Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on September 16, 2011

I found the book to be too much like Hamlet. The author spent so much time introducing and building characters, only to kill them all off in the end. I don't mind if a character or two is killed, but 90% of the the people were wiped out. On that note, I don't like how she killed Prim. I thought it to be too drastic and as it was too close to the end of the book, there wasn't enough time to wrap your head around it. It happened, Kaniss went crazy, and the book ended; it just didn't seem to fit into the plot properly.

The first 2 books of the series were absolutely amazing! Perhaps this is why I expected so much more out of the third book and perhaps, with those expectations, that is why I was so let down. She spent so much time developing these amazing characters in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but then tore them apart in Mockingjay. Katniss was this strong, brave, intelligent fighter who turned into an emotional wreck. I understand that I'd probably be the same way if I were in her shoes, however, I'm not and that's not the character we grew to know and love in the first 2 books. To watch her fall apart in the 3rd was unpleasant and I found myself reading too quickly over the pages in order to get to the end faster in hopes of finding the original Katniss. As for Peeta, I really do wish that he had somehow completely overcome what Snow had done to him. To know that he doesn't and spends his life fighting it and wanting to strangle his wife, just didn't sit too well with me. And as for Gale....

I wasn't a Gale fan to begin with, but I'm also biased when there's two men fighting for the same girl. I pick my guy from the start and nothing will change my mind! I loved Peeta from the start but I loved Gale as well; I just didn't love him for Katniss, so you can imagine how upset I was with the way their relationship ended. They had an unbreakable friendship! He was in love with her, she was possibly in love with him. But in order for the author to make it work between Peeta and Katniss without the audience getting upset that it wasn't Gale, she turned him into a bad guy and dismissed him without any notice. He was the one who killed her sister, something completely unforgivable....

But before I go on, I would also like to give Katniss a good beating! No, he did not kill Prim on purpose. If it had been anyone else, it would have been fine! You went into this rebellion knowing that people would die! You went in knowing that Gale was helping design weapons and, although you weren't happy with it, you didn't stop him. I know you're not happy with the people you've killed, but you're now abandoning your best friend over an accidental kill? In the words of Katniss with the ending of her friendship, "No, instead I feel nothing but relief". This was what made me decide that the book was a let down. You just lost your sister, your home, your friends, and now you're WILLINGLY losing your BEST FRIEND!?!?!

...I would rather have seen Gale fall in love with someone else, or have him (I know it's hypocritical) die. At least then there would have been some form of closure.

There were many other small details that didn't sit too well with me, but I found this to be the most jarring. I know this book was written with political views on war and propaganda but I was hoping for a little more of a plot and a little more closure.
on March 30, 2012
I enjoy the first two books. I felt the third was rushed. It definitely took me longer to read, as it had less of my interest and attention. I didn't feel satisfied at the end. I felt upset and like I got hooked for a disappointment. The third book didn't seem to fit with the others, and I wonder if Suzanne rushed this last one. I was disappointed!
on June 16, 2012
Do not read further if you do not wish to learn plot details from the book and it's ending.

After the first two books that built on the characters that readers come to really care about, Collins herself seems to stop caring whether we had cared about them or not, and the resulting last installment is more a sloppy, gruesome "hunger games" than a civil war. There are countless unnecessary mutilation & deaths of most of the key characters, leaving just a small handful of the original characters alive, and we don't even get to know what happens to many of them at the end, with only a vague reference to Gale's fate. The freedom fighters seem to be as bad as the Capital in some areas, especially toward the end of the book when it is probable that they are responsible for the death of a group of children and then the first responders, including the character that Katniss had been fighting to save, her sister. This is made more probable by the fact that the leader of the resistance wants to have a final hunger games to sacrifice the innocent children of the Capital as a form of revenge.

This last book of the trilogy took the series from the surreal into head-shaking ridiculousness, with unbelievable, rose-scented "mutts", "pods" of death that they have a map for, but of course there are many, many undocumented ones that result in death & maiming in ever increasing levels of gruesomeness, to the point that Collins seems to just want to outdo herself in just how gruesome she can make death appear.

The Mockingjay reads more as a movie script than a book, obviously intended to become a feature film, though with this level of gruesomeness I personally wouldn't want to see on the big screen, and I'm not ordinarily the squeamish sort. The book also seems very rushed - especially at the end - as if there was quite a bit of pressure to complete it, or that Collins herself had started to lose interest in the characters and plot.

The ending was as anti-climatic as any ending of a book or movie could possibly be, seemed hurriedly written, disappointing in the extreme, and with many loose ends. We don't know what happens to her "stylists", Gale is skimmed over, and we're unsure of how stable Peeta is. We are left instead with a permanently damaged Katniss who is now an almost empty shell of what she once was, without family & friends, and stuck with a man whose own brokenness and potential instances of out-right homicidal insanity makes their life together as mates frankly unbelievable.
on October 1, 2011
I was okay with the plot of this book; its execution was what bothered me.

One of the things I loved about the original book, and, to a lesser extent, the second, was how well everything was paced. The places where the book slowed down and the places where it went a mile a minute felt natural. There was good flow. In Mockingjay, the plot seemed to move in fits and starts that didn't match the tempo of the events that were happening. A lot of the major events happen "off camera," so to speak, so much so that I began to question why we were still seeing the story through Katniss' eyes and not someone who was conscious or present for the events. Then, toward the end of the book, there's a rush of major events that don't seem to carry any emotional weight as the plot barrels through to the end. Now, I understand that Katniss would be in shock, and might not be feeling the full extent of the events, but it just felt...empty. Low impact. Rushed. I'm not sure I can properly qualify what I'm trying to say here, but it just didn't sit right with me. It didn't mesh with the Katniss I've come to know, and it felt as if I were reading a point form summary instead of the ending of the novel.

As well, I felt that the book's climax came out of nowhere, and the in-world reaction to it didn't make any sense to me. I actually reread the section several times trying to figure out why there wasn't a bigger uproar over what she did, or why she actually made that decision in the first place. The pieces of the puzzle are there and I can see what the author was trying to do, but they just don't fit together properly in my head. Feels forced.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with the execution of this book, particularly the last third of it. I do recommend that fans of the first two books read this one, but keep in mind that you may not be too happy with how the story is told.
on December 4, 2013
This last book of the trilogy was a let down. Constant self questioning on the part of the heroine (instead of letting the reader do so), silly plot turns, and a speedy 5 page 5 year ending contributed to this disaster. Best to just read the first two fantastic books and imagine your own final saga.
on April 5, 2012
Book 1 I give 5 stars, book 2 I give 7 stars! They were fantastic!

Book 3 - OMG what a huge disappointment! I now understand why my friends all say the same thing - you have to push yourself to get through it.

Read page 1-75 then skip to page 325 - you will not miss anything! It just goes on and on in circles, very slow pace and most is filler.

Katniss does not grow up, still acts as a badly brought teenager whereas her sister seems to be 30 years old.

And then there is Gale - a chicken s$%^%^&t! Can't go after the girl? whimp? And Peeta - hmmmm - they should have shot him at the beginning of the book - worthless!

There are sooo many problems in this book, so many things wrong with it. I will not list of talk about them because I do not want to spoil this book for other readers.

I thought "wow - the final chapter - this is going to be super!" but now I say "Why did I waste my money on this crap!"
on February 2, 2014
I liked the story, however the author seemed to jump all over the place. The editor should have smoothed this out, but clearly didn't. This is one time the movies were better tan the books.
on February 23, 2012
A disappointing book. I read the first one in a day, the second one in three days, and the last one in three weeks. Change of tone. Change of setting. Confusing cast of new characters. And-- most importantly-- an absence of real conflict for the first 2/3 of the book! Well, nothing beyond personality issues between characters that is. Violent and morally questionable decisions on the part of our young heroes later on in the story. They're like teen-age Jack Bauer(s) ("24") -- "darn it, we don't have a choice!" Ok for a mindless tv thriller geared for an older audience, but it felt strange and awkward for a "young adults"'s book.
on December 16, 2010
I didnt like this book as much as the other two. It felt rushed the entire way through and it felt empty and shallow. I just didnt care about the characters or what happened to them because it seems like the author didn't care about them. The book felt like I was quickly being told a cool story of something that happened but skipping over a bunch of parts I could have been interrested in hearing. At the end I was left saying "Thats it?"
on January 10, 2013
not as well written, nor as interesting.... am finishing it because I want to know the outcome, but it is not good reading.