5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Nov. 6 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Enjoyable read. I liked the era and what was happening then. Slow start but great finish. Can't wait to see the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Breathtaking, Oct. 18 2011
A. Mancini (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Definitely a fantastic book, and is without question one of the best of the year. I actually believe this book should replace To Kill a Mockingbird, or be read along with it during the Jim Crow units of English classes everywhere. It has a modern feel, despite being about the past and honestly is just more engaging. I've never seen such a touchy subject be taken on with such gusto and heart. The characters end up feeling like family, and you'll find yourself reacting with them and all their emotions.
Overall, it seems that everyone is in love with this book, and with good reason. What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Oct. 10 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
What a beautiful read to lead up to and through the Thanksgiving celebrations. An inspirational read for us to be mindful of the numerous labourers, friends, neighbours, colleages who provide service and meaning to make each of our lives easier. This book is all about respect and tugs at the heartstrings each and every chapter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Oct. 8 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I thought this book was engaging right from the beginning and enjoyed I my way right through. I would definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYALBLE, Oct. 8 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I read this book in two days and found it quite enjoyable. It's another view of the south and the struggles during the '60's from a part of society that we don't often hear about.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE HELP, Oct. 6 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
JUST LOVE THIS BOOK ,CANNT BELIEVE PEOPLE TREATED HUMAN BEINGS THIS WAY ......BUT THEY DID ,&KUDOS TO ROSA PARKS ...BLESS HER SOUL

5.0 out of 5 stars SURPRISED!, Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
When I started to read "THE HELP" I thought it was going to be more of a light read book, why, I don't know, maybe because I watched a couple commercials about the movie. It was very interesting and heartfelt the way the story grew in depth. Depicting the seriousness of the situation and what was at risk, while bringing out the personalities of the characters. I felt it was very well done. I really enjoyed this book. I believe the writer made you feel part of what was going on. It was also tied into historic events which made it very realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett was absolutely amazing. I could not put it down. For what is not a funny topic, this book had me laughing out loud every night. At the end of the book the author thanks seven people for "laughing, even at the parts that weren't funny". I assume that she must not realize how funny her book really is because I am sure that I was laughing at all the same parts. The characters are so well developed that when you read this book you feel like you know them, whether you want to or not. When you get to hear what is going on in "the helps" head or their life outside their job you cannot help but laugh. Taken out of context maybe not so funny, but when you are into the story what Minny and Aibileen think or say becomes HILARIOUS!
Of course, there are many parts that are not so funny. I only cried once, I was angry sometimes too, but I laughed every single night.
Everyone will have a different experience with The Help. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Oct. 1 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This is the best book I've read in a long time. I couldn't put it down. When I had to, I couldn't wait to pick it up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The highlight of my reading year, Sept. 27 2011
Gwen Hawkins (Ruby Lake, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
' and I read a lot. The honest portrayal of the characters, showing traits combining all humanity's strengths and weaknesses, without prejudice, allowed the reader to live among them all, wishing to hurry along the changes needing to be made ' some of which are still in the process. This book could and should make a major contribution toward peace and justice.

‹ Previous | 111 12 1317 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36