5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, March 25 2014
Sigie (St-Romuald, Qubec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
As a woman, I greatly appreciated the book. It's a great story with also a great perspective on what it was like to be a woman (black or white) back then. I you saw the movie and didn't think much of it, rest assured, the book is a thousand times better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie, March 5 2014
Henrie Timmers "The Night Hawk" (Wallaceburg, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
The book, "The Help" is an insightful look at the relationships between 'colored' servants, the people they worked for and the racial rift as seen from the perspective of the servants.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book. I enjoy reading books about the south in this and early times like Gone With the Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
This book is a page turner. It gives us a look back in history. It was easy to visualize the environment and settings in one's mind as one was reading the book. I was not surprised when this book got turned into a movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read, Jan. 1 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
Great story, so much reality. Helps to understand the plight of the AFrican Americans in the 60's some humor and absusive sitiations

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Dec 28 2013
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book overall but was a bit disappointed with the abrupt end. Would recommend to others. Interested in seeing the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I don't live in those times!, Dec 13 2013
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Wonderful portrayal of life in the 1950's America; the superficial "society ladies" and
their snobby prejudices. We get to know the brave black women and one brave white
woman, who dare to think for themselves. Very well written, so much so that I slowed
down towards the end of the book, not wanting it to finish!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read, Dec 1 2013
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
While I love the movie which I saw first I knew the book would have more to it and I was right. I just couldn't put it down I felt like I was right there with them in the 1960's Mississippi and I got to know the characters in more depth. I just loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, Nov. 14 2013
John T C (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
For a start, I have to applaud Kathryn for taking on such an theme and for the depth of her creativity. It is marvelous. It is written in an engaging and expressive manner that I find appealing. The descriptions are rich, the characters are intuitively observed and the smooth flow of the story made it a compelling read. In fact, the full richness of this story is so glaring for anyone who starts reading it to see. Read it after devouring Disciples of Fortune. These stories helped wrap up my week very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, spellbinding, Nov. 8 2013
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Incredibly well written book. It draws you in early and doesn't let go until you finish it. It really reflects the types of cruelty, discrimination, and social hierarchy that can be widely accepted when it's the social norm. I liked the message about the sacrifices people are willing to make to fit in and belong. It's full of hope and courage and the story will linger with you long after you finish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabeb5624)

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36