5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it.
Because I've been waiting months for this book, I'd promised myself I'd read it slowly and savour it, becuase after I'm finished there's no more. As it turns out, I read all of Mockingjay the day I received it in the mail. As expected, it was excellent. As dreaded, I didn't like it.

Published on Aug. 30 2010 by L.Clair

Published on Dec 29 2010 by Buggy

3.0 out of 5 stars REAL OR NOT REAL? after some fumbling a worthy completion to a great series, Dec 29 2010
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Real or not real; I finally finished Mockingjay? Thankfully real, because this just didn't hold my attention like the fantastic and innovative HUNGER GAMES or leave me gasping as CATCHING FIRE did. However in the end I still loved Suzanne Collins violent, bloody and utterly defeated conclusion to this series, it just took a bit (lot) of effort to get through to it. We aren't left hanging where the love triangle is concerned though with Collins giving us a realistic and satisfactory glimpse twenty years into Katniss's future and who she finds herself there with.

All told Mockingjay is a brutal and despairing ride as Katniss, Peeta, Gale and just about every other character we've met so far wages war on the Capital and its President Snow. Yes a lot of people die here and I'll be honest at times Mockingjay lost me. In fact I actually put it down more than once with no real ambition to pick it up again, as it just seemed to drag with endless battles, hospital visits and politics and if it hadn't been for my curiosity about who Katniss ends up with I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing it at all.

This is due in no small part to the fact that our heroine spends most of the book either waking up in hospital after being injured or recovering in a drug induced haze from one thing or another. This became monotonous, stalling the story. And while I appreciated Katniss's battered state of body and mind -especially in the closing chapters I also found it overkill and wondered where that strong, take control girl from previous books had gone. On the other hand after what she'd been through its a wonder she didn't just keep hiding in the closet, taking morphling and shutting out a world gone mad where no one is who they seem anymore.

I was also very let down by the final climactic battle which for the most part we are told not shown because Katniss is again unconscious, even Snow became rather a non-issue here. And one if my biggest personal disappointments would have to be that we didn't get to see Gale's character fleshed out more. I had really been hoping that this would be his book, his time to shine and show us why Katniss loves him. Instead he remaines frustratingly vague.

I believe Suzanne Collins probably had the outcome to this series in her mind from the very first page of Hunger Games, unfortunately with this book she just wasn't sure how to get us there and fumbled along with her conclusion. The ending chapters and epilogue are amazing though and almost make up for the bumpy, tiring ride that is Mockingjay, almost. And after all was said and done it was Buttercup the cat that had me crying and I'm not even a cat person.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Let Down After Such A Great Series..., Dec 23 2010
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
***This review contains spoilers***

If I had to sum this book up in one word it would be confusion. Firstly, prior to reading this book I was confused as to why the reviews of this book were so black and white, with the people who completely loved this book and were happy with the outcome or with the people who are completely disappointed by this book and almost feel as if it almost wrecked the series for them. Having read it, If found that many of the characters experienced confusion within the story, take Katniss, for instance, and her concussion which makes it difficult for her to concentrate for long periods of time, or Peeta, who was tortured greatly and as a result has an extremely difficult time separating fact from fiction, or Finnick, who completely loses himself to a confused state when he mourns for the women that he loves and whom he believes to be in the clutches of evil. The first half of the book I enjoyed quite a bit and was totally like, "What are those haters going on about? This book is great!" But then all of a sudden it completely changed and I felt myself liking the book less and less. Overall, I am just confused about what actually happens in this book/ why it does and I can understand why many people take the latter side, that they are disappointed with the outcome of the book.

When reading this book, like the others, I had no idea who Katniss was going to choose, her best friend of many years, Gale, or Peeta, the boy who did everything in his power to protect her no matter the cost to himself. And as previously mentioned in my other review of this series, I wasn't fully supporting/ rooting for one of the boys over the other, while absolutely hating the other. I liked both of them almost the same (well, that is a tad white lie, I liked one boy just a fraction more than the other, just a fraction though- nothing major, I promise!), and I thought that I was going to be completely okay with who she picked in the end. But I am not. I just hate how she didn't actually choose which boy she wanted- she didn't have an option between the boys because the other boy just left her high and dry to go be some bigshot without her (Okay, maybe I am being a bit dramatic, he did leave her because he thought that she would never be able to forgive him for something that he didn't intentionally do, but heck, Katniss forgave the other boy for doing a lot worse of things- which he seemed to constantly be doing/ doing on purpose, so I am sure that she would have eventually forgave unintentional boy). And the boy that leaves her, well I guess it is kinda insinuated when I say "high and dry" that he never has any contact with her ever again... AND COME'ON!!! How can you just leave like that?

Another thing that kinda bugged me was just how much of a beating Katniss took in this book. I mean, we start off with her having a concussion, then she gets a bummed knee, then we find out that she has huge scarring on her arm from an earlier incident, and then she gets shot and bruises all of her ribs, AND THEN SOMETHING MAJOR HAPPENS (DUN, DUN, DUN)... Well you get the point. I won't tell you what happens to her in the end, but it isn't pretty whatsoever and it just makes me mad. I mean, I am not saying that her life should be all flowers, rainbows, and unicorns, because if it was, she wouldn't be the person we have all grown to love, but can't the girl catch a break every now and then (and I personally don't think that it as necessary whatsoever, it sure as heck didn't enhance the plot at all)? And another thing? I dislike it when a character has a concussion or something mental going on where they can not fully concentrate/ zone in and out of reality, I find it makes it extremely difficult for me to determine what is actually going on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, and an ending that didn't feel like it fit the series., March 30 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I enjoy the first two books. I felt the third was rushed. It definitely took me longer to read, as it had less of my interest and attention. I didn't feel satisfied at the end. I felt upset and like I got hooked for a disappointment. The third book didn't seem to fit with the others, and I wonder if Suzanne rushed this last one. I was disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read..., July 25 2011
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked well for the previous two novels because Katniss was a main participant in all that occurred. However, in this book, one cannot help but feel cheated out of important events that would have resulted in a well rounded story.

Nevertheless, as a fan of the Hunger Games saga, this book is well worth the money and time. The reader just needs an avid imagination to fill in the rest of the blanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much doom and gloom, Sept. 25 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of the first 2 books of the hunger games and was very anxious to read the last book but it was so depressing all the way through. It's one negative thing after another. It's just too much sadness. Well, even after having read the other not so good reviews I wasn't expecting much and wasn't deterred because you pretty well have to finish a trilogy but I was disappointed. My heart still aches for a better third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it., Aug. 30 2010
L.Clair (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)

Suzanne seems to be one of those writers whose books get better and better with each installment. I thought Catching Fire was better than The Hunger Games, and Mockingjay is written even better than Catching Fire. After the end...you just have an unquenchable hunger for MORE that will never be satisfied, but that's okay, because it's the mark of a good series.

Despite all that, the problem with Mockingjay, (for me at least) is that it wasn't any fun to read at all.

Sure, it's intense, suspenseful, poignant, and it cuts to the action faster, but I missed Peeta; Katniss's usual spirited and brave demeanor was replaced by a "Who cares?" attitude, and while it might be completely justified, it wasn't any fun on the reader's part; the whole book hangs a downcast, depressing and overly serious tone; I hated the anticlimax.
In lieu of spoilers, I will not mention names, but a certain important character was somewhat randomly dropped off at the end. We weren't given any closure about his relationships with his fellow characters. May or may not leave you feeling cheated.

Another reviewer, on amazon.com I believe, called this book a work of "nihilistic anti-war propaganda;" in other words, Collins is biased into thinking that war is the most disgusting, horrible, and awful thing that ever existed. And while she's entitled to her opinions, especially when they are well-supported, it's untactful to try and force her readers into seeing things her way, instead of giving them the facts and allowing them to form their own opinions.
This seems to be the reason for much of the unnecessary tragic events that happen in this book, and why it's so depressing: the author is putting out propaganda to 'help' us see how very very bad war is, instead of giving us a balanced view of the reasons people go to war, and why it may or may not be the best way to solve a conflict.

Now, the end. We never expected a completely happy ending for a series like this one. We would have enjoyed a bittersweet ending thoroughly. But I think the downer ending was just overdoing it. Did the author purposely twist the ending to a level of heartwrenching sadness? Probably. Was it necessary? Hmmm.

So, the writing was intelligent and unique to its author. The plot was (excepting the anticlimax) tense, winding, and fast-paced, the action neverending. The characters, especially Katniss herself, were depthened even further. Despite that, I didn't like it, I'm sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get ..., Oct. 3 2014
I'm really surprised by all the people in the comments complaining about the way this last book went. I'm not sure what kind of ending they really expected since Katnis has been thrown from one tragedy to another until she is broken. This is war, this is trauma. And i for one really appreciated that honest tone to the book. Yes it was dark, yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get smashed to bits inside and out till they have trouble even constructing a sense of identity. The reader must remember this is not a TV show, its not here to -entertain- you. The story is simply that, a story, one of love, and loss, and growth and it's not up to us to really judge what Katnis is. She may be a fictional character, but shes a metaphor for many real life experiences and I think that is beyond any whimsical expectation of entertainment.

Now that I'm done chastising the readers I will comment on the book itself:
I found it riveting, realistic, very sad, and above all, honest.I have PTSD and was shocked to find a book that touched on it's realistic consequences in ones life, and appreciated Katnises pain, in a way that others may not. I felt like her journey is an important one to understand in real life. The ability to piece yourself back together when what you love is lost, and what you wanted becomes more than what you wished for, and not in a good way.

I will speak to some of the other complains in the book. The end did seem rushed, and not much closure to the loss of important characters was given. I dont know if this is just bc its a story about Katnis specifically, or if this is a real flaw in the book. But i will say I did crave a little more in that.

The twists at the end are wonderful and terrifying and live up to the first 2 books

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.....a little let down., Sept. 15 2010
Book Worm (Moncton, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of the first two books. Not necessarily the best books i've EVER read, but definately the best books i've read in a long time. the third however, i'm not so sure about.

I don't have the same issues as alot of the other reviewers. I didn't expect a happy ending. But i did expect a more detailed ending. It seems like the author ran short on time and didn't get to develop the ending like it should have been done. Which, as i think about it, seems to be the problem with most of the book. It feels rushed. There were a few places where i was confused about who was who or couldn't imagine a scene based on her descriptions. I never had that problem while reading the first two.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it was the wonderful character and story development that got me hooked in the first place. That development is lacking in the last one.

I'm still recommending it to buy, if for no other reason, it finishes the trilogy. But, i have to admit, i'm feeling a little disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment after the first 2 excellent books, Dec 4 2013
This last book of the trilogy was a let down. Constant self questioning on the part of the heroine (instead of letting the reader do so), silly plot turns, and a speedy 5 page 5 year ending contributed to this disaster. Best to just read the first two fantastic books and imagine your own final saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series, Jan. 9 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I see many people complain that the ending was unsatisfying, but I personally loved it. For an original and epic story such as this one, the ending was just right. It was sad, of course, as most war stories are. But there was also a large element of hope, as the characters we've grown to love throughout the series find a way to live with the immense sorrow and ordeals they have suffered, and build a new life, with love and wisdom. This is only described briefly in the last few pages of the book, but it is enough.

In my opinion, had the ending been different (read: more optimistic and all-appealing), the series would not have had as much power, and as big an effect on the reader. These were very emotional and intense stories, so it only makes sense that the ending is as realistic as possible, without the absence of love and hope.

Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games
Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Aug. 24 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43