march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Music Deals Store Introducing Kindle Oasis sports Tools Family

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 118 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on July 23, 2012
I found the final book in the series to be different enough to keep me interested and light enough so that I could pick it up when I had some time to spare but put it down when my attention got diverted... all in all I found it was a good summer read
on September 19, 2013
Would have liked a little more detail as to why things turned out the way they did. Too much emotional flatness, apathy bringing this series to a close. Katniss seems to never dare find any emotion. PTSD for sure, but, hey, she & Peta really paid their dues and deserve more real emotions.
on May 16, 2015
If you are looking for a lot of action and big battle pieces, then you maybe a little disappointed as the big adventurous battles and gore, doesn't come till the end. And even then the ending feels anti-climactic, as it doesn't have the big show-down that readers maybe expecting.

But if you are looking for a character drama, a young adult novel that unexpectedly delves into the traumatic mind-set of a strong leading character, who really is a 17 year old girl, thrown into situations, which people twice her age barely would be able to handle, let alone someone who is 17, then you will enjoy the final book in this series.

I liked that in an unexpected twist of the YA genre, the author here actually goes into detail the level of physical and mental trauma that Katniss suffers as a result of having to kill and seeing her loved ones getting killed and her life pretty much destroyed. How does she pick up the destroyed pieces and find a way to rebuild a new life? Who does she choose to rebuild her life with, Gale or Peeta? You'll also be asking yourself, what happens to Panem, after President Snow is finished? Does it become a better, more democratic society? Does Katniss play a role in making that happen?
on January 7, 2015
Generally, I don’t watch the movie version of a book until I’ve read it, but The Hunger Games flashed on the screen during a long-haul flight a few years ago and I gave in to the hype and my curiosity. I wanted to flush the movie version out of my system before I read the book. I’ve since learned that “flushing” is not possible, so I read it anyway.

The Hunger Games is dystopian YA set in a post-apocalyptic nation called Panem. During an uprising 75 years previous, 13 districts rebelled against the ruling capitol and the capitol won. The capitol wiped the 13th district off the map and created the Hunger Games as an annual reminder to the remaining districts of their failed uprising and as a disincentive to ever rise up again. Each year the districts must sacrifice a girl and boy Tribute between the ages of 12 to 18 to participate in a fight-to-the-death reality show called the Hunger Games.

This is a dark and disturbing read with a generous helping of physical and emotional wreckage. The world-building is imaginative and tightly woven into the story. The characters are interesting and the plot moves along at a good clip. There were a number of points in the story where I questioned the premise. Perhaps I’m a bit of a cynic, but I found it hard to imagine living under the conditions imposed on the districts or the conditions of the games. Easy to say from my cushy perspective, I suppose, but nonetheless… I’m looking forward to Book II, Catching Fire.
on September 18, 2012
** Spoiler**
So, I just finished this book and I have to say it was beyond what I expected. I mean sure there were pages, chapters in which I was skimming because it wasn't all that entertaining. But I liked it because for me, I found it realistic. I found it not some fairy tale happy ending where everyone lives and the end. Katniss is completely screwed up because of the Capitol and she will never be the same. Same goes for Peeta, if not more messed than Katniss. Gale, even though I rooted for him and Katniss, but you can tell which way their relationship will go, because its more realistic. This book isn't meant to have a happy twilight ending.

Despite the fillers and such, the ending chapters when everything is coming to end. I did not want to put the book down. When Suzanne gets into a scene, boy does she get you going with the action, drama, excitement and she gets your blood boiling wanting more and more.

Overall, I was pleased with the way this ended. Because once again, its gives you a realistic twisted ending. If anyone of you were reading this book expecting a Disney ending, we'll that sucks for you guys. Of course Katniss would end up a little crazy after the hell she's been though. Of course Peeta would never be the same. Of Gale and Katniss would never be together because she blames and anyone whose not blind can see see loves Peeta. These characters have been through hell and back, ten times over and I absolutely loved how Suzanne pulled everything together.
Its worth it to purchase the series. Just prepare yourself for the unexpected.
on July 25, 2012
Mockingjay ties up most of the loose ends well. I was not left wondering what happened to any of the characters. That said I would have loved another hundred pages of detail thrown in. Some peoples story lines were ended quite abruptly.

This third book was very satisfing. I wasn't disappointed as can often be the case with trilogies. Mockingjay focuses mostly on the war and there is very little further character development. Katness' internal torment is the focus of much of the story. The full toll of her experience coupled with her age takes effect on her psychologically. I love how Collins hasn't glossed over the fact that this girl was ripped from her home and forced to kill other children and made a pawn by two sides in a war. Part of what makes this series so compelling is that the lead characters do feel pain and suffering. It humanizes them and helps the reader to relate.

I found myself sad that this series is now complete. This has been a great reading experience and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and it's always sad to say goodbye.
on June 8, 2012
Diary of a young woman forced to survive against the odds.

The Hunger Games is very enjoyable and hard to put down once you get into it. You are introduced to Katniss Everdeen and see a harsh post-apocalyptic (yet surprisingly lush) world run by a tyrannical "Capitol" which hosts the Hunger Games each year to entertain the populace, discourage rebellions, and generally control populations in a bloody survival game.

The Hunger Games reads like a diary as it is written in first person perspective through the eyes and memories of Katniss. Most of the story line is dealing with a consistent time line, but now and then, there are flash backs to earlier periods in Katniss' life. You will also notice that Katniss has little to no emotion and a supreme distrust of almost everyone. Much of what I enjoyed in this book is her overcoming this emotionless existence and how she begins to build trust in others.

This is an awesome book that drives the reader along an emotional journey. While hard to relate to, you develop concern over the characters and are swept along throughout the book until its excited, plot twisting conclusion... all the while picking up minor hints here and there that there is something bigger bubbling under the surface.

I give this book a huge thumbs up and agree with all the hype about this book.
on May 22, 2012
The book carries the reader swiftly from the start to the end in a futuristic story that has a very personal feel within the framework of a very compelling adventure. It is told in the first person through the eyes of Katniss who gets embroiled in the Hunger Games, an event akin to the ancient Roman gladiator fights in the Coliseum. The arena even has the underground rooms and tunnels like the Coliseum. However, unlike ancient Rome the Hunger Games takes place in the framework of advanced technology with frequent technological surprises along the way. The story of Katniss's participation in the Games reveals the structure of an adversarial society where the aristocrats or oligarchs in the Capitol control those living in the 12 districts. Those in the Capitol hold all the wealth and power and privilege while those in the districts suffer in poverty and food shortages and fear. Like a good adventure story there is plenty of action as well as a web of relationships and interpersonal stories. All these operate within the framework of a society that monitors and controls its citizens very closely.The Griffon Trilogy: Part I
on April 16, 2012
Normally I do not purchase hardcover books because of the expense. I ordered the box set of these books because it was on sale for 50% off, which was a very good buy. In fact, the price for ordering this set was lower than purchasing the paperback versions at a local store. Quality-wise, it was a very good purchase. The books were in perfect condition when they arrived.

As for the content, they were an enjoyable read. The story makes you want to keep reading to see what will happen next, and the descriptive writing is able to make you envision a world different from your own. I had a little frustration with some of the character development, or lack thereof, particularly the main character's seeming lack of awareness about much of what is going on around her and almost complete inability to deal with emotions of any kind. However, since these books are written toward a younger audience, a certain amount of two-dimensional characterization is forgivable, particularly when the story is engaging and moves along at a good pace.

Overall, I'd say it was a good value and a fun read.
on April 12, 2012
This review has spoilers! Read at your own discretion.

I finished reading Mockingjay within 5 days after reading the first two books in the previous two weeks. Personally, I thought it was a difficult book to read but not because it was poorly written or because it was uninteresting. On the contrary, I was completely hooked as I was with the first two novels. No, the reason this book was difficult to read was largely because of what the book's characters, specifically, Katniss and Peeta, had to go through during the story. Now, I'll admit that I was greatly impressed by The Hunger Games in the sense that it was a literal page-turner with thrilling action and edge-of-your-seat suspense. Furthermore, the events of the first Hunger Games provided the perfect setting for the developing relationship between Katniss and Peeta. In fact, I'll admit right now that my favourite part of the entire series was their relationship and how it grew from it being only Peeta who was genuinely in love while Katniss was at first distrustful and then playing the Capitol's role of star-crossed lovers, to her discovering in Catching Fire how important Peeta was to her and how she truly did care for him. Sadly, this relationship is completely shattered in Mockingjay and it is only through sheer determination that Katniss and Peeta are able to slowly and delicately rebuild the love and trust that they had steadily built throughout the first two books.

There is no denying that Katniss is a heroic figure in the first two novels and unfortunately, as many have already noted, the Katniss in Mockingjay is much more passive with her faults being on greater display. However, this is understandable to an extent as throughout the first half of the book, Katniss is reacting to Peeta's capture and is clearly struggling to carry out her responsibilities as the Mockingjay, the symbol of the rebellion that is now sweeping across Panem. Now people may feel that Mockingjay was weaker from a quality perspective but in my opinion, there were many passages in this book that were incredibly touching and well-written such as when Katniss completely breaks down after seeing a frail and injured Peeta being interviewed by Caesar and can only be comforted by Haymitch as he is the only person who can understand the pain that Katniss feels from letting Peeta fall into the Capitol's grasp. Shortly thereafter, Peeta is rescued but unfortunately, his hijacking has seemingly destroyed all traces of the Peeta that the reader had come to love and most shocking of all, he has lost his unconditional love for Katniss, a quality that defined Peeta in the previous books. Now, many have argued that Katniss displays great weakness and insensitivity during this part of the novel with respect to how she avoids Peeta and doesn't attempt to bring him back to his former self. Although I did find myself angry with Katniss at times, overall, I felt this was realistic as Katniss was never as emotionally strong as Peeta was and at this point, she is still struggling with her feelings for Peeta and Gale. Luckily however, with insight from Haymitch, Katniss does begin to take a more proactive role in helping Peeta through his recovery after Haymitch makes Katniss realize that if the situations were reversed Peeta would be doing everything in his power to bring Katniss back regardless of how difficult it may be.

Now with respect to other events in the novel, the final Capitol mission was both riveting and horrific and my only disappointment was to see beloved characters such as Finnick and Prim meet such quick and tragic ends. Personally, these two characters were far more developed than Gale ever was who I was never able to view as a fully-fledged character given his large absence in the first two books. Personally, the only reason I believe Katniss did not become aware of her feelings for Peeta sooner was because the Capitol was forcing them together and subconsciously Katniss did not wish to be forced into a relationship, especially marriage, as she wished to retain her freewill which she believed Gale represented. Overall, I did find the book to have a compelling story although I will admit it wasn't as enjoyable to read in comparison to the other two books, largely given Katniss's anguish and the loss of Peeta's dynamic personality. There were however a few light moments such as Katniss and Johanna's training regime and the scene with Finnick and Boggs (it involved underwear.) I will agree that towards the end, it did feel like the author was trying to wrap things up a bit too quickly although I did enjoy the twist with President Coin and the vote for a final Hunger Games where Katniss demonstrated her resolve to make a courageous choice that would ultimately benefit all of Panem. I do feel however, that it was a mistake to have Katniss sit out her trial as this would have given her the opportunity to explain her convictions and prove to the reader that she had returned to her heroic self. In fact, I was greatly disappointed with the epilogue as it implied that despite having two children, Katniss was never able to recover and spent the remainder of her days in the remnants of District 12, forever damaged beyond repair. On a much more satisfying note, as there was never any doubt in my mind that Katniss and Peeta would end up together, I was deeply touched by the novel's final lines before the epilogue where Katniss finally admits her love to Peeta through a touching exchange where Peeta asks "You love me. Real or not real?" and Katniss replies "Real." As was mentioned by Gale, Katniss would choose the boy she could not survive without and without a shadow of a doubt, that was always going to be Peeta given the characters' complimenting personalities and experiences in the games. In fact, I feel this would have been a better conclusion to the series as it provided hope that better days awaited the two lovers despite all the hardships and horrific nightmares that would forever burden them. As many have noted, Suzanne Collins succeeds in conveying her message that war is a terrible thing and that there can never be any victors but only survivors as demonstrated by the nonsensical and heart-breaking death of Prim.

Coming to the novel's end, I was saddened that this would be my last time reading about Katniss and Peeta whose friendship and devotion to one another allowed them to overcome the trials that were cruelly thrust upon them. Furthermore, I was greatly pleased to see that despite his unspeakable trauma, Peeta did in the end succeed in keeping his wish to remain unchanged as he had expressed in the first novel and although largely absent, Peeta is given the opportunity to demonstrate his inner strength towards the novel's end with his willingness to kill himself after realizing the danger he presents to Katniss and by ensuring that Katniss does not kill herself after shooting Coin. Now, if you asked me if Mockingjay was how I envisioned the final novel, my answer would be no. The thrill and excitement I had while reading the first two novels was largely replaced with grief and sorrow as Katniss was faced with one more crushing horror after the other and every passing page seemed to guarantee the loss of Peeta forever until the last 100 pages. As I said at the beginning of this review, I did not find this to be a bad book as it did succeed in telling a gripping story with characters who experienced very real emotions. I do feel however, that some things could have been improved upon such as the final confrontation and death of President Snow and the fates of certain characters such as Cinna, Haymitch and Gale. Now, although I can't say this book had a completely satisfying conclusion it did succeed in my opinion with respect to Katniss and Peeta's relationship although I do wish we could have seen more of the characters we had come to love in the first two novels. On the other hand, the events of Mockingjay do remind the reader of how special Katniss and Peeta's relationship is which was integral to my satisfaction from reading this book. Therefore, despite the pain I felt while reading this book, I am truly glad that I got around to reading this series and despite any reservations I may have against Mockingjay, this series did leave a strong impression on me and in the end, that is what made these books real to me.