5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it.
Because I've been waiting months for this book, I'd promised myself I'd read it slowly and savour it, becuase after I'm finished there's no more. As it turns out, I read all of Mockingjay the day I received it in the mail. As expected, it was excellent. As dreaded, I didn't like it.

Published on Aug. 30 2010 by L.Clair

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read...
Published on July 25 2011 by Toewser

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, and an ending that didn't feel like it fit the series., March 30 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I enjoy the first two books. I felt the third was rushed. It definitely took me longer to read, as it had less of my interest and attention. I didn't feel satisfied at the end. I felt upset and like I got hooked for a disappointment. The third book didn't seem to fit with the others, and I wonder if Suzanne rushed this last one. I was disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read..., July 25 2011
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked well for the previous two novels because Katniss was a main participant in all that occurred. However, in this book, one cannot help but feel cheated out of important events that would have resulted in a well rounded story.

Nevertheless, as a fan of the Hunger Games saga, this book is well worth the money and time. The reader just needs an avid imagination to fill in the rest of the blanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it., Aug. 30 2010
L.Clair (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)

Suzanne seems to be one of those writers whose books get better and better with each installment. I thought Catching Fire was better than The Hunger Games, and Mockingjay is written even better than Catching Fire. After the end...you just have an unquenchable hunger for MORE that will never be satisfied, but that's okay, because it's the mark of a good series.

Despite all that, the problem with Mockingjay, (for me at least) is that it wasn't any fun to read at all.

Sure, it's intense, suspenseful, poignant, and it cuts to the action faster, but I missed Peeta; Katniss's usual spirited and brave demeanor was replaced by a "Who cares?" attitude, and while it might be completely justified, it wasn't any fun on the reader's part; the whole book hangs a downcast, depressing and overly serious tone; I hated the anticlimax.
In lieu of spoilers, I will not mention names, but a certain important character was somewhat randomly dropped off at the end. We weren't given any closure about his relationships with his fellow characters. May or may not leave you feeling cheated.

Another reviewer, on amazon.com I believe, called this book a work of "nihilistic anti-war propaganda;" in other words, Collins is biased into thinking that war is the most disgusting, horrible, and awful thing that ever existed. And while she's entitled to her opinions, especially when they are well-supported, it's untactful to try and force her readers into seeing things her way, instead of giving them the facts and allowing them to form their own opinions.
This seems to be the reason for much of the unnecessary tragic events that happen in this book, and why it's so depressing: the author is putting out propaganda to 'help' us see how very very bad war is, instead of giving us a balanced view of the reasons people go to war, and why it may or may not be the best way to solve a conflict.

Now, the end. We never expected a completely happy ending for a series like this one. We would have enjoyed a bittersweet ending thoroughly. But I think the downer ending was just overdoing it. Did the author purposely twist the ending to a level of heartwrenching sadness? Probably. Was it necessary? Hmmm.

So, the writing was intelligent and unique to its author. The plot was (excepting the anticlimax) tense, winding, and fast-paced, the action neverending. The characters, especially Katniss herself, were depthened even further. Despite that, I didn't like it, I'm sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment after the first 2 excellent books, Dec 4 2013
This last book of the trilogy was a let down. Constant self questioning on the part of the heroine (instead of letting the reader do so), silly plot turns, and a speedy 5 page 5 year ending contributed to this disaster. Best to just read the first two fantastic books and imagine your own final saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I see many people complain that the ending was unsatisfying, but I personally loved it. For an original and epic story such as this one, the ending was just right. It was sad, of course, as most war stories are. But there was also a large element of hope, as the characters we've grown to love throughout the series find a way to live with the immense sorrow and ordeals they have suffered, and build a new life, with love and wisdom. This is only described briefly in the last few pages of the book, but it is enough.

In my opinion, had the ending been different (read: more optimistic and all-appealing), the series would not have had as much power, and as big an effect on the reader. These were very emotional and intense stories, so it only makes sense that the ending is as realistic as possible, without the absence of love and hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mockingjay is FABULOUS., Feb. 24 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Just as like my Catching Fire review, this book is magnificent. People can argue about the ending, how it was "rushed" but I find she made it perfectly. She gave the reader a sense of what happened, how the "Star Crossed Lovers" ended up, and give freedom to the reader for some specific things. Not so much that it feels rushed, but amazing. The book is just as long as its predecessors 391 pgs. The book comes with many twists and turns, and has an extremely realistic ending. It is not your typical love story. Twilight is baloney, this is extremely well crafted, and a successful ending only adds to the experience. The ending is true to the characters, and very great. Like Catching Fire, the quality is amazing, nothing wrong with the pages or hard cover, slip cover was also not ripped. The book gets 5 STARS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Liked the plot, hated the execution, Oct. 1 2011
Kuni (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I was okay with the plot of this book; its execution was what bothered me.

One of the things I loved about the original book, and, to a lesser extent, the second, was how well everything was paced. The places where the book slowed down and the places where it went a mile a minute felt natural. There was good flow. In Mockingjay, the plot seemed to move in fits and starts that didn't match the tempo of the events that were happening. A lot of the major events happen "off camera," so to speak, so much so that I began to question why we were still seeing the story through Katniss' eyes and not someone who was conscious or present for the events. Then, toward the end of the book, there's a rush of major events that don't seem to carry any emotional weight as the plot barrels through to the end. Now, I understand that Katniss would be in shock, and might not be feeling the full extent of the events, but it just felt...empty. Low impact. Rushed. I'm not sure I can properly qualify what I'm trying to say here, but it just didn't sit right with me. It didn't mesh with the Katniss I've come to know, and it felt as if I were reading a point form summary instead of the ending of the novel.

As well, I felt that the book's climax came out of nowhere, and the in-world reaction to it didn't make any sense to me. I actually reread the section several times trying to figure out why there wasn't a bigger uproar over what she did, or why she actually made that decision in the first place. The pieces of the puzzle are there and I can see what the author was trying to do, but they just don't fit together properly in my head. Feels forced.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with the execution of this book, particularly the last third of it. I do recommend that fans of the first two books read this one, but keep in mind that you may not be too happy with how the story is told.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.....a little let down., Sept. 15 2010
Book Worm (Moncton, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of the first two books. Not necessarily the best books i've EVER read, but definately the best books i've read in a long time. the third however, i'm not so sure about.

I don't have the same issues as alot of the other reviewers. I didn't expect a happy ending. But i did expect a more detailed ending. It seems like the author ran short on time and didn't get to develop the ending like it should have been done. Which, as i think about it, seems to be the problem with most of the book. It feels rushed. There were a few places where i was confused about who was who or couldn't imagine a scene based on her descriptions. I never had that problem while reading the first two.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it was the wonderful character and story development that got me hooked in the first place. That development is lacking in the last one.

I'm still recommending it to buy, if for no other reason, it finishes the trilogy. But, i have to admit, i'm feeling a little disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent book but I expected a better ending, April 12 2014
This book felt really pieced together in places and even the ending felt as though it was rushed and left me feeling unfulfilled. However I am really glad that I chose to finish the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, March 31 2014
Was a very good book! So entertaining to read! It kept me interested from start to finish. I can't wait for the next 2 movies now!

ARRAY(0xb3467474)

Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games
Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Aug. 24 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43