5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job. I loved how the story was written from the perspectives of the different women. I enjoyed seeing the world through their very different eyes and watching them develop throughout the story. The beautifully descriptive writing drew me in and made me feel like I was right there. This is an intense story of...
Published on Feb. 10 2009 by Tara Robertson

2.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again
I kept hearing all the excitement this book and its movie are generating, so I bought a copy and read it cover-to-cover. The author certainly has talent as a writer but I am disappointed at yet another *Great White Hope* story where groups or generations of disenfranchised minorities are powerless until the white hero or heroine swoops in and liberates these poor folk -...
Published on Sept. 27 2011 by P. Sibun

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, July 6 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
Traps you in from page one. A real treat to the mind. Best book i read in a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 26 2014
Mark Nenadov "arm-chair reader" (Essex, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
The Help is an excellent read. It really drew me in. Normally it takes me at least a month or two to finish a book of 200 or so pages. This book weighs in at just over 450 pages and I finished it in well under a month. That's pretty remarkable for me. At no section of the book did I get impatient or become tempted to skip some pages. It was captivating throughout.

The reader is treated to a rich portrayal of the complex social life of white and black women in Mississippi in the early 1960s. Filled with racism, alienation, ambivalence, and vicious ugliness, no doubt, but also camaraderie and sisterhood. The characters are well done: Eugenia (Skeeter), Miss Hilly, Aibileen, Celia, and Minny, are especially well done, to name a few.

Stockett makes the gutsy (and, successful, I believe) move of trying to capture the dialect of the two black maid narrators (the other narrator is a white woman, Eugenia/Skeeter). For example, they say things such as: "Law, I'm thirsty" or "gone done". The effect can be jarring at first. But, as the reader gets used to it, and it fits really well. This linguistic twist certainly adds to the appeal.

Overall, it is believable, moving, and engaging, especially for one who is interested in the South and the civil rights movement.

This book generally has gotten rave reviews. On Goodreads, as of June 2014, it has over 1,000,000 ratings, with a mere 9% below four stars. That's pretty impressive. It does, though, have some harsh critics. The less than 1% who gave it a one star rating are fairly vocal. Though I regard myself as a fairly critical reader, I am not one of those critics. I loved it. I say, go and pick up the book and give it a try!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not as thought provoking as I'd hoped, June 20 2014
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
Decided to read this since the movie received good reviews. While an interesting read, I was hoping for a more emotional tale, given its topic and setting. For example, the writing doesn't do justice to the danger behind what Skeeter and her subjects are doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, May 28 2014
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I really like this book. I like the story. It is a way to tell people what had happened in the past and how the Help were treated. I watched the movie after I read the book but the movie is nothing compare to this. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, March 25 2014
Sigie (St-Romuald, Qubec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
As a woman, I greatly appreciated the book. It's a great story with also a great perspective on what it was like to be a woman (black or white) back then. I you saw the movie and didn't think much of it, rest assured, the book is a thousand times better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie, March 5 2014
Henrie Timmers "The Night Hawk" (Wallaceburg, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
The book, "The Help" is an insightful look at the relationships between 'colored' servants, the people they worked for and the racial rift as seen from the perspective of the servants.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book. I enjoy reading books about the south in this and early times like Gone With the Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
This book is a page turner. It gives us a look back in history. It was easy to visualize the environment and settings in one's mind as one was reading the book. I was not surprised when this book got turned into a movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read, Jan. 1 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
Great story, so much reality. Helps to understand the plight of the AFrican Americans in the 60's some humor and absusive sitiations

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Dec 28 2013
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book overall but was a bit disappointed with the abrupt end. Would recommend to others. Interested in seeing the movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Paperback - April 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36