4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, pulpy, action-packed
As usual, I received this book from a GoodReads giveaway. It's also worth noting that this novel belongs to a genre that is normally not among those I pick up for frequent perusal. Because of this I'm reviewing a bit outside my ken.

Published 9 months ago by Rob Slaven

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst plot construction for a great character, Mr. Flowers.
Ever since John Sandford introduced Virgil Flowers I have been entranced with this character's paradox of a personality. Funny, serious, intelligent, poor judgment, good looking, bad clothes, well read, rock junkie etc.

Published on April 3 2012 by lifelong reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, pulpy, action-packed, Dec 18 2013
Rob Slaven "slavenrm@gmail. com" (Zionsville, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bad Blood (Mass Market Paperback)

In a nutshell, Sandford's novel is about as pulpy as it gets: gritty, action packed and completely unapologetic about it. Despite the fact that this is not a genre I tend to pick up, and I'm not likely even now to start, I did find myself dragged along quite against my will once having started. Sandford's style is marvelous and it's obvious that he's been doing writing in this vein for quite some time. Easily the best I've read in the crime-action genre.

My only real complaint is that he does tend to go over the top. His dramatic conclusion reads more like a scene from a war movie than a police action. If this sort of thing regularly occurs then I'm rather surprised there are any cops left to keep the peace.

That aside, Sandford's writing is solid and his topic engaging. For those who enjoy work in the CSI realm this is a grand example of the genre.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst plot construction for a great character, Mr. Flowers., April 3 2012
This review is from: Bad Blood (Mass Market Paperback)

I was looking forward to this new story and was very disapointed. The thin plot made no sense to me. I read every word and line and about halfway, I started talking to the book's pages. Asking questions, pondering, maybe this will be resolved at the end. It never was.

Examples:
1. Why would a highly secretive and controlled group of abusive men, leave a naked body of a young female in a cemetery? which is how this whole chain of events began. It's hinted that other women were killed and disapeared (buried behind the house in the woodlot) over several decades. Nobody asked the question and I got no answer....
2. If every one was doing every one for this long, there must have been some unwanted pregnancies with the younger girls, did they always use condoms? how is that possible when 8 men are going at one girl in a pool? Nobody asked, got no answer...
3. In the same vein, how did the women know whose child they were having? you get the drift.
4. Virgil as charming and sexy as he sounds, got a little boring by the end. Gets another bed partner by batting his eyelashes, she wears him out. He wants more. Would have been such fun if the tables were turned and some incredible female gave HIM the run around for a change.
5. Virgil says he wants to find love and not be in-lust. Well does he? I find immature male character behavior a trial after a while. Davenport got his act together eventually. Much more believable.

I don't know what happens to bestselling writers, somehow the quality and editing goes down, as their bank account balance and their publishers go up.

2.0 out of 5 stars too many characters, Dec 20 2013
Funny... I liked all the Lucas davenport books and they were a great read. But with all of the Virgil flowers books (just finished number 4 in the series) I find there are so many characters I lose track of who's who!

I will continue to read more of the flowers series because I like the story .

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, Dec 10 2011
This review is from: Bad Blood (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are comfortable witt the topic, you will love the book. Enough action and suspense to make it difficult to put down.

Bad Blood
Bad Blood by John Sandford (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 27 2011)
CDN$ 11.50 CDN$ 10.35