Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 11-20 of 124 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
'The Hunger Games' is a post-apocalyptic, dystopian novel where the government hosts an annual game. The annual game is a random lottery where twelve boys and twelve girls, one from each district are selected to participate in a life and death battle. The 'Hunger Games' is a televised event used to remind the districts that the Capital exerts the control.

Katniss Everdeen is the narrator of the story. She volunteers to participate in the game when her younger sister Prim is randomly drawn. The two members for District twelve are Katniss and Peeta. Peeta reveals on-air his love for Katiniss which ultimately grabs the attention of the audience. The audience members are permitted to sponsor a child and send gifts throughout the game. Katniss realizes they must uphold the role of star-crossed lovers to maintain their sponsors. She believes this is essential to her survival. When a rule is changed in the game, Peeta and Katniss' relationship becomes even more important.

I thought the plot was unique and interesting. I do enjoy dystopian novels, and I had to begin reading the second book right away. I highly recommend the trilogy, and I understand what all the rave was about. Go, and buy your copy right away, you will not be disappointed!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 23, 2009
Now I know why people are raving about this book. It was GREAT! the closer I got to the ending of the book, the more excited I got and the more I wanted to just finish reading it and ignore all the distractions around me. Everything about it got my attention. The idea of the games where everybody fights to the death is just so macabre because its' participants are the ages in their teens or a little bit younger. Just the idea of that fits wonderfully to the dystopian theme. Background information regarding how the world came to be like this is explained by Katniss herself as she's the narrator through the novel. She explains how she loses her father in an accident, how after that she became the main supporter of her family, her strenuous relationship with her mother, and her loving protecting relationship with her little sister Prim.

Katniss is a strong character, having come from a hard background, The Hunger Games could have been an easy win for her (of course that's not always the case) of course she goes through a lot of obstacles and still ends up being in a lose lose situation even up to the end. With her background being the way it is, she seems very hostile and hard to approach, even hard to like. That's exactly how I felt about her in the beginning. Not to say I didn't like her, it's just her actions and her words made her very hard to like. I tended to gravitate toward Peeta more. What I really liked is the "relationship" between Peeta and Katniss. Peeta is such a strong, silent type character you can't help but admire him. He is the exact opposite from Katniss yet I feel that they look great together. They are the perfect example of opposites attract. Towards the end though, Katniss seemed more likable and more approachable. She lost that hostility and replaced it with a maturity which seemed to have developed throughout the Games. It was really interesting to see her develop through the novel.

The plot was great and there's no stop in the action which made the plot fly by faster and made you more engrossed into the book. It was very well written, and the characters in it were wonderfully created and well rounded. I loved Peeta and Katniss. The ending made me want to get out and get the second book, I was a little sad at the way it ended and yet the little girl in me wanted a rose colored ending which of course would not really be possible in a dystopian novel. What I really liked about the plot are the sudden twists that came with the Games. The sudden change in the rules, or even the way the game is played out varies from day to day for the contestants so the plot reflected those types of changes as well. You were relaxed one minute, the next minute there was a twist in the plot that left you wanting to scream. Even towards the end I was waiting for some sort of plot twist, I just couldn't trust the way it ended.

Overall an excellent novel. I'm glad I've taken the time to take this out from the library and read it. I don't regret it one bit
on March 9, 2009
This is a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone! there's never a dull moment and it was so hard for me to put the book down to finally go to sleep. it's descriptive and, even though there isn't much dialogue sometimes, you can tell it isn't really needed because it's just that good! it's completely action-packed and witty.

when i first started the book, i must admit that i didn't have high expectations for it, but i was WRONG. this is a book that can actually get you interested within the first few pages, unlike some others where introductions drag on. the ending was a good ending, but it was a little saddening...(i refuse to say "depressing".) and i'm not quite sure what time it takes place in, with all the super high-tech stuff making it seem future-like, but the style of living and the actual hunger games itself making it seem more past-time and i'm a little confused there.

anyway, other than those past two comments, this is a FABULOUS book.

by the way the ending was written, it didn't seem to be possible to have a sequel, but i am so glad that there is going to be!!!!
on January 5, 2009
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is the first book in a trilogy that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The Capitol is a dictatorship that demands each Sector provide one female and one male candidate who are between the ages of twelve and eighteen to fight for life in the "Hunger Games". Only one person of the twenty-four candidates will survive the games; it is a battle for life or death and it is all broadcasted on television for the viewer's pleasure or displeasure if you are the family of one of the contestants.

Katniss is sixteen years old and lives in Sector twelve within the nation of Panem that was once North America. Her twelve year old sister's name is chosen to participate in the games, but Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss has been living her life already on the edge and is well prepared to battle within the games. Peeta the baker's son is the male candidate from Sector 12 and he happens to be infatuated with Katniss, but does she feel the same way?

Peeta and Katniss are portrayed as star-crossed lovers at the games and the audience loves it. Katniss grabs at the chance to increase her odds of surviving the games while Peeta truly does love Katniss; it is not until the end that Katniss realizes that Peeta is not pretending to love her to increase his odds of survival.

This is an intriguing story and young adults will ravishingly read it; my daughter read it within twenty-four hours. She simply could not put it down and the only disappointment she experienced was finding out there is to be two more books and she has to wait until September, 2009 for the second one.

I enjoyed this book and read it quickly and when I was done it was like losing a friend, I do look forward to meeting this friend again in September, 2009.
on July 7, 2013
I read this book and I thought it was fantastic, a really good read. Then I went on and read the other two books. after reading the first one and re-reading it again I got a little curious, 74th hunger games, 12 districts, two from each district, so 24 tributes in total. So I decided to see how many had died or had been apart in total for the games. so I times 74 by 24 and it equaled 1776. I thought this was quite odd and just wondering if any body else had seen this. also I read hunger games and philosophy and there was no mention of what I stated above. I also went on and read Gary Allen's book none dare call it conspiracy. page 121 was quite interesting it described in intricate detail a hunger games style world, he even mentions districts and "peace keepers" I would strongly suggest for people out there to read that book as well. also that book came out in 1972 and hunger games came out in 2008.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 2, 2013
Revision after reading the trilogy then seeing the movie:

If you are considering watching the movie, you MUST read the book also. The movie wasn't able to create the overwhelming feeling of the poverty and desperation the people of the districts were going through, nor did it properly portray the anguish and terror of the games themselves. The movie was good but the book was much more "real".

Original review:

I loved this book as soon as I started reading it and I devoured it in a couple of days. It really left me wanting more and thankfully there was more. All three books in the series were really good, but the last one ended, I feel, a little short of details. Should be interesting to see how much the movie leaves out.
on July 21, 2013
Loved this whole series, from the unique concept, to the compassion and courage of Katniss, to the details of the homes, community set ups, events and mixed deep emotions the characters deal with each day . Suzanne Collins draws you into this sad but brave new world, making you care about the people and their needs and longings right from page one. Characters are strong and well developed revealing new depths as the story unfolds. I haven't loved a series of books this much in a very long time! A slightly similar book with a strong determined female character for younger readers of 9-13 years of age would be For the Love of Petey....a great summer e-book read for both boys and girls.
on February 2, 2009
Incredible. Thrilling. Shocking. Sad.

So many different adjectives came to mind as I was reading this incredible tale of a sixteen year old girl who took her younger sister's place in a fatal event. The relationship you build with the characters is one stronger then you could ever imagine when reading a fiction novel.

My eyes grew coated with tears numerous times throughout this story; out of happiness, sadness, shock. It tugs you along an eventful and emotional road, and not once do you want to stop. Not once do you want to put the book down.

I strongly suggest this to any readers who enjoy fiction and suspense, and I hope that more people will discover the talent of Suzanne Collins.
on July 15, 2014
Could you kill a human being?

Could you kill 23 of them?

What if you had no choice?

For the last few days, you’ve been training mentally and physically in the Capitol for the Hunger Games. Living in the poor mining community of District 12, your mouth waters every time you breathe the lovely smells of savoury soups, fresh breads, fragrance fruits, and sweet desserts. It has been ages since you’ve scrubbed away the dirt and the grime from your skin with hot water and soap, and dressed in clean clothes. You are treated like royalty, but then you remember tomorrow they send you into the arena. Will you kill for survival or die to keep your morals?

Complete Review: [...]
on March 27, 2009
I stumbled across this book by accident and decided to read something that I would normally pass on - science fiction for teens. However, the reviews were intriguing and I was in the mood for a good page-turner. And, I was not disappointed. This is a guaranteed good read. I made the book last for three evenings, but truthfully, I could have gobbled it down in one afternoon. It's original, compelling, and endearing. I found the naming a little awkward, but I loved the heroine, Katniss, regardless of her name. I was thrilled to see that the author is planning a second book.