Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on June 8, 2010
If you take the sex out, their is not much of a story. I realy like Anita Blake books. But all-out sex, is just gettting borring now.

I was hopping after Skin Trade, as Anita was doing some real hunting in this book, things would be looking. But no.
How about some action again! Let's get Anita out Hunting the bad paranormals!
In one book she also hints about meeting Micah's family, lets me them.
I hope Laurell k. Hamilton reads some of thease reviews.
on June 9, 2010
Bullet, the 19th book in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton, made parts of my recent 30+ hour road trip fly by. I always buy these books immediately when they come out, and read them in one sitting, despite sleep deprivation or social setting. Hamilton brings back characters from earlier books that I had been missing, including Jean-Claude and Asher, who despite being fairly central characters early on, had been appearing less and less often. Readers are also introduced to a fresh batch of new characters as Anita and crew are once again embroiled in Vampire/Were politics with very little say in the matter.

Many fans of the series have started to pull away, citing a lack of plot or an over abundance of sex masquerading as a storyline. I read these books like crack. It is entirely possible that I am a little biased when I say I really enjoy ever book in this series. They are one of only a few series that I make a point of buying almost immediately when a new one comes out. That being said, it does pain me a bit to admit that I agree with some of what the nay-sayers complain about. As of late, there has been a focus on Anita developing her metaphysical abilities (due to a glitch in the vampire/were/necromancer triumvirates she's a part of) through sex. However, Hamilton isn't just writing sex for sex's sake.

The novels no longer have an open and shut preternatural crime in them. The bad guys are taking longer to be developed, and the fight scenes are fewer and farther between. We are instead following along as Anita comes to terms with powers she hasn't felt comfortable using, learning to control the ardeur and warp it into a power she is able to use. Anita, and many of the main characters are forced to swallow their pride (no pun intended for those that have been following the story so far) and work together if they are going to fight the big evil.

Anita starts the series as all but virginal, and as her powers develop she is drawn into more and more sexual relationships and situations. She is become stronger and more controlled as the stories proceed towards the big evil we've been waiting for. There is a certain amount of buildup necessary, unlike the earlier books where the bad guys were discovered and taken out within the same novel.

I would like to see a bit more fighting or crime solving (though Anita isn't as popular with the police forces as she once was), instead of the crime fighting by remote that came up in this novel, but I am by no means turned off by the course of events Hamilton is taking us through in the last few books. I can see in Bullet a return to the more intricate plots that originally hooked me to this series.
on June 18, 2010
This book starts with Anita, and everyone she loves, watching a children's recital. We are re-introduced to many of the characters from the previous novels at this time, as they are either in the audience, or are participating in the show. From there, things get a little more intense.
If you, like me, are a fan of the first Anita Blake novels, this one might be a bit too much for you. It has a lot of sex, BDSM, m/m, m/m/f, f/f/m, and any other situation you can think of. A lot of the sex was for political means but it was still too much.
I found that this book was more of a transitional book, and I think everything was being laid out for the next book to be a plot and action driven book. This book takes place largely in the Circus of the Damned. Anita does receive a work-related call, but unfortunately she doesn't go to the area, she only is asked for her thoughts on a video feed. I really would have liked to see her out working some cases rather than watching her on her back or in other various positions throughout the book. With that said, I did like that we got to see more of the inner workings of the triumvirate, both Jean-Claude's and hers. I did find that the mens' personalities took a back seat to Anita. They seemed to be going to her for advice, rather than sticking to their opinions, or being themselves. Meanwhile, they were reassuring her about her emotional baggage. There was a lot of talk of feelings as well.
The book was not big on plot, or action, so it didn't seem that things were really going anywhere. Near the end of the book things were getting interesting, and the old Anita was starting to emerge, but she went back into hiding, and the crisis of the book was summed up in only a few short pages. Fleshed out, they would have pulled the old Anita out of hiding, and I think the book would have been more enjoyable if that had happened. However, we'll have to wait and see what will happen in the next installment.
All in all, the book was okay barring the fact that it bordered on erotica. If you are a die-hard Anita Blake fan and loved the first books, you probably won't enjoy this one as much, but if you are fine with erotica you should like it. It was a transitional book, so there was not a lot of action and that might deter readers as well. Some old characters have re-emerged, though some (say Edward) are still notoriously missing. I'll definitely be waiting for the next book in the hopes that it has a lot of fast-paced action like the early Anita books.

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks goes to Bronwyn from Penguin Canada for sending me this book to review.