4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, messy, poorly written. Enjoyable.
This is strange book...
Published on Sept. 28 2002 by RachelWalker

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good ending
Published on Jan. 21 2001 by Tyler Disley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars From Patterson's early "proving ground" years!, May 9 2004
coachtim (Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Season of the Machete (Turtleback)
As a dedicated fan of James Patterson, I realized that this was the one book of his that I had not yet read. Considering myself somewhat of a "completeist" when it comes to authors and musicians, I felt compelled to find a copy even though many, many Amazon reviewers recommended otherwise. Well, I guess I should have listened to the reviewers! This is not the James Patterson who wrote the great "Alex Cross" series (or even lesser works like "Thomas Berryman...", "Virgin", or "Black Market"). The character development is almost non-existent and the plot is so jumbled and rambling, it's like a runaway stagecoach.
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of action and numerous gory murders, but the set-up for the book is wafer-thin and it's really hard to fight your way through it. Like an earlier reviewer stated, I defy any reader to really tell me what the heck is going on through most of this book.
If you're a fan of Patterson's, stick with the Cross novels and his other later works. "Season of the Machete" was obviously a very early effort by Patterson and has about as much substance as some of my last-minute, weekend term papers from college. It's hard for me to give any Patterson book "one star" but when you compare this novel to his later books, this reviewer cannot do otherwise.
Stick to his good stuff and avoid this "Season"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, messy, poorly written. Enjoyable., Sept. 28 2002
This is strange book...
A very early James Patterson, i had expected it to be more well written than some of his latest books. (As "See How They Run", another early effort, was) but no...it wasn't in fact, it was worse. Some of the sentences don't even make sense and soem of the turns of phrase are just plain weird. The dialogue, in parts, is so overemphasized it is unreadble. The plot rambles, and i defy anyone to actually tell me what on earth was going on. Patterson doesn't actually stop to explain ANYTHING. The characters are cardboard thin, and there are so many of them, and you are unclear of who they all are and what their role and whose side they are on, etc. The dates of all the events in the book just don't tally at all. (In the prologue, for example, there are two killings. the date is stated as 1980. When, about four chapters into the book, these killings are mentioned again, it says they took place in 1979.)
Overall, this is a completely confusing book. It'll take a really dedicated reader to actually be able to work out what it is all truly about. However, apart from that, it IS an enjoyable book. I sped through it, helped by Patterson's loose style. The plot, such as it is, moves incredibly quickly, and murder piles upon murder right up until the conclusion, which, i will admit, is certainly very good.
All in all, i cannot reccomend this book to anyone except fans of Patterson who wish to delve into these curios of his back-catalogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good ending, Jan. 21 2001
Tyler Disley (Jackson, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong, Season of the Machete is no masterpiece. But for James Patterson's second book it's not all that bad. Throughout the whole book I really didn't get bored with it. There were times when it moved a little slow but I think Patterson had to add in a story that wasn't just people getting chopped up by Machetes. There were a lot of killings and details in this book that probably didn't have to go into it, but Patterson had a story line that he wanted to do and he stuck to it. I do have to say though that sometimes the sentences did not make any sense. I found myself re-reading lines because I didn't know what the heck they were talking about or doing. But I think that is how Patterson has developed over the years. This book doesn't have snappy dialogue and short suspenseful chapters but it holds your interest. The ending though is definitely the best and most intriguing part of the book. The old saying "the end justifies the means" applies to this book in a huge way. Overall, Season of the Machete is not perfect literature but it is still worthy of a read. 3 Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but ultimately confusing, April 24 1999
By A Customer
I couldn't make heads or tails of this book. It was difficult for me to follow and I quickly grew frustrated with the dates and times given in each chapter. When I read a book I prefer to imagine it in my own framework of time rather than to be given specific chronological information like that(especially since the chronology didn't seem to be accurate). Although this book was definitely not one of Mr. Patterson's best, it does have several redeeming qualities. The protagonist Peter McDonald, was a total bore but the two antagonists, Damian and Carrie Rose, were fascinating. They were very Bonnie and Clyde- like and I found that murderous bond between them oddly amusing. Okay, yes, Damian and Carrie were cold-blooded killers but they were also very fun (in a twisted sort of way), unlike the one dimensional Peter McDonald. I also found their names to be a neat play on words and connotations. Damian as in the Antichrist, Carrie as in the Stephen King novel, and their last name Rose, as in Rosemary's Baby. I especially enjoyed the outwardly soft and lovely and inwardly cold, calculating,brilliant,cruel and homicidal personality of Carrie Rose. She seemed to be the real brains in the book. Her self-interest and instincts for self-preservation were fun to see in a female character.She didn't fit into any of the sterotypical female roles. She makes no excuses or apologies in the end and that is very refreshing. It's not often that you read a book where the female character holds the cards, so to speak, and the male characters are left clueless.This book has a great ending and the ending is reason enough in itself to read the book. I hope that Mr. Patterson will bring Carrie Rose back in a future book. She was a truly memorable and fun character.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Patterson I know!, May 25 1999
By A Customer
Being a huge fan of the Alex Cross series of novels, I picked up this book with high expectations. I don't want to drag Patterson's name, because I love his other books (Alex Cross series, See How They Run, etc.), but I was truly not satisfied at the end of this book. I found it incredibly tedious. The only reason I stayed with it until the end was because of the fact that the prologue left a little mystery. The problem is, that mystery is never explained. One of the characters in that prologue (dated 1980) dies towards the end of the book (dated 1979). I was expecting some great story twist to explain this and didn't get it. I can't recommend this book. However, I would recommend his series starting with Along Came a Spider very highly. I understand that Patterson is planning a release of a new Alex Cross novel. I can't wait. I'm keeping the faith that it will be as good as the others, and I will forget that I even read Season of the Machete.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing and nearly unreadable., June 6 1999
By A Customer
This is worst book I have read in years, and I would have quit after the first 20 pages if I were not already a fan.
I did not even figure out who the protagonist was until halfway through the book. So many characters are introduced only to be killed that I could not keep the names straight. It seemed that even at the end of the book new characters were being introduced.
I cannot believe that James Patterson actually wrote this book. The mafia, CIA, and psychopathic killers all working together for who know what--give me a break.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK I guess, Dec 15 2002
David A. Spearman (Harbor Beach, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This is my ninth novel by Mr. Patterson. I guess I have been spoiled with Alex Cross stories. I try to read all a Author writes if I enjoy his books. I believe this to be his third and I have read all the rest. I felt he was still learning in this book. Very confusing, plenty of action but no growth of new characters, as I finshed it I realized that Peter was still in pursuit, I couldn't tell that until the final sentence. We all improve with time and so has this Author, all the rest have been great and I will read more as they come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Patterson, March 24 2001
Linda R. (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
James Patterson's books are usually a page turner. The suspense holds the reader until the last page. However, I find this statment to be true for the Alex Cross novels because this book not only did not take hold of my attention, but I actually stopped reading half way through. I'm not sure if the book gets better, but it is not the usual Patterson which is interesting from chapter 1. Simply put, this book was a bore and a disappointment. Patterson does have some other great books out there, especially those with Alex Cross.

2.0 out of 5 stars What was that about?, Sept. 26 2000
john (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
Wow. Did this make any sense to anyone? Was it just me or did the dates used in the book just not match up? It starts out in 1980 with characters that get killed off during the book in 1979? Please explain this to me if there is an explanation. Also, what was the motivation behind hiring these people to carry out all these murders anyway? That was never clear or explained. And lastly, what was up with the ending? Maybe I am slow, but it made no sense to me at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best endings ever, Oct. 21 1999
After reading Patterson's Alex Cross novels I decided to read his earlier works. This book is the best he has written before Along Came a Spider. Unlike the others that have written here I understood the ending and loved it. Finally a good ending and you can see where Patterson gets his double villain themes from. I would definately recommend this book over "See How They Run", "Hide and Seek" or "The Thomas Berryman". Number

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Season of the Machete
Season of the Machete by James Patterson (Hardcover - Jan. 9 1978)