5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth reading, Sept. 19 2011
K. Knitel "Kat" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This is chick lit that I still suggested some men read, knowing they would enjoy it. Nice story, really well written, it didn't change my life but I really enjoyed it. Worth the read, good for a lazy sunday afternoon, and I think a book club could appreciate it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I fell in love, Sept. 17 2011
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I have to say I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a really long time. This book was to put in simply, amazing. I fell so hard in love with it, I couldn't put it down anywhere I went. The prospect of finishing this novel saddened me in way that I felt as though I knew the character's myself and that I was losing them. Kudos to the author Catherine Stockett, because she honestly deserves it. This book made me think, laugh, cry, and smile. The plot was amazing, and it had me rooting for Miss Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny from start to finish. Their voices and their stories are forever going to be in my head. I want to give a big thank you to the author, because I honetly couldn't have loved it more. To anyone who hasn't read it, please do. You will NOT be dissapointed. It's a once in a lifetime kind of book.

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A book not to miss!, Sept. 17 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This is a phenomenal book, cleanly written with great consideration for the subject and characters. Well constructed, with a specific voice for each of the narrators, it provides a wonderful and diverse perspective. The "big" moments are treated as sympathetically as the "little" moments, all of them filled with subtle undertones. Truly, a stunning read that stays with you. Highly recommended and heartwarming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Sept. 16 2011
Frederic Jacques (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book relates a touching story in a pivotal period of America. Taking place in Jackson (Mississippi), it gives a different insight of the last times of segregation from the inside. The characters are bigger than nature. This is an inspired and inspiring story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlighting and yet funny!, Sept. 11 2011
M. Douglas - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a great read. A must read. This book allows us to have a really good glimpse into the lives of the black women that were trapped into a period of time that they didn't have the right to their voice in a white mans world. The many different people that are presented into the book at first confuse you till you have them staightened out. I did find that it was difficult to read this story reading it as a woman that is black would speak. It only took me a couple of chapters to get the hang of it though. We used this book for our book club and we had excellent discussions. The movie is out and I can't wait to watch it.
Sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one!, Sept. 9 2011
K. LENOVER "mellowing" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Couldn't miss out on reading this one. Everywhere I went friends and relatives were raving about it. I don't usually 'go with the crowd' but this novel was in your face wherever you went. Bought one for myself and then one for my mother. As soon as I finished the book I followed it up by going to the movie with my sister. Both the book and the movie are well worth the time. You'll end up caring about these women just as much as we did. P.S. Take a kleenex or two with you to the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Sept. 5 2011
Gail Cumberbatch "jookin" (canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
AMAZING read! Couldn't put it down. The humor was just always at the right time for this not-discussed, taboo topic. Can't wait to see the movie and discuss it in my book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indulgent, Sept. 3 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book was perfectly written. Blending hard truths with a cast of characters that you cannot wait to get back to. The characters become your friends and you want to call them at the end of the book to see what happens next. I couldn't put it down and cannot wait to read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Husband loved it too!, Aug. 26 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book was great from start to finish. My husband, who is not a reader at all, picked up the book one day (before I had even gotten a chance to finish it!) and immediately became engrossed in it too. It was a fight from then on who got to read. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs Are Still Amazing, Aug. 22 2011
This review is from: The Help: Movie Tie-In (Paperback)
It may only be a piffle of a film next to its immediate predecessor, but songs such as "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "The Night Before," and of course the title tune will always be classics, making this ripe for rediscovery by future generations.

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36