summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2015
Purchased this for my son as a Christmas present overall the book was good however, we were sent the large print novel although I had ordered the book in regular print. The novel is well written but wasn't as good as the 2 previous books and the storyline seems a little bit more rushed compared to The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games Catching Fire.
on July 25, 2011
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked well for the previous two novels because Katniss was a main participant in all that occurred. However, in this book, one cannot help but feel cheated out of important events that would have resulted in a well rounded story.

Nevertheless, as a fan of the Hunger Games saga, this book is well worth the money and time. The reader just needs an avid imagination to fill in the rest of the blanks.
on September 25, 2010
I'm a big fan of the first 2 books of the hunger games and was very anxious to read the last book but it was so depressing all the way through. It's one negative thing after another. It's just too much sadness. Well, even after having read the other not so good reviews I wasn't expecting much and wasn't deterred because you pretty well have to finish a trilogy but I was disappointed. My heart still aches for a better third book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 19, 2013
I've delayed writing this review for months in the hope that time would soften my disappointment. I really, truly wished to like this series (despite the hype) and reading book 1 it seemed I would get my wish.... Alas, it was not to be....

Book 1: Book one started with a bang. We meet our heroine Katniss - she is simple, honest and ultimately good - she sacrifices herself to save her beloved sister. She is not perfect - her personality can be abrasive and she is a little too honest to play politics and games... at least at first. All-in-all, book 1 flew by, well written and well crafted. We see the characters begin to grow, and we mourn with them when they lose things that are dear to them. Rating: 5/5

Book 2: Essentially a rehash of book 1 in my view. Ultimately, I believe the author couldn't find anything to build on after the success of book 1. Slow, but still worth reading. Rating 4/5

Book 3: Utter disappointment. This book destroyed the entire series for me. The author takes the easy way out. I can't say much without spoiling this for potential readers, but Katniss takes a major step back in terms of character development. "Choices" aren't really made as if the author herself cannot bear to choose. The ending feels rushed as if the author was a high-school student pulling an all nighter to complete an essay in time for class. Events don't all make sense.... and many seem just pointless. I, as the reader, was left wondering what had happened.... and if the book was written by a ghostwriter (because honestly there was nothing of the well crafted book in this. Rating 1/5
On one hand, you could probably read the first 75 pages of "Mockingjay," skip to the final 75 and not feel like you've missed a whole lot in between. On the other hand, Collins' final instalment in "The Hunger Games" trilogy takes readers on such an intense journey that the ending feels satisfying after slogging through the middle.

Collins fills her pages with heavy violence, cruelty, death and sadness but also maintains a sense of honesty. Katniss, Peeta, Gale and even Coin come across as believable characters in the unbelievable hell that Panem becomes. The author embraces the brutality and horror of a post-apocalyptic world and displays the result of a human race at its breaking point

Battered, broken and challenged at every turn, the series' heroine, Katniss, never gives up. But the story's end doesn't come without scars and heartbreak; victory always has consequences. Readers will likely keep "The Hunger Games" in their thoughts long after turning the final page, especially since, at times, Panem doesn't seem all that imaginary.
on July 6, 2012
Does Mockingjay = Batman?

War has erupted and the Capitol and the rogue districts are battling it out. The rebels drawn together under the banner of District 13 (once thought to be destroyed) and seek to rally all the other districts against the oppression of the Capitol and their Hunger Games.

Suzanne Collins does an awesome job walking you through another journal of Katniss Everdeen as she discovers just how messed up her world really is. Peeta is captured and insane. District 13 is a hole in the ground... but one that provides shelter from the refugees of District 12. President Coin (District 13's president) proves to be just as manipulative as President Snow.

The adventure follows Katniss as she decides whether or not she wants to be the rebellion's figurehead: the Mockingjay. She eventually agrees and dons the suit (I get picturesin my head of a Batmanesque figure) and embarks on an adventure to discover just how little she is trusted even by District 13.

The ending seems to be something of a debate whether or not it is good. I will leave that to the reader to decide, but it does tie up all the loose ends (at least the ones I was paying attention to) so that the story has come to a close.

For the sheer fact of wanting to know what happens, I recommend this book, but I don't feel that it was as well written as the previous two in the series.
on December 31, 2011
I spent a whole week reading all three of the books from the Hunger Games series. After reading the first two, I couldn't contain my excitement over what I had read. After reading Mockingjay, I felt numb, shocked even. The author really makes you experience what it is like to be at war and the feeling stays with you after you put this book down.

*spoilers ahead*

After Katniss was picked up from the arena of the second hunger games, she finds herself being thrown into a different arena. This time she's not just a tribute, she is the Mockingjay of the rebels and a pawn in another game. Seeing her as a warrior on the battlefield was truly interesting. Gale and Katniss are no longer just hunting partners, they are soldiers. Fighting alongside each other for a cause that can ultimately cost them their lives. Collins excels at painting a picture of districts torn apart by war. It's chaotic, messy, brutal and at times very real.

There are so many twists in this story and at one point you find yourself questioning who you can trust. I would have never expected to ask myself if Katniss can trust Peeta, but it comes to that in this book. Peeta, who has been psychologically tortured by Snow returns as an angry, confused and fearful boy who doesn't know whats real anymore. It is truly heartbreaking to see him in this state, and equally infuriating to see Katniss not fighting to help him recover. Instead, I feel as if she gave up on him. Crying over the loss of the boy who once loved her and now fears her, considering putting an end to his life at various points in the book and even bitterly snapping at him every chance she gets.

I should warn readers that there are many deaths in this book. Some unnecessary and some long overdue. However, it is very realistic that there will be casualties and broken hearts as this is a book about war. In fact, it's a little too realistic. What bothers me is that we didn't have time to stop and grieve for some of the characters we love who have such horrible endings. Especially towards the end where we lose important characters but don't have the time to stop and process what happened because of the chaos that unfolds. The writing feels rushed at times, especially towards the ending.

Finally, one of the biggest issues I had was with Gale. While I understand how Katniss can never really look at him without being reminded of a certain tragedy that takes place, I find it cruel that she can blame him and ultimately end her friendship with him. They were best friends, family, hunting partners, soldiers and possibly even lovers. How can such a deep bond end with a few words and not even a real goodbye.

Overall, I think it is an important book to really understand the cost of war. Nobody really ends up being a winner. Lives are lost and those who live will have to carry the feeling of emptiness with them as they move on and try to rebuild their lives from the ashes of the destruction left behind. People change because after seeing such violence and brutality, how can they remain the same? Sacrifices are made for a better future and that is exactly what happens. As for the ending, don't expect it to be a fairytale ending. While you do see a glimpse of happiness and a better future, the ghosts of the past follow Katniss as the years go by. It was a bittersweet ending to an incredible series.
on September 15, 2010
I am a huge fan of the first two books. Not necessarily the best books i've EVER read, but definately the best books i've read in a long time. the third however, i'm not so sure about.

I don't have the same issues as alot of the other reviewers. I didn't expect a happy ending. But i did expect a more detailed ending. It seems like the author ran short on time and didn't get to develop the ending like it should have been done. Which, as i think about it, seems to be the problem with most of the book. It feels rushed. There were a few places where i was confused about who was who or couldn't imagine a scene based on her descriptions. I never had that problem while reading the first two.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it was the wonderful character and story development that got me hooked in the first place. That development is lacking in the last one.

I'm still recommending it to buy, if for no other reason, it finishes the trilogy. But, i have to admit, i'm feeling a little disappointed.
on December 10, 2013
This third and final chapter of the Hunger Games saga is a bit of a bore but, at least, there is closure. Actually, I must compliment the author in taking her time to end the story well. Unlike many thrillers where everything happens in the last 20 pages, this book and the story come to a slow, natural ending. I found the first half of the book pretty frustrating because Katniss is such a boring, whinny, self-centred character. Fortunately, the author provided enough distraction with the life in District 13 and other battles to keep me interested through the first part. The 2nd half of the book is better and the action picks up as the final confrontation with the Capitol starts. I'm glad that I read the whole series but, the 2nd and this 3rd book are nowhere near the quality of the first one. I give it 3 stars out of five (good).
on March 5, 2014
I'd been skeptical of this series, but after watching the Catching Fire film earlier this year, I thought - maybe this won't be so bad. The first film/book were okay. The second is definitely best. The third book took a bit of effort to get through and I definitely didn't enjoy it as much. There were times when I was speed reading just to get from one point to the next.
Personally, I hope that authors get off this first person kick. I prefer third. Hate spending an entire trilogy in one character's POV.