5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series
I see many people complain that the ending was unsatisfying, but I personally loved it. For an original and epic story such as this one, the ending was just right. It was sad, of course, as most war stories are. But there was also a large element of hope, as the characters we've grown to love throughout the series find a way to live with the immense sorrow and ordeals...
Published on Jan. 9 2012 by ldnsara

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read...
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked...
Published on July 25 2011 by Toewser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 516 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Read it only if you must finish your trilogies., Oct. 4 2014
Joe Brindle "Joe Brindle" (Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This third book is profoundly unsatisfying to me as a reader. The plot is contrived. The protagonist becomes a boring self absorbed sort of creature. The story feels rushed and doesn't fit well with the first if second volumes. I was really hoping for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good summer read, July 23 2012
I found the final book in the series to be different enough to keep me interested and light enough so that I could pick it up when I had some time to spare but put it down when my attention got diverted... all in all I found it was a good summer read

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 28 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Originally reviewed on my blog: [...]

Mockingjay is the final book in The Hunger Games trilogy. It is now time for District 13 to really make themselves known to the world and to the Capitol. With the help of their mockingjay (Katniss), the people of District 13 intend to take down the Capitol and change the world as they know it. Gale is also there to help with the uprising alongside Katniss, but Peeta is not able to help for reasons that will become clear when you read the book. You will absolutely hate the Capitol more than ever in this book, but will you like District 13 any better? It begins to become clear that the government and president of District 13 might not be much better than that of the Capitol. The book is filled with action, shocking twists and turns, and will make you want to kill the Capitol yourself!

I gave Mockingjay a rating of 6.5 because I was, surprisingly, very disappointed with it. I absolutely LOVED the first two books of this trilogy, but this one was extremely disappointing. In the previous books, Katniss was always right in the middle of the action and kicking butt. But, in this book, it seemed as though Katniss was always messed up and in the hospital instead of helping the battle towards the Capitol. She is involved in some action, of course, but not at the more important times. Collins also did not show some of the action that the reader is anticipating, such as the rescue of Peeta or a lot of the actual destruction of the Capitol.

I was also EXTREMELY disappointed with the ending. What is the point in reading two fantastic books and then ending the third one in such a disappointing fashion? In my opinion, the last book should be the best book, otherwise you are just left with an incomplete, depressing feeling...or is that just me? The ending of this book felt very rushed. It did not seem complete. It did not describe as much as it should have in order to give a complete feeling. I'm not sure what was happening with Collins during this ending, since she has demonstrated her wonderful writing skills in the first two books. Maybe it was the pressure of a deadline. Maybe because the first two were so successful, she felt the need to rush through this one to satisfy fans? However, rushing through the writing will not satisfy fans!!!

I still suggest that you read the trilogy, as the first two are well worth reading. Just don't get your hopes up for a thrilling, satisfying completion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a letdown, March 12 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Alright I will admit I read the entire series in the course of 5 days so maybe when I got to Mockingjay I had high expectations. Those expectations certainly were not met by Mockingjay. I don't think this is a bad book but, at least for me, it was the worst in the series and had many areas I found the author left unpolished.

This installment in the series is definitely takes a change of pace. Katniss is literally thrown head first into the symbolic role for the entire rebellion. She struggles with physical aliments, moral dilemmas, serious debilitating changes in old friends... Altogether you see Katniss more as what she is, a 17 year old girl. She is fallible and fragile throughout the entire book and you see the darkness in the world around her definitely taking its toll on her in this book. If your expecting the same strong Katniss you read in Hunger Games or Catching Fire your going to be very disappointed.

Another thing that struck me was the author seems to really focus both on the war and on how it is affecting Katniss while throwing in random character developments here and there. Altogether I found this approach shallow and I was left wanting more of everything. There isn't enough focus on Katniss and her struggles for me to really resonate with her like I could in the previous installments, yet there also isn't enough explanation of the war for me to every really know whats going on either. My biggest complaint though was the treatment of supporting characters....

The most infuriating thing about this book was definitely the treatment of supporting characters. First the development of supporting characters in Mockingjay is poor at best. You are introduced to a few new characters that you get to know very little about as the book focuses on Katniss being a pale shadow of her prior self. 3rd party characters you liked in the past fall to the sidelines and are essentially ignored. Sure there are a few developments in characters like Johanna or Finnick but they are shallow at best and the writing doesn't make you feel anything for them. The characters developed most are Gale, Petta and Katniss which I guess is obvious because the love triangle thing. But as I mentioned with Katniss above, all of these characters are developed drastically different then in the past. One such development leading to a rift being developed between the characters.

Also unlike the other books where you basically know that characters Katniss has hardly met die off as sport, everyone is on the chopping block in Mockingjay. Many characters that you've come to really like over the course of the series are killed off indiscriminately. This wouldn't normally bother me as I find it can really emotionally engage you into a book if done well, like how the author handled Rue. Unfortunately again in Mockingjay author seems to make no effort to show the impact of the loss of these characters on Katniss or the reader. Often their deaths are absolutely and utterly meaningless and you get either; no sympathy/emotion from the author or Katniss, or, not enough time/exposure to feel anything about the loss other then confusion.

For me the first half of the book was much better then the end. As other reviewers have mentioned I found the last 100 pages or so to be very rough, rushed and altogether annoyed me in their shallowness. The plot is pieced together and while it makes sense the sheer hatred you feel for Snow is dulled as he falls to the sidelines like pretty much every other 3rd party character in this book.

In closing I found this to be a good book that shows off the darkness, and futility of war and the moral flaws in human character. I would still suggest reading it, and would recommend the series for sure, but do expect to be surprised by the change in pace in Mockingjay.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pace Issues Prevent Mockingjay from Truly Soaring, Nov. 28 2011
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
The Hunger Games trilogy has been one of my favorite series to come out in recent years. The first book was so original, with this amazing premise, fantastic action, and legitimately heart pounding moments, that book had it all. Catching Fire, the second in the trilogy, was not quite as amazing as the first, but that is only because it lacked the sheer uniqueness and originality of the first. The action was fantastic, and the way the Quarter Quell was set up like a clock was absolutely genius. The cliffhanger ending left me wanting more, and I was eagerly awaiting, like so many others, to see how Collins would wrap it up in Mockingjay.

Well, I was disappointed. There are a number of reasons why I was disappointed, but I am going to start off with the positives. First, this novel once again had a fantastic story. Several new characters are introduced who are truly interesting, and so many layers are added which provide social commentary that the messages are almost staggering for what is considered to be a series aimed at young adults. The action was also spectacular as usual, albeit in a much different way. The war scenes felt brutal and real, which was necessary for the novel to convey this message. I also enjoyed the way Collins first introduced us to this new setting, as it was so much different than any of the previous novels. Outside of the confines of the actual Hunger Games, the world is even more brutal, which was honestly shocking and unsettling.

However, all of these things only go so far. The biggest issues with this book are pacing issues. The novel moves at almost a snail's pace in the beginning. However, by the end of the book, so much is happening on seemingly every page that each revelation is not given the necessary time to breathe, and in particular the deaths are never fully felt as the proper time is not allocated to grieve the loss of such important characters. Another issue was with the characterization of Katniss and a few others. I thought Collins in many ways betrayed the Katniss I had grown to love over the course of the novel. While I understood her reasons for having Katniss act in a more servile manner, I still felt that her actions were mostly boring and not fun to read about. Also, once the Katniss we had known did finally come through towards the end of the novel, the pacing did not allow the reader to revel in the return of the beloved character.

Also, while the scenes were brutal and realistic and definitely powerful, they were unfortunately not very fun to read. I understand that it is not always about fun when reading a novel, and sometimes it's good to get depressed and feel something powerful, however with the way this brutality is presented here, it's almost matter of fact, taking away anything interesting about the brutality, leaving only the thought that anyone in power is terrible and that the world is ravaged by war and blah blah blah.

Overall, while I enjoyed the book, it was just such a letdown from the original first two novels to see a novel that was so, standard. The warfare was so much less interesting than the Hunger games that I would almost have enjoyed the book more if Katniss had somehow magically found herself in an actual third hunger games. WHile it would have made no sense, at least it would have been unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruel, Amazing, Balsy!, Aug. 28 2010
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Katniss made it out of the Games alive for a second time, but the Games won't really be over until the Capitol is defeated. She has to deal with the loss of her home, her friends and more importantly Peeta who's been taken by the Capitol and probably tortured as she is being patched up by district 13 medics. Barely hanging onto her sanity, she will have to step up her game and raise the crowds in hopes of removing President Snow from his dictatorship.

There is a lot of controversy around the final installment in the series, I read that many were disappointed and I think I know why. Suzanne Collins isn't into sugarcoating. Mockingjay is raw, cruel, tragic, heart-breaking, violent, sad, utterly amazing and BALSY. The whole story is bittersweet, so everyone hoping for a walk-in-the-park happy ending (have they read the same first two books as me to hope that?) will be baffled.

Collins writes her story with such intensity that it's sometimes hard to bare. The desperation Katniss and especially Finnick live are described so perfectly that you find yourself locked in the feeling. I have to admit I cried in more than one occasion. So many tragic events happens, and none of which I expected. When I finished the book I found myself wondering how an author can kill so many important characters and still make it work.

I loved every pages of this book and I'm sad it's the last one. The end was powerful and the epilogue brought a bit of much needed closure.

I most definitely recommend this series to everyone, young and adults alike. It's not my usual kind of read but I fell for it heals over head. Suzanne Collins is a genius and I can't wait to see what her next project will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Sept. 18 2013
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I loved these books! The book was in great condition. If your stuck on thinking if you should finish the serious or not, you should. I bought it because after reading the first book it was that great that I decided to collect them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what most people wanted but brilliant because of this, Aug. 26 2010
*****SPOILER ALERT*****

The more that I reflect on this book, the more I realize how brilliant Suzanne Collins is.

I think that prior to the book's release, most of us would have predicted that Katniss would end up with Gale or Peeta (but in a way that would not lead to hurt feelings), District 13 would triumph over President Snow, and the whole country would live happily ever after. Probably this more traditional sort of denouement would have pleased more people but I really believe that it would have rendered the whole series trite and forgettable. Likely the only discussion that would have been triggered by such an ending would be whether you're Team Peeta or Team Gale.

If I had to choose a word to describe this book, I would say that it's "raw". The events of the final book break Katniss down, and although some people are critical, saying that Katniss fails to mature and develop as a character, I would argue that what happens to her is infinitely more realistic and meaningful. We are talking about a 17 year old girl, who has known poverty and hunger her whole life, who has been forced into life-threatening situations and has seen her loved ones injured and killed. She watched her sister burn to death in front of her, and she herself suffered agonizing injuries. Maybe it would have been more formulaic and typical of young adult novels if she'd simply shaken it off and kept going unscathed but changed for the better; however, her very normal reactions make the horror of the situation really hit home for me.

My feeling is that art should reflect reality, and I think some people are disappointed because when it comes down to it, reality is not about everything being wrapped up in a neat little package.

2.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment!, April 5 2012
This review is from: Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Book 1 I give 5 stars, book 2 I give 7 stars! They were fantastic!

Book 3 - OMG what a huge disappointment! I now understand why my friends all say the same thing - you have to push yourself to get through it.

Read page 1-75 then skip to page 325 - you will not miss anything! It just goes on and on in circles, very slow pace and most is filler.

Katniss does not grow up, still acts as a badly brought teenager whereas her sister seems to be 30 years old.

And then there is Gale - a chicken s$%^%^&t! Can't go after the girl? whimp? And Peeta - hmmmm - they should have shot him at the beginning of the book - worthless!

There are sooo many problems in this book, so many things wrong with it. I will not list of talk about them because I do not want to spoil this book for other readers.

I thought "wow - the final chapter - this is going to be super!" but now I say "Why did I waste my money on this crap!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Hunger games books, June 25 2014
I wanted to read the book before the movie went out. Good book. I liked the whole serie.
Recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 516 | Next ›

Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games
Mockingjay: The Final Book of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - Aug. 24 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43