5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous
Published on July 24 2009 by Steven R. McEvoy

3.0 out of 5 stars This second started going downhill
Firstly, I must say that I really thought the first book wonderful and exciting, and I had high hopes for the 2nd. Secondly, I read all three, and I would like to point out a few things that are left out in comments like "I loved this, a must-read!"

Published on Feb. 18 2012 by elXi

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, July 24 2009
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Catching Fire: The Second Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This book continues shortly after The Hunger Games finishes. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are back home in District 12 but things are not all joy for the victors. Katniss receives a visit from the President of the Capitol warning her that he knows all of her secrets, and during the Victory tour that she and Peeta must convince the other districts that their love is real. It is even announced on TV that their wedding will be hosted by the Capitol.

However, all is not well in Penam. The last time there was a rebellion, District 13 was nuked from the map, and The Hunger Games began to remind the districts of their submission and subjugation to the Capitol in this new country of Penan in the ruins of former North America. The Capitol each year forces each of the 12 provinces to draw names of a male and female tribute. The tributes are drawn from all people between the ages of 12 and 18. They receive training, are assessed by the game masters and then the betting begins. The games will be televised and are required viewing for the whole nation. In book 1 Peeta and Katniss won the games, but angered many in leadership in the Capitol.

Now is the beginning of the preparation for the 75th Hunger Games. It is a Quarter Quell; each 25 years the rules are modified. In previous Quarter Quells, on the 25th Anniversary of the rebellion, each district had to vote on what child to send to the games. In the second Quarter Quell, on the 50th anniversary each district had to send two male and two female tributes to the games and this time it is announced that the Tributes to fight in the games will be drawn from previous victors only.

Katniss panics at this news; less than a year ago she had to fight to the death with 23 other youths. Now she must return to the Arena and the death and carnage it will entail, for she is the only female from district 12 to be a victor. And she will have to enter the arena either with Peeta or Haymitch, her former co-winner or her mentor. And this time the Capitol will not allow two winners from a district again. Her world has just been turned upside down. As she prepares to train to re-enter the arena, she must decide who and what she is willing to fight for and this time maybe die for.

This book was so intense I could not put it down. I read it in one sitting, devouring it, then went back about a week later and reread it more slowly in case I missed anything. The cliff hanger is so extreme that even though it is more than a year away, I cannot wait for book 3 to be published. This book and the first The Hunger Games are excellent fictions and great summer or fall leisure reading.

(First published in Imprint 2009-07-24.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel manages to carry on the excitement!, July 21 2009
Vanessa M. Dow "Vanessa D" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I forced myself to read this book slowly, over the course of three days, because I just couldn't stand that it had to end. WOW. Given how much I loved The Hunger Games I didn't think it was possible for Catching Fire to live up to my expectations, but it exceeded them. In all my speculations on where Collins was going to take Katniss and Peeta, I didn't even get close. I'm going to try very hard to stay away from any spoilers here.

First off, this book managed to continue the adrenaline level of the Hunger Games far more successfully than I would have thought was possible. It does start off a little slowly, with Katniss and Peeta preparing to take their victory tour around the districts. The pace kicks up a few notches when they discover that their act of contempt toward the Capitol has had more of an effect, in more places, than they could have imagined. Katniss needs to decide- will she attempt to protect herself and her family, or allow herself to become the figurehead of a much-needed rebellion?

Peeta a much fuller role in this book. Now that he realizes Katniss was only pretending to be in love with him in order to win the Games, how will he treat her? As they find themselves together in a new fight for their lives and the lives of their families, Katniss and Peeta must rely on each other again. The tension between Katniss's desire for self-preservation vs. her desire to protect her friend is almost unbearable, especially as she is again serving as the narrator and the reader is hearing her thoughts.

I have so much admiration for Collin's writing. When I am reading this book, I am actually with Katniss as she's going through her struggles. One of my favorite parts of The Hunger Games was the way it played with my mind and my sympathies, and the same type of conflict goes on in Catching Fire. I couldn't just pick one character to cheer for. I wanted Katniss to be OK, but there were so many others that I just knew couldn't make it. Beyond the excitement, Catching Fire explores deeper issues like social responsibility and the effects of normalized violence on teens and young adults. Honestly, the book is still playing in my mind weeks after reading it.

If, for some reason, all the rave reviews for this book and its prequel have failed to sway you, I will add my voice to the clamor. READ THIS BOOK! PREORDER THIS BOOK! I cannot recommend Catching Fire enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars This second started going downhill, Feb. 18 2012

The first book, as I said, was great. It was well-paced (didn't feel rushed), surprising (waiting to see what will be next), and emotional (who of the two District 12s will die?).

The second book, however, started off by picking up the loose ends from the 1st book, which is reasonable. Except, I felt like a lot of new detail was synthesized on the spot, and rather clumsily (forgive me, but that's how I felt). A major event (not to spoil I won't write it down) that starts the action-ball rolling feels unnatural and unexpected in a sense of "well, here we go again".

For what I liked, it's the "good stuff" and drama from the 1st book, which lives up to the 1st book; it felt repetitive, however, and didn't seem have much to offer (again, this is my point of view, you might disagree). I felt hanging in mid-air, rushing through the pages not because of excitement (as it felt rather obvious that there is going to be a way out), but just to see how the problem will be solved.

Also, the lack of development of the new characters in the book, and how no-one vital to the "plot" was accidentally killed (which, in my opinion, would have made the story so, so much better!) was unfortunate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful Sequel, April 15 2010
Mireille Jaillet (New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
The first of this series was amazing, I mean a true work of art. The storyline is wonderfully original and I've been telling everyone I know to read it. Catching fire has all the elements needed to make a true wonderful story. There is romance, self-discovery, action, thrill, violence, a truly evil nemesis, an incredible twist ending and all wrapped up in one, it is truly a satisfying read.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE RETURN OF THE GLADIATORS..., March 11 2012
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Oftentimes, sequels to a bestselling book disappoint. This sequel to the "Hunger Games", however, the second in the trilogy, is just as good as the first, as it seamlessly picks up where the "Hunger Games" left off. The author is a born storyteller, and she weaves a story that, while simply written, is thematically complex.

The author continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, who along with the other tribute from District 12, Peeta Mellark, has survived the "Hunger Games". While on a whirlwind, governmentally mandated victory tour, Katniss and Peeta see portents that all is not well in Panem politically and signs of unrest and dissatisfaction with the despotic rule of President Snow are becoming all too apparent.

Suddenly, the stakes are raised, and the victorious tributes find themselves challenged in ways that they could never have anticipated. In fact, the author has come up with another ingenious plot that will keep the reader riveted. I could not put the book down, reading it in one sitting! So, again I find myself, running down to the local brick and mortar bookstore to buy the third and last book, which I simply cannot wait to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-Pounding!, Aug. 20 2010
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Katniss and Peeta might have gotten out of the Hunger Games alive, but the nightmare isn't over. They are forced to visit district after district and face the families of the other kids who died in the arena. Not only that, but their little act of rebellion in the Games didn't go unnoticed. Some districts are restless and President Snow is blaming Katniss, and he will do anything to make her pay.

I really loved The Hunger Games and I didn't think I could love Catching Fire more but I did! I don't want to give anything away because I kinda spoiled it for myself by reading the description of Mockingjay. Anyway, I loved how there is that much going on behind the scene that we are totally unaware of and that everything is revealed at the right moment.

Both Katniss and Peeta were strong in the first book and this time around the stakes are even higher. I admire their stubbornness, determination and enjoyed being surprised by the sacrifices they are willing to make. They will meet new allies/possible enemies, which I enjoyed liking or hating depending LOL. If there is such a thing as Team Cinna and Team Finnick please sign me up! Haymitch will hold an even more important role this time, which I honestly didn't see coming. In fact, apart from the bits I spoiled by reading book three's description, I didn't see anything coming. The whole book is a maelstrom of emotions, heart-breaks, surprises and fierceness. There is also the whole deadly blood-bath necessary to the Games.

I have a hard time putting my love of this series into words so I will tell you this, since I started reading the first book (5 days ago) I went to bed every night thinking of the books. What would happen next, what could have been different, what would've happen if X or Y happened, What I would've done if I were Katniss. The intensity of the books literally kept me awake at night, that's how good they were! I don't know how all of you guys who read this book on release in 2009 managed to wait until now to get the third book, `cause even though we are just a few days from release, the wait is unbearable!

Now I'm gonna pronounce myself. At this point I am Team Peeta, but I wouldn't be surprised to switch to Team Gale during book three. I already love Gale, but he hasn't been under the spotlight long enough to truly judge if I prefer him over Peeta, as opposed to the latter proving his loyalty over and over in the hardest situations. Either way, I will always be... Team Katniss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series!, Sept. 4 2009
ada (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had read some of the reviews of people who got advance copies, but avoiding the spoilers! They were right!This book is as amazing as the first one.

I have to admit that, at a point in the book, I got worried. I thought 'Oh non! This is going to be a repetition of the first one!'But it is not the case, just keep reading.

We see characters a lot better defined in this second one and, I just love how Katniss thinks!

If you have not done so, I highly recommend reading Hunger Games before you read this one. Also, it is part of a trilogy, so know that there are issues unsolved at the end of the book. Although it is a great ending!

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars best series ever!, March 30 2014
I love these books! Quit ending them in suspense! Now I have to wait for the next book. thanks for writing these books though. I enjoyed them and am excited to watch the movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catching Fire, March 12 2014
This book is good but I would prefer if it wasn't such a long time until the actual hunger games.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read!, Jan. 28 2014
This book held my attention from start to finish. It was suspenseful, exciting, touching and captivating throughout. The ending was a bit abrupt, but leaves one tantalizingly yearning for the next book in the series.

ARRAY(0xacac266c)

Catching Fire: The Second Book of The Hunger Games
Catching Fire: The Second Book of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2009)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43