5.0 out of 5 stars William Gibson's Best Novel in a Long, Long Time
Published on Sept. 19 2010 by John Kwok

3.0 out of 5 stars This Gibsonite was not impressed
Published on Nov. 15 2010 by Purnickitty

5.0 out of 5 stars William Gibson's Best Novel in a Long, Long Time, Sept. 19 2010
John Kwok (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Zero History (Hardcover)
"Zero History" is more than a satisfying conclusion to the "Hubertus Bigend" trilogy which started with 2003's "Pattern Recognition", as William Gibson's grand literary statement announcing that he and his fiction had finally arrived in the present, a science fictional present, whose existence was predicted by William Gibson in some of his prior work, most notably in some of the short stories comprising his seminal collection "Burning Chrome" and the "Virtual Light" trilogy which concluded on a most triumphant note with his novel "All Tomorrow's Parties". His latest novel really works as a stand-alone technical thriller on its own, though those familiar with the prior novels in this trilogy will certainly obtain the most satisfaction. And yet, those unfamiliar with Gibson's fiction will find ample pleasure reading this fast-paced thriller involving a search for an unknown fashion designer that will lead its protagonists into uncertain, quite darker, directions. "Zero History" should be viewed by potential readers as the best work of fiction he has crafted in years, and one which has been among the most exciting, most satisfying, reading experiences I have had in some time. I view it as the best concluding volume ever written by Gibson for his trilogies.

"Zero History" reunites us with former rock singer and marketing guru Hollis Henry with the ever mysterious Hubertus Bigend and his Blue Ant firm from "Spook Country", financially down on her luck after the 2008 stock market crash, who finds her only hope of financial salvation via Bigend's mission in seeking out an unknown Chicago-based fashion designer. Back from "Spook Country" too is Milgrim, Bigend's latest reclaimation project, who is transformed into a more likable, more sympathetic, character in "Zero History", shadowed by a United States federal special agent, while coping with the lingering psychological after effects of a draconian Swiss drug rehabilitation.

Gibson has always had an uncanny eye for detail, often rendered in his unique, but still, lyrical prose, that has been a defining hallmark of his fiction, ever since he introduced us to the terms "Cyberspace" and "The Sprawl" in his classic "Cyberspace Trilogy" novels and short stories. Here he truly excels in vividly rendering our technological, quite futuristic, present replete with Apple laptops and IPhones. A present instantly recognizable to those who've worked in internet marketing and fashion, and for the veritable hordes who view the Internet as a virtual extension of their daily lives; in plain English, that means all of us, his current and potential literary audience.

"Zero History" definitely ranks high on my list of the best novels published this year. It is a compelling work of fiction that shouldn't be missed, especially by those unfamiliar with Gibson's work. Its publication merely reaffirms the critical and popular acclaim he's received around the world as one of the most exciting, most intriguing, writers working in the English prose. With "Zero History" Gibson has given us a most vivid reminder that we are living in a high tech internet-dominated present nearly as remarkable and as strange as his classic cyberpunk science fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FUTURE IS NOW, Sept. 14 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Zero History (Hardcover)
William Gibson has long gone into the hinterland of the beautifully absurd. And his imagery is absolutely mesmerizing, it stays with you long after the last traces of the story evaporate.

If the Sprawl Trilogy changed the way we view the future and the Bridge Trilogy brought that future dystopia closer to home, the latest Bigend Trilogy interweaves that future into our everyday life. You know THAT future? Well it is now. And exactly because of this, after finishing it, memories of the book seem to pop up everywhere, when least expected.

The story ties loosely with the previous two books of the Trilogy (PATTERN RECOGNITION and SPOOK COUNTRY) and it is surprising to find out just how ruthless the garment business really is. However, the story is the vehicle, not the destination.

Gibson seems determined to deconstruct a persistent and omnipresent pop-culture that glorifies the trivial, attempts to turn our daily grind into a series of tolerable epic moments and reproduces the propaganda that steers public opinion towards the aims of the interconnected elite. And this he achieves with dense poetic wordscapes, his pattern brand-name fetishism and chains of ironic yet insightful observations.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Gibsonite was not impressed, Nov. 15 2010
This review is from: Zero History (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Gibson; having read all of his books - most of them multiple times. I would definitely say he's one of my top favorite authors. Zero History is worth reading just to finish off the story that was started in Spook Country and Pattern Recognition but I'm glad I didn't shell out for the hardcover at full price (I borrowed it from the library). I love the Milgrim character and there were a few interesting concepts that I enjoyed (like the Festo air penguins - which actually exist) but overall I found this novel to be a huge build-up for a not-so-great ending. I can't help but feel like the story goes in one direction for a long time but then takes a hard right to continue on in a totally different one. To me, it seems like there are a lot of loose ends that just didn't get tied up. I'll be re-reading "Spook" and "Pattern" for sure...but not this one.

Zero History
Zero History by William Gibson (Paperback - Aug. 2 2011)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36