5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Twenty-four children: twelve boys, twelve girls, tributes selected by random lottery every year and sent to the capitol city of Panem to compete in a brutal, bloodthirsty fight for survival, with the last participant standing declared champion.

Published on Sept. 25 2008 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good
The book was well written and it kept my attention pretty well. Interesting concept and I intend to read the next one.
Published 21 months ago by Tammy Rossetti

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Sept. 25 2008
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)

Welcome to the Hunger Games, a grim reminder to those living in the twelve districts comprising what was once the United States of their place as virtual slaves to the gleaming Capitol at their center.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen is this year's female representative for District 12, having volunteered to take her younger sister Prim's place. Sent to the arena with the baker's son and classmate, Peeta Mellark -- a boy who, several years prior, saved Kat and her family from the ravages of starvation after her father's death in a coal mining accident -- neither competitor from the final district seem to be contenders.

But Peeta's good nature and Kat's small stature belie the former's cunning intelligence and the latter's experience as a hunter; while a revelation from Peeta during the introductory ceremonies sends Katniss into the first day of competition more than a little off-kilter.

The stage is set, the tributes have arrived, and the cameras are watching...let the games begin.

It is no exaggeration to call THE HUNGER GAMES a pulse-pounding page-turner. Collins grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. While Katniss isn't always the most likable character (in fact, there were plenty of times I much preferred the affable Peeta, or even sweet, birdlike little Ruth), she is always compelling, thanks to her rational approach to every challenge and her dogged determination.

While THE HUNGER GAMES is a plot-driven novel, the characters and their relationships are the heart of the story. Ms. Collins has created a dystopian tale of Orwellian caliber for young adults, giving any reader plenty to churn their minds between now and the next installment of this trilogy.

My only complaint is having to wait for the next installment.

Reviewed by: Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., Oct. 31 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
The 74th Annual Hunger Games are soon to begin. The Hunger Games are a fight to the death. In the new country of Panem, in the ruins of North America, each year as punishment for a rebellion and as a control mechanism, the Capitol forces each of the 12 provinces to draw names of a male and female tribute. The tributes are drawn from all people between the ages of 12 and 18. They receive training, are assessed by the game masters and then the betting begins. The games will be televised and are required viewing for the whole nation.

The draws are not exactly even though. You can choose to enter your name extra times, for yourself and for family members to receive a terse, a grain and oil supplement from the government. Thus enters our heroine Katniss Everdeen. She is entered this year 20 times as she is 16 and taken the terse every year, for herself, her sister and her mother. Her close friend Gale has his name in 42 times, but this is the last year he is eligible. Then Katniss has the worst fear hit - her younger sister Prim (short for Primrose) is drawn with her 1st and only ballot. Katniss then does the unthinkable; she volunteers to take Prim's place.

Katniss Everdeen knows that she has at least some chance of survival in the games. She has been secretly hunting in the woods and feeding her family since her father died years earlier. She hunts and gathers what she can with her friend and hunting partner Gale, in the woods beyond the fenced border of District 12. Yet even so, most believe she has just given up her life for her sisters.

Katniss and Peeta Mellark are the tributes from District 12 for the 74th annual hunger games. As they travel to the capitol they have two mentors - Haymitch Abernathy the only surviving Hunger Games winner from the district and Effie Trinket the Capitol's representative in the district. They will each in their own way try to help them to survive both the Capitol, to win favor with the citizens who can sponsor them in the games, and then the games themselves.

This book is very well written, the scenes sharp and crisp, the world believable and detailed. The characters become real as you read. You reach the end and are left hungry for more, which is what you will get as this is book one in a trilogy. The only drawback in my opinion is the lack of a map. I keep hoping for a map of Panem, with the 12 districts, the mysterious destroyed 13th district and the wilderness area's between them. Maybe it is just a guy thing, but I wanted a map. In this book Twenty-four are forced to enter the game zone but only the winner survives. You get a sample online. You can read chapter 1 online but it will only whet your appetite for more. There is also a video trailer for the book you can find online. This is a great Sci-fi book and would make an excellent movie.

(First Published in Imprint 2008-10-31.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Incredible Incredible, March 1 2009
Alee Dmc "Alee Dmc" (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
For a full day this book sucked me deep into it's incredible story... time passed and I didn't notice. I couldn't stop reading until I was done. Then on the last page I read, 'End of Book One' and my mouth fell open, my stomach dropped. I didn't get to know the end of the story. There's so much more to come... and another book to be released in Sept. I have another day off tomorrow and I'd really rather just have the next book now and spend another day in bed entranced by the next part of this amazing story.

I'm a teacher and I also work in a childrens book store. I read a review about this book and was intrigued. The description reminded me of a Japanese horror movie called "Battle Royale" which follows a similar storyline. That movie was great, but utterly disturbing and full of gore. So, I really wanted to read this book intended for youth, wondering how the author could have a similar story but not have it turn out as disturbing for the young readers. She succeeded. I'm still not even sure how, but she did it! Incredible.

I will be recommending this to friends my age, other book lovers, the book buyers at my store, teachers and youth (with a warning about the material as it still is about an upseting game/war). I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A social commentary, Dec 1 2008
Susie Sharon (Orleans, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
A few things I did not know until after I read this book : 1) it is sold as a "young adult" book. Didn't know and frankly, glad I picked it up anyway. 2) It's the first of three books. Again, glad I read it anyway.

This book is, in a twisted way, a social commentary on our society, obsessed with their bodies, fixated on the new reality show, oblivious of what is actually going on in the world around them. I can actually see something like this book happening to us in the not-so-far future. And it is scary.

The people that run the fictional country of this story are in power and they know how to wield it over the rest of their nation. They are the have-it-all and they don't share. Because they rebelled at one point, ages ago, the better part of the nation has to suffer and they do without... anything, really. And to better control them, the leaders pack a bunch of kids every year and make them fight to the death in front of a TV audience.

I won't give away any more of the story but I hope that if you read this book, you will get the irony of the people watching the games, obsessed with their appearences while young kids are forced to kill each other.

A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!, Jan. 28 2010
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
My niece who is 12 years old told me that her teacher was reading The Hunger Games to her class, she said it was this amazing book and thought I should read it and everyone loves it. I thought at first if my 12-year-old niece loves it, maybe it would be a little too immature for me. Heck was I wrong. What a great read. You can probably see that by reading all these good reviews! It is so exciting and thrumming with excitement I couldn't put it down. I finished The Hunger games and Catching fire in only a few days. I thought it might be a weird concept at first but I really was hooked right from the beginning. I loved all the descriptions the author gave and I felt like I was going through what Katniss was going through. I am telling everyone I know to read this one. I don't think there will be anyone who doesn't like this book or the next in the series! Absolutely Fantastic! I just wish I didn't have to wait all the way until August 24th for the next one! Oh the suspense...

5.0 out of 5 stars lives up to all the hype, Oct. 6 2013
I had absolutely no interest in reading these books. Saw the movie and thought it was ok, but still wasn't planning on reading them. Then someone I totally respect told me just how good they were, so I picked them up, and oh my goodness.....I was hooked immediately! Definitely lives up to all the hype, and of course the book is WAY better than the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Q: Book Addict : Visit my blog for newest reviews., Nov. 5 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
'The Hunger Games' is a post-apocalyptic, dystopian novel where the government hosts an annual game. The annual game is a random lottery where twelve boys and twelve girls, one from each district are selected to participate in a life and death battle. The 'Hunger Games' is a televised event used to remind the districts that the Capital exerts the control.

Katniss Everdeen is the narrator of the story. She volunteers to participate in the game when her younger sister Prim is randomly drawn. The two members for District twelve are Katniss and Peeta. Peeta reveals on-air his love for Katiniss which ultimately grabs the attention of the audience. The audience members are permitted to sponsor a child and send gifts throughout the game. Katniss realizes they must uphold the role of star-crossed lovers to maintain their sponsors. She believes this is essential to her survival. When a rule is changed in the game, Peeta and Katniss' relationship becomes even more important.

I thought the plot was unique and interesting. I do enjoy dystopian novels, and I had to begin reading the second book right away. I highly recommend the trilogy, and I understand what all the rave was about. Go, and buy your copy right away, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dystopian novel!, Oct. 23 2009
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Now I know why people are raving about this book. It was GREAT! the closer I got to the ending of the book, the more excited I got and the more I wanted to just finish reading it and ignore all the distractions around me. Everything about it got my attention. The idea of the games where everybody fights to the death is just so macabre because its' participants are the ages in their teens or a little bit younger. Just the idea of that fits wonderfully to the dystopian theme. Background information regarding how the world came to be like this is explained by Katniss herself as she's the narrator through the novel. She explains how she loses her father in an accident, how after that she became the main supporter of her family, her strenuous relationship with her mother, and her loving protecting relationship with her little sister Prim.

Katniss is a strong character, having come from a hard background, The Hunger Games could have been an easy win for her (of course that's not always the case) of course she goes through a lot of obstacles and still ends up being in a lose lose situation even up to the end. With her background being the way it is, she seems very hostile and hard to approach, even hard to like. That's exactly how I felt about her in the beginning. Not to say I didn't like her, it's just her actions and her words made her very hard to like. I tended to gravitate toward Peeta more. What I really liked is the "relationship" between Peeta and Katniss. Peeta is such a strong, silent type character you can't help but admire him. He is the exact opposite from Katniss yet I feel that they look great together. They are the perfect example of opposites attract. Towards the end though, Katniss seemed more likable and more approachable. She lost that hostility and replaced it with a maturity which seemed to have developed throughout the Games. It was really interesting to see her develop through the novel.

The plot was great and there's no stop in the action which made the plot fly by faster and made you more engrossed into the book. It was very well written, and the characters in it were wonderfully created and well rounded. I loved Peeta and Katniss. The ending made me want to get out and get the second book, I was a little sad at the way it ended and yet the little girl in me wanted a rose colored ending which of course would not really be possible in a dystopian novel. What I really liked about the plot are the sudden twists that came with the Games. The sudden change in the rules, or even the way the game is played out varies from day to day for the contestants so the plot reflected those types of changes as well. You were relaxed one minute, the next minute there was a twist in the plot that left you wanting to scream. Even towards the end I was waiting for some sort of plot twist, I just couldn't trust the way it ended.

Overall an excellent novel. I'm glad I've taken the time to take this out from the library and read it. I don't regret it one bit

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome. period., March 9 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone! there's never a dull moment and it was so hard for me to put the book down to finally go to sleep. it's descriptive and, even though there isn't much dialogue sometimes, you can tell it isn't really needed because it's just that good! it's completely action-packed and witty.

when i first started the book, i must admit that i didn't have high expectations for it, but i was WRONG. this is a book that can actually get you interested within the first few pages, unlike some others where introductions drag on. the ending was a good ending, but it was a little saddening...(i refuse to say "depressing".) and i'm not quite sure what time it takes place in, with all the super high-tech stuff making it seem future-like, but the style of living and the actual hunger games itself making it seem more past-time and old-fashion-like...so i'm a little confused there.

anyway, other than those past two comments, this is a FABULOUS book.

by the way the ending was written, it didn't seem to be possible to have a sequel, but i am so glad that there is going to be!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games, Jan. 5 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is the first book in a trilogy that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The Capitol is a dictatorship that demands each Sector provide one female and one male candidate who are between the ages of twelve and eighteen to fight for life in the "Hunger Games". Only one person of the twenty-four candidates will survive the games; it is a battle for life or death and it is all broadcasted on television for the viewer's pleasure or displeasure if you are the family of one of the contestants.

Katniss is sixteen years old and lives in Sector twelve within the nation of Panem that was once North America. Her twelve year old sister's name is chosen to participate in the games, but Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss has been living her life already on the edge and is well prepared to battle within the games. Peeta the baker's son is the male candidate from Sector 12 and he happens to be infatuated with Katniss, but does she feel the same way?

Peeta and Katniss are portrayed as star-crossed lovers at the games and the audience loves it. Katniss grabs at the chance to increase her odds of surviving the games while Peeta truly does love Katniss; it is not until the end that Katniss realizes that Peeta is not pretending to love her to increase his odds of survival.

This is an intriguing story and young adults will ravishingly read it; my daughter read it within twenty-four hours. She simply could not put it down and the only disappointment she experienced was finding out there is to be two more books and she has to wait until September, 2009 for the second one.

I enjoyed this book and read it quickly and when I was done it was like losing a friend, I do look forward to meeting this friend again in September, 2009.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - July 1 2010)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.82