Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools

Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on May 16, 2015
If you are looking for a lot of action and big battle pieces, then you maybe a little disappointed as the big adventurous battles and gore, doesn't come till the end. And even then the ending feels anti-climactic, as it doesn't have the big show-down that readers maybe expecting.

But if you are looking for a character drama, a young adult novel that unexpectedly delves into the traumatic mind-set of a strong leading character, who really is a 17 year old girl, thrown into situations, which people twice her age barely would be able to handle, let alone someone who is 17, then you will enjoy the final book in this series.

I liked that in an unexpected twist of the YA genre, the author here actually goes into detail the level of physical and mental trauma that Katniss suffers as a result of having to kill and seeing her loved ones getting killed and her life pretty much destroyed. How does she pick up the destroyed pieces and find a way to rebuild a new life? Who does she choose to rebuild her life with, Gale or Peeta? You'll also be asking yourself, what happens to Panem, after President Snow is finished? Does it become a better, more democratic society? Does Katniss play a role in making that happen?
on September 18, 2012
** Spoiler**
So, I just finished this book and I have to say it was beyond what I expected. I mean sure there were pages, chapters in which I was skimming because it wasn't all that entertaining. But I liked it because for me, I found it realistic. I found it not some fairy tale happy ending where everyone lives and the end. Katniss is completely screwed up because of the Capitol and she will never be the same. Same goes for Peeta, if not more messed than Katniss. Gale, even though I rooted for him and Katniss, but you can tell which way their relationship will go, because its more realistic. This book isn't meant to have a happy twilight ending.

Despite the fillers and such, the ending chapters when everything is coming to end. I did not want to put the book down. When Suzanne gets into a scene, boy does she get you going with the action, drama, excitement and she gets your blood boiling wanting more and more.

Overall, I was pleased with the way this ended. Because once again, its gives you a realistic twisted ending. If anyone of you were reading this book expecting a Disney ending, we'll that sucks for you guys. Of course Katniss would end up a little crazy after the hell she's been though. Of course Peeta would never be the same. Of Gale and Katniss would never be together because she blames and anyone whose not blind can see see loves Peeta. These characters have been through hell and back, ten times over and I absolutely loved how Suzanne pulled everything together.
Its worth it to purchase the series. Just prepare yourself for the unexpected.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 25, 2012
Mockingjay ties up most of the loose ends well. I was not left wondering what happened to any of the characters. That said I would have loved another hundred pages of detail thrown in. Some peoples story lines were ended quite abruptly.

This third book was very satisfing. I wasn't disappointed as can often be the case with trilogies. Mockingjay focuses mostly on the war and there is very little further character development. Katness' internal torment is the focus of much of the story. The full toll of her experience coupled with her age takes effect on her psychologically. I love how Collins hasn't glossed over the fact that this girl was ripped from her home and forced to kill other children and made a pawn by two sides in a war. Part of what makes this series so compelling is that the lead characters do feel pain and suffering. It humanizes them and helps the reader to relate.

I found myself sad that this series is now complete. This has been a great reading experience and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and it's always sad to say goodbye.
on April 12, 2012
This review has spoilers! Read at your own discretion.

I finished reading Mockingjay within 5 days after reading the first two books in the previous two weeks. Personally, I thought it was a difficult book to read but not because it was poorly written or because it was uninteresting. On the contrary, I was completely hooked as I was with the first two novels. No, the reason this book was difficult to read was largely because of what the book's characters, specifically, Katniss and Peeta, had to go through during the story. Now, I'll admit that I was greatly impressed by The Hunger Games in the sense that it was a literal page-turner with thrilling action and edge-of-your-seat suspense. Furthermore, the events of the first Hunger Games provided the perfect setting for the developing relationship between Katniss and Peeta. In fact, I'll admit right now that my favourite part of the entire series was their relationship and how it grew from it being only Peeta who was genuinely in love while Katniss was at first distrustful and then playing the Capitol's role of star-crossed lovers, to her discovering in Catching Fire how important Peeta was to her and how she truly did care for him. Sadly, this relationship is completely shattered in Mockingjay and it is only through sheer determination that Katniss and Peeta are able to slowly and delicately rebuild the love and trust that they had steadily built throughout the first two books.

There is no denying that Katniss is a heroic figure in the first two novels and unfortunately, as many have already noted, the Katniss in Mockingjay is much more passive with her faults being on greater display. However, this is understandable to an extent as throughout the first half of the book, Katniss is reacting to Peeta's capture and is clearly struggling to carry out her responsibilities as the Mockingjay, the symbol of the rebellion that is now sweeping across Panem. Now people may feel that Mockingjay was weaker from a quality perspective but in my opinion, there were many passages in this book that were incredibly touching and well-written such as when Katniss completely breaks down after seeing a frail and injured Peeta being interviewed by Caesar and can only be comforted by Haymitch as he is the only person who can understand the pain that Katniss feels from letting Peeta fall into the Capitol's grasp. Shortly thereafter, Peeta is rescued but unfortunately, his hijacking has seemingly destroyed all traces of the Peeta that the reader had come to love and most shocking of all, he has lost his unconditional love for Katniss, a quality that defined Peeta in the previous books. Now, many have argued that Katniss displays great weakness and insensitivity during this part of the novel with respect to how she avoids Peeta and doesn't attempt to bring him back to his former self. Although I did find myself angry with Katniss at times, overall, I felt this was realistic as Katniss was never as emotionally strong as Peeta was and at this point, she is still struggling with her feelings for Peeta and Gale. Luckily however, with insight from Haymitch, Katniss does begin to take a more proactive role in helping Peeta through his recovery after Haymitch makes Katniss realize that if the situations were reversed Peeta would be doing everything in his power to bring Katniss back regardless of how difficult it may be.

Now with respect to other events in the novel, the final Capitol mission was both riveting and horrific and my only disappointment was to see beloved characters such as Finnick and Prim meet such quick and tragic ends. Personally, these two characters were far more developed than Gale ever was who I was never able to view as a fully-fledged character given his large absence in the first two books. Personally, the only reason I believe Katniss did not become aware of her feelings for Peeta sooner was because the Capitol was forcing them together and subconsciously Katniss did not wish to be forced into a relationship, especially marriage, as she wished to retain her freewill which she believed Gale represented. Overall, I did find the book to have a compelling story although I will admit it wasn't as enjoyable to read in comparison to the other two books, largely given Katniss's anguish and the loss of Peeta's dynamic personality. There were however a few light moments such as Katniss and Johanna's training regime and the scene with Finnick and Boggs (it involved underwear.) I will agree that towards the end, it did feel like the author was trying to wrap things up a bit too quickly although I did enjoy the twist with President Coin and the vote for a final Hunger Games where Katniss demonstrated her resolve to make a courageous choice that would ultimately benefit all of Panem. I do feel however, that it was a mistake to have Katniss sit out her trial as this would have given her the opportunity to explain her convictions and prove to the reader that she had returned to her heroic self. In fact, I was greatly disappointed with the epilogue as it implied that despite having two children, Katniss was never able to recover and spent the remainder of her days in the remnants of District 12, forever damaged beyond repair. On a much more satisfying note, as there was never any doubt in my mind that Katniss and Peeta would end up together, I was deeply touched by the novel's final lines before the epilogue where Katniss finally admits her love to Peeta through a touching exchange where Peeta asks "You love me. Real or not real?" and Katniss replies "Real." As was mentioned by Gale, Katniss would choose the boy she could not survive without and without a shadow of a doubt, that was always going to be Peeta given the characters' complimenting personalities and experiences in the games. In fact, I feel this would have been a better conclusion to the series as it provided hope that better days awaited the two lovers despite all the hardships and horrific nightmares that would forever burden them. As many have noted, Suzanne Collins succeeds in conveying her message that war is a terrible thing and that there can never be any victors but only survivors as demonstrated by the nonsensical and heart-breaking death of Prim.

Coming to the novel's end, I was saddened that this would be my last time reading about Katniss and Peeta whose friendship and devotion to one another allowed them to overcome the trials that were cruelly thrust upon them. Furthermore, I was greatly pleased to see that despite his unspeakable trauma, Peeta did in the end succeed in keeping his wish to remain unchanged as he had expressed in the first novel and although largely absent, Peeta is given the opportunity to demonstrate his inner strength towards the novel's end with his willingness to kill himself after realizing the danger he presents to Katniss and by ensuring that Katniss does not kill herself after shooting Coin. Now, if you asked me if Mockingjay was how I envisioned the final novel, my answer would be no. The thrill and excitement I had while reading the first two novels was largely replaced with grief and sorrow as Katniss was faced with one more crushing horror after the other and every passing page seemed to guarantee the loss of Peeta forever until the last 100 pages. As I said at the beginning of this review, I did not find this to be a bad book as it did succeed in telling a gripping story with characters who experienced very real emotions. I do feel however, that some things could have been improved upon such as the final confrontation and death of President Snow and the fates of certain characters such as Cinna, Haymitch and Gale. Now, although I can't say this book had a completely satisfying conclusion it did succeed in my opinion with respect to Katniss and Peeta's relationship although I do wish we could have seen more of the characters we had come to love in the first two novels. On the other hand, the events of Mockingjay do remind the reader of how special Katniss and Peeta's relationship is which was integral to my satisfaction from reading this book. Therefore, despite the pain I felt while reading this book, I am truly glad that I got around to reading this series and despite any reservations I may have against Mockingjay, this series did leave a strong impression on me and in the end, that is what made these books real to me.
on January 17, 2012
The one thing that put me off about Mockigjay was Katniss' attitude. She just kept on lashing out on everybody again and again. I know she's been through a lot but so has everyone else - give them a break! At the beginning of the series I believe I viewed her as a tough girl but in Mockingjay she was just downright cruel. She gets furious when someone acts unkind to her but when she does something similar to another she expects them to just take it. She was cold and a few times rather indifferent to the sufferings of many. Because of this I just didn't think she fit the role of a heroine well.

What I did like about the book is that it showed the atrocity of war. There was no romanticizing it. From the beginning to the end you can see the affect the war had on every single character. Even by then end of the book, Katniss has scars and you realize that they will never truly heal. And in the end the book taught a good lesson of war and humanity in general. It was also rather interesting seeing how the rebellion made Katniss into their mockingjay. How they prettied her up and shot her on camera to spread propaganda. It was rather creative of the author with all the ideas she came up for it.

I believe Mockingjay was a good conclusion, it was realistic, some might even find it depressing but overall the Hunger Games series deserves its popularity in my opinion. When the series first came out it didn't go with the current trend but yet brought us something fresh, unique and one heck of a story. An invaluable part of YA literature. Besides Katniss' attitude in Mockingjay I enjoyed this and the series as a whole because of the depth of the world and the originality and creativeness Collins put into the series. If you're a YA reader who hasn't read this series yet then I don't know what you're waiting for.
on February 23, 2012
I really liked this booked, I realize it received a lot of mixed reviews, and I fully understand why that is. Where the first two books had a lot of action, love, mystery etc. this one is very political and not a lot of romance at all. If you go in wanting to learn more about her and Gale or her and Peeta you will be disappointed. This book spends more time on Gale than the previous two books combined and Peeta does not have a big role in it at all. However, considering how much time was spent with Peeta in the previous two I was not surprised by this, as the audience really didn't know Gale. There is a fair amount of action, with Katniss' strong personality coming out and getting to know more about the other victor's. I agree that the author could have done a little more at with the ending but also realize that a lot of it was covered in the previous books and the choice was clear.
on August 25, 2010
SPOILER-FREE as long as you've read the first two books. (Just saying.)

Okay, going to be honest, this is not going to be an all-professional review where I analyze every aspect of it and blah blah blah. So here goes.

I found it very... capturing and interesting. All the chapters (as usual) end with a cliffhanger, so I was just constantly reading for the entire day trying to find out what would happen next. Throughout the entire series, I have become quite attached to the characters...so now it has left me quite sad after finishing the books. And I MISS them. That's a good thing, I would have to say, because it means that the author is good at creating the relationships between readers and the characters. But anyway, I'm not one to say things like, "This was DEFINITELY the best book of the series!" or things like that because if it's a good book, then I like it and I enjoy it. But basically, if you've read the other books in the series...I mean, you HAVE to find out what happens, right? Or who Katniss chooses? If the war will end? How it will end? And numerous other questions.

I think my only complaints about this book are that it was too short (can't be helped, though, I suppose), the ending, I'd have to say, did not end in my favor (can't be helped, either...), and that there were a lot of events throughout the book. I mean, in previous books, (and I'll use Catching Fire as an example) the main events in my opinion were the Victory tour, the idea of District 13 in existance, Peeta and Katniss being sent back into the Games, and the reveal of allies and that the rebellion has really started across the country. To me, these were the largest ideas/events. But in this book, there are either too many main events for me to even remember everything that's happened, or they're all too small for me to say in comparison to the rest of the story. If I was asked to name all the main events, I wouldn't be able to. I'll probably read this book again in the near future so that I can get a better grip and understanding on things. It's a little too busy, I guess you could say. So a lot of things happen in this book, but I guess that's what keeps it interesting! :D

So, my final words... If you've read the other books in the series, you HAVE to read it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I'll be honest, depending on what your POV is on the other books in the series, you may not enjoy this book as much as the others, and I know that this book does not and will not satisfy everyone, but I still suggest you read it anyway. If you've never read this series before, and are thinking about it... well, you may regret reading reading this review because you now know everything important that will happen in the second book. If you don't remember what I said, don't go back and read it. I don't want to spoil it for you. (Again.) (But you can't say I didn't warn you! IT'S IN THE FIRST LINE.) So even though you may already know, but you haven't actually read the series, well then I EVEN HIGHLY-er RECOMMEND IT! It's a great series.

4/5
I (almost-)highly RECOMMEND THIS BOOK/THE SERIES. PERIOD.
on January 7, 2012
This book was really good and I liked it I thought the very ending was nice but there was a lot of death in it and that made the book a little sad and this was probably the worst book of the series but the series was amazing, incredible, the greatest books of all time better than Harry Potter better than every book I've read and it is a series that will be read over and over again
on February 17, 2014
Not really getting pulled into the hype, I waited a long time to complete reading this series. The first two were okay; "Mockingjay", though depressing, was superior. If you read it, you'll find out if it's Peeta or Gale and that not all of the trilogy's characters get to see the fate of Panem.
on September 19, 2013
Would have liked a little more detail as to why things turned out the way they did. Too much emotional flatness, apathy bringing this series to a close. Katniss seems to never dare find any emotion. PTSD for sure, but, hey, she & Peta really paid their dues and deserve more real emotions.