5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 111 12 1316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Sept. 5 2011
Gail Cumberbatch "jookin" (canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
AMAZING read! Couldn't put it down. The humor was just always at the right time for this not-discussed, taboo topic. Can't wait to see the movie and discuss it in my book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indulgent, Sept. 3 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book was perfectly written. Blending hard truths with a cast of characters that you cannot wait to get back to. The characters become your friends and you want to call them at the end of the book to see what happens next. I couldn't put it down and cannot wait to read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Husband loved it too!, Aug. 26 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book was great from start to finish. My husband, who is not a reader at all, picked up the book one day (before I had even gotten a chance to finish it!) and immediately became engrossed in it too. It was a fight from then on who got to read. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs Are Still Amazing, Aug. 22 2011
This review is from: The Help: Movie Tie-In (Paperback)
It may only be a piffle of a film next to its immediate predecessor, but songs such as "You're Gonna Lose That Girl," "The Night Before," and of course the title tune will always be classics, making this ripe for rediscovery by future generations.

4.0 out of 5 stars the Help, Aug. 20 2011
This review is from: The Help: Movie Tie-In (Paperback)
I found the book an easy read and always wanting to know "what happens next". Hard not to empathize for what the maids had to go through with their difficult and spoiled youthful employers. The love for their young "charges" was heartwarming and their sense of humour wonderful especially when they got together with their black friends. Seeing the movie right after finishing the book was also fun but without a doubt, as usual, the book is always far better. I would recommend this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I see this book as a broadway hit!, Aug. 18 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. I knew I would after the first chapter and just couldn't put it down until I was done. I thought about Abileen, Minny, Miss Skeeter and even Miss Hilly long after I put it down and began to drift off to sleep every night. I swear the voice of Abileen floated to me in my dreams....rich, strong but with a quiet nice about it...I can still hear her and all 'them' women. :)

This book...will not only be a classic, as the commercials predict, but I believe it'll go to broadway, and I have never said that before about a book. I have bought the book in electronic format but I plan to save a little money to buy most of the women I know a copy to read, for their Christmas presents. It's just that good.

I finished the book last night at 11 pm, and already I'm missing the girls... *wistful smile*

4.0 out of 5 stars The Help, Aug. 18 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Good book. Well written. I thought it might dive a little more into the feelings of the characters then it did. I looked forward to reading it and got through it quickly and enjoyed all the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite, Aug. 15 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I knew after only 50 pages that I would love this book. The stories and characters made the story feel so real, like it could have actually happened. It was extremely well written, and I liked how many things stemmed off from the main story, making it not just about racism and how it's bad, but how it can change your life whether you are black or white. As a teenager not living in the states, I have never had to experience extreme racism. I did not live through these times, but I still found the book extremely eye-opening and interesting. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone- I truly believe this is one of those books that is one day going to be considered a classic that should be read by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Aug. 15 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I can't believe this is the first book Kathryn Stockett has written. I can't imagine what a challenge it would be to write from the perspective of a black maid in the 60's, but I think she nailed it. I adored the black maids. They are such lovable characters, and I was touched by some if the strong relationships between the black and white women.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockette, Aug. 11 2011
Julia Csak (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This is a tremendously well-written book by Kathryn Stockette. She has embraced the subject truthfully yet delicately. This is a true account of racial tension in the South in the 60's. It is important to understand the book from both sides since, in many cases, the employer was just doing what she had been taught by her mother and grandmother before that. Fortunately we have come a long way since then. I would highly recommend reading it.

‹ Previous | 111 12 1316 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb1762a08)

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36