5.0 out of 5 stars Virgil Flowers in a spy thriller!
Published 19 months ago by Borja

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as usual
I love John Sandford but this book was not as good as usual. I was a little disappointed by it but if I had the choice, I would still buy it!
Published on Nov. 17 2008 by Trekker

5.0 out of 5 stars Virgil Flowers in a spy thriller!, Nov. 16 2013
I always enjoy John Sansford's books. His wicked sense of humour and his well constructed plots make for a most pleasant reading experience. This book tells the story of an unusual case for country cop Virgil Flowers, involving retribution from mysterious killers for Vietnam war era misdeeds by some American former soldiers and mercenaries. As usual, our friend Virgil has some heated exchanges with some spicy ladies while trying to figure out why, who, what and when. There is a fair amount of action in this book which I found to be a pleasant cliffhanger. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Fast Read!, Feb. 13 2011
This review is from: Heat Lightning (Paperback)
This is my first book by Mr John Sandford, which was recommended by a friend. I was not disappointed! I read this one while soaking up the sun in Cuba!

This book read so fast I could not turn the pages quick enough. I do not know Mr. Sandford's books so I cannot compare with his other writings but this one I did enjoy and I will read his others!

As the Post and Courier said "Enthralling and plausible." I agree 100%

RECOMMENDED

- Michel

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrelenting action throughout the myriad of forests, lakes, and rivers in Minnesota, Jan. 8 2015
Donald Farley - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the third novel by John Sandford that I have read, and I have enjoyed all of them. This story features Virgil Flowers, a police detective with a unique character working for the Minnesota BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension). The plot centers around a series of assassinations preceded by torture with the bodies deposited at war memorials. In each case a lemon is jammed in the mouth of the deceased. Early on in the story there appears to be a 40 -year old link to an event occurring during the final days of the Vietnam war.

There is plenty of action taking place throughout Minnesota right up to the US/Canada boundary in the Rainy River area. Flowers is quick to follow up leads in his casual unassuming manner. He does his best case analysis by going fishing on any of the wide choice of lakes and rivers in Minnesota. He even takes one of the female suspects fishing. There is subtle humor throughout the text offset somewhat by the brutal torture suffered by the victims. The interaction and cooperation between the various police officers is interesting, especially in the case of the Red Lake Indian Reserve which has its own police force.

4.0 out of 5 stars SOLID, Nov. 26 2011
This review is from: Heat Lightning (Audio CD)
A very good writer w/ a very good main character- much better than the usual police stories. There's so much schlock out there- Harlan Coben, Sandra Brown- yuck-so much cliche. Sandford's dialogue is real and believable. Virgil Flowers is a true personality which puts the author way ahead of the pack. Sandford packs more content and punch tighter than these sprawling,disjointed, ill-thought out opuses filled w/ stock good guys and villains by the likes of James Patterson. All these authors deal out predictable pablum. Sandford's work is for grown-ups looking for a satisfying read concerning authentically engaging characters in unique situations. Memorable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you like John Sandford?, Dec 4 2013
This review is from: Heat Lightning (Hardcover)
He writes about Virgil Flowers's escapades in this book and it is as good as all his other books with Virgil as his main character. Your interest is held throughout the book and at times it was difficult to put it down. It is different from Sandford's Prey series but still an excellent read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as usual, Nov. 17 2008
Trekker (Markham, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Lightning (Hardcover)

Heat Lightning
Heat Lightning by John Sandford (Paperback - Oct. 6 2009)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92