5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 7 2012
Sarah Dimaria (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This was an excellent read. I absolutely loved it and would definitely re-read.
The character Minny was my absolute favorite. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an enjoyable read!, Dec 29 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised by this clever story and enjoyed it immensely. Kathryn Stockett is a terrific storyteller and uses her witty writing style to document a very difficult time in history through the eyes of three unique women. I was immediately drawn in and loved how the story moved back and forth among the women. The characters are vibrant and lively, and it is fun to witness their growth over the course of the novel. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who is a fan of historical fiction or enjoys some good old fashioned storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of all the Praise and Hype!, Dec 20 2011
Lydia - Novel Escapes (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I finally got around to reading the The Help. I thought I would be disappointed after all the hype which is usually what happens when I don't jump on a `great' book I keep hearing about, but that was far from the case with this one.

I dragged this novel along to a temp job where I was reception relief and my only responsibility was transferring incoming calls. `The computer is solely for your enjoyement' I quote my trainer as she waved to the solitaire game she was playing when I arrived. So, after I got bored of solitaire and Facebook, I presumed reading would be OK and dug The Help out of my bag, worrying about how I would become immersed in a book amidst multiple interruptions. I worried needlessly. The fact that I had to tear my eyes away from the pages numerous times and it still didn't prevent me from becoming immediately absorbed in this story is evidence of what an easy read The Help is as well as how captivating and entertaining it is right from the first page. I enjoyed it so much I grew aggravated when the phone rang and my dialing skills improved with each call so I could get back to reading. I read over 150 pages that afternoon.

The Help is all plot and character. There is little description besides character's observations which is my perfect read. The potential of danger lurking made this a tense read at times and yet I laughed frequently, which surprised me the most about this immensely enjoyable tale.

The characters, oh, the characters. Such incredibly vivid, amazing, colourful women graced these pages. They felt so real that I thought they would jump off the page at me. Written from three women's perspectives, I wasn't at all discouraged as the story flipped around to each narrator. We see the world from Minnie's feisty point of view and Skeeter's humanitarian and questioning eyes as well as my favourite, Aibileen, whose love for little Mae Mobbley knows no bounds even though she knows she's going to have to leave her eventually. My heart ached with their every scene.

This story was so thought provoking and contained such a wonderful commentary on women and friendship and trust and love. Although Stockett could have taken this novel in terrifying directions, she didn't. Instead, while maintaining a strong undercurrent of danger, she kept the story uplifting and upbeat. She focused on the strength of these women, their tenacity, hope and courage and I adored the focus on the good lurking behind closed doors. My favourite line was also Stockett's favourite which addresses female relationships. No spoilers here as it's towards the end of the novel. You'll just have to find it yourself...or if you need a little help it's addressed in the afterward.

So, if you've been holding off on reading The Help because you don't think it will live up to the hype, don't. This is the kind of novel that hits with a solid punch and won't be forgotten easily. I will definitely remember this novel forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Price!, Dec 14 2011
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I couldn't buy the paperback version at the bookstore for this price! Great price and easy shopping! With two toddlers, online shopping is much easier for me. Love Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Nov. 21 2011
This review is from: The Help: Movie Tie-In (Paperback)
Received my book, was in great condition, shipping took awhile but not senders fault, was fault of customs. Great Seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, Nov. 20 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Tout à fait satisfaite du service reçu et du produit. Le produit est arrivé dans les délais prévus et en bon état. Merci.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilly's Hatreds, Nov. 13 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Sometimes I was afraid to read on because I was so invested in these women that I didn't want anything bad to happen to them. A great read for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Nov. 6 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Enjoyable read. I liked the era and what was happening then. Slow start but great finish. Can't wait to see the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Breathtaking, Oct. 18 2011
A. Mancini (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Definitely a fantastic book, and is without question one of the best of the year. I actually believe this book should replace To Kill a Mockingbird, or be read along with it during the Jim Crow units of English classes everywhere. It has a modern feel, despite being about the past and honestly is just more engaging. I've never seen such a touchy subject be taken on with such gusto and heart. The characters end up feeling like family, and you'll find yourself reacting with them and all their emotions.
Overall, it seems that everyone is in love with this book, and with good reason. What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Oct. 10 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a beautiful read to lead up to and through the Thanksgiving celebrations. An inspirational read for us to be mindful of the numerous labourers, friends, neighbours, colleages who provide service and meaning to make each of our lives easier. This book is all about respect and tugs at the heartstrings each and every chapter.

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36