jean-Claude made the protagonist. Ms. Hamilton writes her action scenes well but falters when the main character opens her mouth. She is insufferably glib and smug! The dialogue started out as incredibly wooden, but has been glacially improving. I also believe that the villains aren't as threatening as they might be. As a method of heightening the dramatic appeal, someone close to Ms. Blake, Richard, Irving, Ronnie perhaps, must be sacrificed to make her quest to raise & kill the undead more personal. Maybe this will happen in the next book. Anita Blake is nothing but a bully, and a moralistic hypocrite as well, shooting first asking questions later, but NO premarital sex. Skewed outlook, if you ask me. I'll keep hoping the undead win, and Jean Claude gets her in the end. It would serve the girl right to rise as her worst nightmare. For less bubble gum, more artful gothic novels, try Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Children of Night Series. PS I didn't buy this drivel, its a loaner
on November 3, 2004
This is a banal text, poorly written in every regard. Though Hamilton may have a sense for action beats in her works (which she should at this point in her incredibly-long career), everything else is marred by her lack of skill at dialogue, description and knowing when to sit back and let the story work, rather than filling it with endless, meaningless "witty" quips from her narrator. The characters are stock and unlikeable, but only because they are completely devoid of originality.
If her other works are anything like this one, then she will have a statue erected in her name in the literary hall of shame before it is all said and done.
on November 3, 2004
Laurell K. Hamilton's "The Lunatic Café" is a substandard work of fiction with no redeeming literary or entertainment values.
Hamilton's main failings lie in her very basic ability to write interesting characters, description, and dialogue. Her characters are broad and stereotypical: the hard, cold, and strong heroine; the sexy foppish vampire; the sensitive but strong lover with a dark side. She fills her dialogue with needless explanations of otherwise subtle observations and recognizable jokes. If, by the end of the book, it is not made clear to you in the most obvious ways possible that Anita Blake is a hard, take-no-guff woman, then there's something wrong.
Ultimately, Hamilton simply fails to create erotic/horrific atmosphere. Her love scenes fall limp and her shocks and terrors that could be deeply disturbing and taboo-erotic pass with a terrible banality that plagues the whole book.
Because of Hamilton's penchant for conclusions that never conclude the plots introduced in the story, you won't even have the satisfaction of saying you finished reading her book. Like bad fan-fiction that managed to get published, "Lunatic Café" should be seriously avoided.